Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Eduard I-16 Type 10
Sovietwarplanes
March 19, 2024, 03:09:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Eduard I-16 Type 10  (Read 9084 times)
B_Realistic

« on: June 28, 2012, 09:19:10 AM »

Hi,

this is my I-16 OOTB and with the help of Massimo's website I was able to use the correct colors.

Michel
KL

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 04:54:12 PM »

Hi Michael,
excellent weathering and an attractive model in general.  But, not very realistic  Roll Eyes

- Green/brown scheme didn't exist as an official camouflage
- Brown paint for fabric did not exist before 1943
- If this represents wartime plane (white and thin red borders suggest 1943-1945), the plane can not have wing top stars
- undercarige cables are too loose.
B_Realistic

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 07:25:20 PM »

KL,

it seems that it's brown but there are actualy 2 greens.
Actualy is it a trainer that has been used till 1944.
This is a very weahtered aircraft.
I found it on Mig-3 Sovietwarplanes or somewhere I can't remember.
I had a picture of it but can't remember where I found it.  Huh
If you claim that it's impossible to have top stars then is the info from Erik Pilawskii wrong?

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Modeling/Polikarpov/I-16/Lutz/index.php

Indeed afterwards I saw on pictures that the cables are too loose.
Thanks to be critique.

Michel
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:44:35 PM by B_Realistic » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:45:15 PM »

Hi Michel,
a photo of this plane was published on the Squadron monograph, pag.29. On the caption it's written that it was red 4, even if the tail is not visible. The caption suggests that, having a white-red borded star, the plane was photographed in 1944. There is certainly a disruptive camouflage, very difficult to interpretate. It could even be the 3-shade camo in green, dark grey, light brown used for bombers.
The photo don't show the wings and the tail, so I can't say if there are stars; according to the standards of 1944 there should be stars on the tail but not on the wings uppersurfaces, but, again, this is only an interpretation.
I wonder if there is some uncropped version of the photo to justify that the plane was 'red 4'. If so, it should also show if there was a star on the tail.
Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 08:56:21 PM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
learstang

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 09:21:06 PM »

KL,

it seems that it's brown but there are actualy 2 greens.
Actualy is it a trainer that has been used till 1944.
This is a very weahtered aircraft.
I found it on Mig-3 Sovietwarplanes or somewhere I can't remember.
I had a picture of it but can't remember where I found it.  Huh
If you claim that it's impossible to have top stars then is the info from Erik Pilawskii wrong?

Indeed afterwards I saw on pictures that the cables are too loose.
Thanks to be critique.

Michel

Michel, as you'll soon find out on this website, Mr. Pilawskii is often wrong.  His interpretations regarding camouflage are often questionable.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
KL

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 04:18:48 AM »

It's really hard to understand how and why would someone make up so many things to fill a book of some 200 pages.  But that is true: fictional colours, fictional camo schemes, fictional practices, fictional names.

AII Dark Green never existed - except in Pilavskii's imagination. Green/Dark Green scheme never existed - most of the planes (miss)interpreted as "green/dark green" were actually green/black.

Upper wing markings were removed from combat planes in summer 1941.  Mass produced planes (Yaks, Lagg/La fighters, Pe-2s, Il-2s, Il-4s) did not have them.  Only rare Land-Lease planes, some Pe-8 may have had them.

Cockpit interior should be gray, not blue.

Cheers,
KL

B_Realistic

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 08:49:19 AM »

Guys,

Thanks for the input.
The next time I'll check here first. Grin
That's one of the reasons I've joined this forum.

Michel
learstang

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 06:00:28 PM »

Michel, this is the best site for VVS colours.  You're in the correct place.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
K.Ingraham

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 01:16:17 AM »

Welcome aboard Michel. Very nice modeling even if the sources weren't all that reliable.

I think most of us here have some VVS models from our pre-sovietwarplanes.com era that we'd prefer not to post here  Smiley I know that MiG-3 of mine is some of my best work...but life is too short to go back and repaint it, not with all of the VVS kits still awaiting my attention in the storeroom!
So said MiG remains on display as an example of the quality of my work--not the accuracy!

Again, welcome--all of us regulars are here to learn and debate, you'll discover that KL & Learstang are some of the most knowledgable modlers around concerning VVS modeling. Learstang has this thing for Il-dva... Grin

learstang

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 02:17:46 AM »

Actually that's "eel-dvah", Kevin!

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
K.Ingraham

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 02:19:59 AM »

Grin  Keeping me on my toes, that Learstang character does.
B_Realistic

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 05:02:31 PM »

I don't mind putting my models on display.
It's then that you know what's wrong with it.
But as you said it this is the forum so for my other models I will first ask questions and then build them.
And yes because I'm repainting my Il-2 in winter wash I've asked Jason for advice. Cheesy
I'm a fast learner.  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: