Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Brand new Tamiya Il-2 1:48
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 07:05:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Brand new Tamiya Il-2 1:48  (Read 19511 times)
KL

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 10:59:24 PM »

Correct names for two parts/devices are:
Recharge pneumo-cylinder in UBS and UBK
Recharge lever in UBT

Normally, the gun was ready to fire automatically.  For various reasons it was sometimes necessary to cock/reload/unjam the gun.  This was done using two devices, depending on machine gun model.

Explanation from http://www.airpages.ru/ru/ub127.shtml

For those who want to learn how to disassemble and assemble UBT, instruction is available at http://depositfiles.com/files/fywgqjc15
Some usefull drawings in this 1941 book, for example back handle and trigger at pg 32.

For those who want to buy a real UB it is available for 160 000 rub at http://milart.ru/catalog_ros_imp/186/614/
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:08:08 PM by KL » Logged
learstang

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 11:14:31 PM »

Thank you for the further information, Konstantin!  And yes, I do want the Berezin, but only if it's a real UBT from an Il-2 (what I really want is a full VYa-23!).

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Markino

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 12:22:58 PM »

Hi Richard,
I have the Accurate Miniature IL2-M3 in 1/48, what do you think about the comparation between the two kit? What do you think is the better? I would be interested in opinions from other forum members...

Ciao.

Marco

"If you want to get what you want
 you need to get rid of the need."
Tyronesdaddy

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 05:20:40 PM »

Here is Brett Green's comparison of the two kits on Hyperscale:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/features/il2amtamiyacomparison48bg_1.htm
learstang

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 06:19:24 PM »

I have the two kits, and I can say that the Tamiya kit is better, with beautifully-done surface detail, and is the best Shturmovik kit available in any form.  However, both kits suffer some inaccuracies/omissions - the elevator trim tabs should not be extended beyond the elevator trailing edge (the Prague-Kbely Il-2 has this feature, but it may have been limited to late/postwar Shturmoviks), the lever attached to the round object on the starboard side of the pilot's seat should be mounted on the aft wing spar, not forward as it is, both kits are missing the emergency manual gear retraction mechanism (most kits miss this), and the square ejection chute on the undersides of the wing should be pointing to the port wingtip, on both sides, and are not mirror images of each other (the AM kit gets this correct, almost alone among Il-2 kits; Tamiya gets it wrong).  Perhaps the weakest point on the AM kit is the spinner; it's much too rounded and should replaced with the Vector spinner and propeller set.  The Tamiya version is much better in this respect.  I'll post a more in-depth analysis of the rights and wrongs of the Tamiya kit in another thread, complete with photographs, but I'm still putting that together.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 09:13:55 PM »

the elevator trim tabs should not be extended beyond the elevator trailing edge (the Prague-Kbely Il-2 has this feature, but it may have been limited to late/postwar Shturmoviks),

Possibly a specific feature of the Czech-built Avia B-31? I haven't searched very hard - Wikipedia says: "Original Il-2m3 at Military aircraft museum in Prague,Czech republic", but Wikipedia is not always authoritative.

John
learstang

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 10:36:22 PM »

the elevator trim tabs should not be extended beyond the elevator trailing edge (the Prague-Kbely Il-2 has this feature, but it may have been limited to late/postwar Shturmoviks),

Possibly a specific feature of the Czech-built Avia B-31? I haven't searched very hard - Wikipedia says: "Original Il-2m3 at Military aircraft museum in Prague,Czech republic", but Wikipedia is not always authoritative.

John

John, this feature may be specific to Czech Shturmoviks; the Czechs, however, never built the Shturmovik (unlike the B-33 version of the Il-10, which they did build).  Only the Soviet Union ever built the Shturmovik.  The B-31 designation was a postwar designation for the Czech Il-2's which were all Soviet-supplied examples.  The Prague-Kbely example is a restored example, but looking at the earlier version (which is present in the picture book on this particular aeroplane and the Il-10 at the Prague-Kbely museum) it had the extended tabs even before its most recent, extensive restoration.  Looking at the Yugoslavian example in the Belgrade museum, I don't see these extended tabs, yet this definitely appears to be a late, possibly unrestored, but well-preserved arrow, with the streamlined rocket railings, cannon fairings, and metal wings.  It is interesting to note that the 1942 Flight Manual and the currently flying Flying Heritage example, both show flush elevator tabs.  I can't rule out their usage during WWII, as it is usually difficult to impossible to tell, but I don't think it was the usual configuration.  If anyone has photographs that can show the usage of these extended elevator trim tabs, especially during the GPW, I would love to see them.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 01:14:45 AM »

John, this feature may be specific to Czech Shturmoviks; the Czechs, however, never built the Shturmovik (unlike the B-33 version of the Il-10, which they did build).  Only the Soviet Union ever built the Shturmovik.  The B-31 designation was a postwar designation for the Czech Il-2's which were all Soviet-supplied examples.

Oops - my mistake!  Thanks for your reply, Jason! Grin

John
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:20:36 AM by John Thompson » Logged
Markino

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 08:29:55 AM »

Hi Guys, many thanks for your explanations!  Smiley It is very hard to resist buying the Tamiya's Shturmovik !!!!!! When I saw it I...am in love whit it!!!
Ciao.

Marco

learstang

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 12:29:40 AM »

Hi Guys, many thanks for your explanations!  Smiley It is very hard to resist buying the Tamiya's Shturmovik !!!!!! When I saw it I...am in love whit it!!!
Ciao.

Marco

Give in to the temptation, Marco!

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
learstang

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2012, 12:31:31 AM »

John, this feature may be specific to Czech Shturmoviks; the Czechs, however, never built the Shturmovik (unlike the B-33 version of the Il-10, which they did build).  Only the Soviet Union ever built the Shturmovik.  The B-31 designation was a postwar designation for the Czech Il-2's which were all Soviet-supplied examples.

Oops - my mistake!  Thanks for your reply, Jason! Grin

John

No problem, John!  I'm just about ready to do my post talking about the Tamiya kit in more detail.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Markino

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 09:15:43 AM »

Give in to the temptation, Marco!

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,
yes, I know, at the end will yield to the temptation...maybe for Christmas... Wink
Ciao!

Marco

B_Realistic

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2012, 08:57:37 PM »

Did any already seen the Brassin UBT gun from Eduard for the Tamiya kit? Tongue

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ED648079
learstang

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 01:12:31 AM »

Did any already seen the Brassin UBT gun from Eduard for the Tamiya kit? Tongue

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ED648079

I've seen where Eduard have come out with some aftermarket sets for this kit, but I hadn't seen this.  Very nice!  Thank you for the link, Michel!  I just wish they'd come out with some Brassin sets for the Hobby Boss kits (as opposed to just the etched sets).

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Seawinder

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2012, 04:08:10 AM »

[No problem, John!  I'm just about ready to do my post talking about the Tamiya kit in more detail.
Regards,
Jason

Hi Jason.
I'm looking forward to your analysis, and I'd still really like to know what you think about the Tamiya windscreen. There was some rather contentious debate on another forum, started by that Gaston fellow, but it apparently died out without any particular resolution.

Best,
Pip
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: