Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
il-2 undersurface
Sovietwarplanes
April 27, 2024, 09:10:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: il-2 undersurface  (Read 6115 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: July 10, 2012, 04:43:32 PM »

Hi,
on request of Michel, here is a photo of the undersurface on an Il-2 as a reference for the weathering.

Regards
Massimo
B_Realistic

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 04:59:27 PM »

Thanks Massimo. Cheesy
Man there sure are very weahtered. Shocked
B_Realistic

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 07:57:25 PM »

Massimo,

If you take a look at the root of the tail wings I notice 2 shades in a triangular way.
I was thinking if it's a shadow or also some weathering?
If weahtered what caused this?
Any ideas?

Michel
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 11:05:57 PM »

Hi Michel,
the blurried dark parts? They are darkened by exhaust fumes.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 05:46:41 AM »

Something interesting to note about this photograph is the square cannon link ejection chute openings in front (below in this photograph) of the long shell-casing ejection chute openings.  Notice how both of these are closer to the port wing than the shell-casing openings (which are in the middle of the removable panel under the cannons).  Nearly every kit manufacturer gets this wrong - the only one who has gotten this detail correct is Accurate Miniatures (and their smaller cousin, the 1/72nd scale Academy kit).  Even the new Tamiya kit has these incorrect.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 08:23:14 AM »

Hi Jason, it is an exceptional photo indeed.
Regards
Massimo
B_Realistic

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 08:44:04 AM »

@Massimo,
I think it's strange that these would be traces of exhaust fumes considering that exhaust fumes are directed over the wing and that these are almost not noticable on the wings itself but that you can see the traces under the tail wings. I've seen pictures of aircraft where there are fume traces on the forward and the tail wings but not only on the tail wings.

@Jason,
Also noticable are the traces from the ejection holes that extend all the way to the aft of the wings.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 09:54:55 AM »

Hi Michel,
the tail surfaces are higher than the wings, so they pass through the exhaust gases. The gases darken both the rear sides of the fuselage (including stars and numbers) and both the upper and lower face of the tail surfaces.

Regards
Massimo
B_Realistic

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 11:33:14 AM »

Massimo,

Thanks for the explanation.
This is crucial in weathering the Il-2.
I've got to take a close look to Borodin's Il-2 because at a first glance I don't notice some exhaust traces on the side of the Il-2.
Could it be that the remark of Konstantin where he states that the shadows on the tail are fumes?
You can see on your pictures you published that the fumes are very clear on the aft wings.

Michel
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:39:34 AM by B_Realistic » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 01:03:22 PM »

Hi Michel,
from photos of some white Il-2s, it seems that the smoke don't invest the wingroots. The rear fuselage and tail change from plane to plane: sometimes they look clean enough, sometimes not.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: