Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
AML decals LA-5 question
Sovietwarplanes
March 19, 2024, 05:26:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AML decals LA-5 question  (Read 8501 times)
B_Realistic

« on: June 29, 2012, 09:18:24 AM »

Hi,

does anyone has some input concerning AML decals?
Use, thickness, historical correct?
I want to buy this sheet for the decals of red 58.

http://www.eshop.aml.cz/lang-en/decals-1-48/199-lavochkin-la-5.html

Michel
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 01:06:31 PM »

Hi Michel,
all what I have on red 58 is here.
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/la5/chkalov/chkalow58.html.
However, I see that AML gives an asymmetric base pattern for black and green on the fuselage. This looks unlikely, the camo pattern of La-5s was strongly standardized and the bands on the fuselage should be symmetric as, for example, this one.
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/la5/chkalov/chkalow60.html
I've heard that AML decals are very thin and difficult to place, but I haven't a direct experience of this.
Regards
Massimo
B_Realistic

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 02:35:11 PM »

Massimo,

thing is that the decals included in the kit white 60 from Chkalov have been faded yellow and are not clear white anymore.
So if I know the trick how to make it white again I use the ones included in the kit.
Thanks for the links.  Grin

Michel
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 05:49:29 PM »

Hi,
I see. I meant that the camo pattern is the same for all the La-5, so the right side view of the instructions of AML is probably wrong.
Regards
Massimo
K.Ingraham

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 01:44:43 AM »

Michel,
If you mean that the decal's clear carrier film has yellowed, then the fix is simple. Expose the decal to direct sunlight for a few days and the yellow will fade out.
If the white ink has yellowed, parts of the decal that are supposed to be white, for that, you need different decals. Hasegawa kit decal white used to always be ivory or light yellow, if there's a fix for the wrong ink, I don't know it.

B_Realistic

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 04:58:11 PM »

I'm not sure it's the clear film but I'll put them in sunlight.
Thanks
K.Ingraham

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 06:20:25 PM »

Some folks tape them to the inside of a window for several days but beware of moisture.
learstang

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 06:29:52 PM »

I did that same trick as Kevin suggests and it worked quite well.  In fact, I tried it with some La-5 decals!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Troy Smith

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 01:32:13 AM »

To keep moisture out just use a zip-loc bag.  

The technique does work, if you have bright sunlight!  
Trying it in the UK in the winter will take an age for example.  I believe it's the action of ultra-violet light.

I have also done this with some Zvezda La5FN decals!!  

but on a forum I read it the result of a chemical breakdown, and while it can be reversed they will re-yellow in time.

IIRC it was Jennings Helig, and he's involved with making decals.  If I can find the info I'll post it here.

Edit -  that was surprisingly easy ....
The yellowing is caused by oxidation (redox). Sometimes you can bleach it out with UV light (although in the UK, that might be kind of a dicey proposition for most of the year). The problem is, the yellowing will return. The chemical reaction that caused it in the first place will continue to take place. The organic molecules in the decal film will oxidize, just like if you scrub a steel pan shiny, then leave it out, it will rust again. As long as oxygen is present, the yellowing will return. Even "sealing" a decal on a model doesn't prevent the diffusion of oxygen into the decal.

Full thread here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234919374&hl=yellowing+decals

maybe the question is how do they take to re-yellow?   I'd better see if the  decals I did have re-yellowed...now which La-5FN kit was it...and where is it!

HTH
T
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 01:44:35 AM by Troy Smith » Logged
B_Realistic

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 12:43:15 PM »

Thanks guys. Cheesy
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 04:53:16 PM »

I used AML Decal several times. Never problems with (white) colors. Plus, even they are very thin, I never saw background through them. Even if white or yellow was placed over black/green, thee were no problems.
However, very small parts (e.g. victory stars) are made of two separate layers - first one with only white stars and second one with the bit smaller red stars. When placed carefully, result is very nice - red stars with a very regular white outline. And even two layers are thin enough to show details on the plane surface (e.g. lines of rivets bellow decals). However, challenge is just to put one very thin layer over another very thin layer.

Regards,
    66misos

learstang

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 06:20:42 PM »

I've used AML decals on my Il-2's with good results.  To strengthen the rather thin decals, I spray a clear gloss coat over them.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: