Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
IL-2KR color questions
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 03:46:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IL-2KR color questions  (Read 5049 times)
ReccePhreak

« on: July 03, 2012, 06:38:32 PM »

I think I finally want to get started on converting my Accurate Miniatures 1/48 IL-2m3 kit into an IL-2KR photo-recce version. Even with the help of this forum, Massimo Tessitori's excellent VVS research page(s), and all the different books & magazines I have, I STILL have some questions.

I see where Learstang (Jason) recommends using ModelMaster Neutral Gray for the interior, which conflicts with the Accurate Miniatures' instructions of using FS34226 or RLM02. Is the entire interior painted the same color, including the seat/floor/sidewalls/instrument panels/fuel tank? The AM instructions also show the wheel wells as the same color as the cockpit, is that correct?

Now the biggie: I would LOVE to paint my IL-2KR in one of the 3-color "Template 1" schemes shown on Massimo's site, since the green + tan + gray scheme looks so cool to me. But was this scheme ever used on an IL-2KR, or am I stuck with the 2 green scheme? If I can use the 3 color scheme, are there any photos available, showing what side numbers to use?

My next question doesn't concern color. Are there any photos or drawings detailing the extra radio gear installed in the rear cockpit, with the smaller fuel tank? I would like to correctly scratch-build those items.

Finally, I know the IL-2KR mainly used a vertical camera, situated in the right rear fuselage. I seem to remember seeing some drawings awhile ago, that showed additional camera(s) & window(s) installed in either the front or rear of the wheel well bulges. Is that for real, or just someone's "pipe dream"?

Thanks for all your help,

Larry
FPSOlkor

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 07:32:39 PM »

According to Yakov Boreiko (passed away by now) KR had almost no visual differences from the original Il-2, since it essentially was a modification of pre-produced Il-2 by the same airplant that built it, rather then a specially built machine. In terms of photocameras - there were a lot of different versions of layout and at least 2 cameras were always present - "planar" and "perspective", but exact locations could differ.

P/S/ Some planes were converted to KR even in PARMs, so it is really a pain in the... to try and find a "genuine factory - built" one.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 07:42:50 PM by FPSOlkor » Logged
learstang

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 08:13:55 PM »

Larry, RLM02 is definitely off.  It's too greenish.  A-14 steel grey was a very neutral grey colour, with no green or blue or any other tints.  The interior should be in A-14, with light grey for the instrument panel (I think Testors MM Light Gray might be a good choice) and black for the fuel tank, with natural metal straps, the fuel tank having a yellow cap on top.  Although the wheel wells could be painted different colours than the cockpit, such as ALG-5, a greyish-green primer, or ALG-1, an orangeish or yellowish primer, or even left in natural metal, I normally paint it in "A-14" (Testors MM Neutral Gray) because it's easier than trying to tell from photographs what the wheel wells were painted in.  I'll find some photographs of some KR's and post them.  I believe most of the KR's were of the arrow variety and would have been painted in the three-colour scheme you mention, although some straight-winged versions were indeed painted in the black/green scheme.  As far as I've seen, no arrows were ever painted in the black/green scheme.

Regards,

Jason
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:21:44 PM by learstang » Logged

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 10:15:29 PM »

Hi Larry, Konstantin and Jason,

here is a drawing that i've made for the book of Jason, I hope he won't be displeased if I show it.

It represents the plane depicted in this photo

This is a late type with arrow wing; it is unclear if wooden or metallic. The camouflage is sharp and has a characteristic puzzle-like look on the wing; it should be characteristic of some factory in particular, but it's unclear if Z.18 as written on the comments of a known image showing a plane with similar camo, or Z.1 . If it was really z.18, the wings were likely metallic. But I think that straight-winged Il-2KR were built in Z.1 with wooden wings, it could be the same for later types too. Both factories were in Kuybishev.
There is a repainting, perhaps with a lighter shade of brown, on the rear fuselage.
Il-2KR were characterized by a circular window under the fuselage and a different position of the radio mast. Here is a view of a straight-wing KR from below.

By the way, Jason, have I already sent this drawing to you? I've found only the .psd version in my directory, not the .jpg as those I was used to send to you.
Now I see that the hood of the tail wheel is of long type, as the plane in the Prague museum that has wooden wings. Maybe, could this detail  be indicative to distinguish the factory?

Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 10:20:40 PM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
learstang

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 01:39:46 AM »

In terms of using the drawings, that's perfectly fine by me, Massimo (good advert for the book!).  I'll check to see if I have the drawing of the underside of the straight-winger - just checked, I don't.  As far as the fairing goes, I don't really know.  Some arrows had long fairings, some had small ones (I was just looking at a photograph of the tailwheel section from a recovered wreck at the Pima Air and Space Museum in Arizona, and it has quite a small fairing, apparently in steel).  Without seeing the construction number (which had the factory number for the first two numbers), it's hard to tell which factory an individual Shturmovik came from.  That is an interesting question, though.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
ReccePhreak

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 02:35:57 AM »

Jason,

Thanks for the detailed info on the colors.

I don't know why I didn't get notified of these replies, maybe I don't have my profile set up right?

Massimo,

Thank you VERY MUCH for those AWESOME profiles!!! They are PERFECT for my build!!

Cheers,
Larry
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 09:16:29 AM »

Hi Oleg,
I'm displeased for the death of Boreiko.
It would be interesting to recognize such field adaptations to reconaissance role on some photo.
Hi Jason, I don't remember if I have already written this, but the most of photos show that the contrast of colors on the rear fuselage is much higher
 than on the metallic part. I think they were painted separately with different paints (AMT and A-xx-m) and AMT were more contrasting. My drawings often don't show this. Do you think that I should modify them?
Hi Larry, I'm glad to have been useful.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: