Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
I-16 Type 24, White 11 "For Salin"
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 11:18:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: I-16 Type 24, White 11 "For Salin"  (Read 15498 times)
bbrought

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 09:18:53 AM »

Thanks for the nice comment. In answer to your question, I thought at first that the Mr. Color and Model Master were going to clash -- the resulting mix was a little "slushy." However, once I added some lacquer thinner, the consistency evened out nicely, and the mixture remained stable for the duration of the build (and is still apparently okay several weeks later).

Thank you, Pip. I suppose if you can thin enamels with lacquer thinner, it should be possible to mix them with lacquer paint. I just once again want to tell you how good this model looks. Very inspirational!

Kind regards,
Bennie

BA Broughton
Pascal

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 03:09:29 PM »

Hi Pip,

I like your I-16, very much! It looks good, and the colours are fine.

Pascal
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 01:08:57 PM by Pascal » Logged

66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 09:30:28 AM »

Hi Pip,

your I-16 looks very nice.
Although I more like "used" or worn look, your I-16 perfectly represents what I see on the photos - plane cleaned and polished before photo session.
You matched colors also very well, at least when I compare what I see on the PC monitor with what I have painted with Akan AII Green & AII Blue.
Happy modeling.

66misos

KL

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 11:09:24 PM »

... your I-16 perfectly represents what I see on the photos - plane cleaned and polished before photo session.

I don't think anybody would waste time and effort to clean and polish plane specially for photo session. For what I know there is no hard evidence that such "preparation" has ever happened.  Yes, these photos were taken by a war correspodent, for "propaganda" purposes, but why streching this into something unlikely? Photographer was experienced enough to get his message out using other means.  Plane was basically, a background decoration...  if there were some exhaust or oil stains, would that change Safonov's determined look or his victory score??? 

There are many photos of I-16 captured intact by Germans and those don't look much different in terms of stains/weare and tear.   Anyway, planes cleaned and polished for photo sessions are Pilawskii's "tra-la-la"   Tongue

Cheers,
KL
66misos

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 10:29:19 AM »

Hi KL,

this is screen shot (time 4:12 to 4:16 from 10:40) from doc movie "Крылья России - Истребители - Грозовые годы 4/5 серия 2" I found on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0A1U0RwZbo

May be this is not hard evidence but it shows cleaning aircraft:

Purpose of cleaning was not only to show things looking better. Cleaned, polished surface helped to increase plane max speed of some 10 to 20 km/h. This practice is described in a lot of memoirs books and articles (and shown in this picture)  Wink

Regards,
     66misos

Seawinder

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 05:34:12 PM »

Hi Pip,

your I-16 looks very nice.
Although I more like "used" or worn look, your I-16 perfectly represents what I see on the photos - plane cleaned and polished before photo session.
You matched colors also very well, at least when I compare what I see on the PC monitor with what I have painted with Akan AII Green & AII Blue.
Happy modeling.

66misos

Hi 66misos.
Thanks for the comment. I'm especially glad that the colors seem to be at least close, especially the AII Blue, of which there is conflicting documentation. I do tend to keep weathering subtle. I did some post-shading and exhaust staining which doesn't show very much in the photos, but the photo of the plane taking off clearly shows a good degree of gloss, so I reasoned that the finish probably was pretty clean.

Pip
KL

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 05:53:27 PM »

May be this is not hard evidence but it shows cleaning aircraft:

Cleaning as part of the maintenance and polishing to improve aerodynamics - yes, that was done in reality (in every air force, not in VVS only).

Cleaning and polishing for a photographic session/propaganda ? not in real life, only in Pilawskii?s fairytales.

Cheers,
KL
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 08:03:54 PM »

Hi,
it's known that they painted slogans and other markings for photo sessions, so why shouldn't them have cleaned planes for the same reason?
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 08:48:48 PM »

it's known that they painted slogans and other markings for photo sessions...

Known fact or "educated guess"Huh  I think it's a gueswork, and a very naive, uninformed guess.
you may contest authenticity of any individual marking or a slogan this way...  Are all slogans temporary propaganda??? how do you know which one was real and which one was made specially for photo session?

I think that all slogans were real, they were an attempt to boost moral.  It's a fact that thousands of planes were bought by individuals and organizations and in many cases this was documented as slogans.
Some slogans were photographed, many were not.  how do you explain so many photos in which slogans are only partially visible or hardly legible?

Regards,
KL

PS:  Il-2s with slogan "Na Berlin" painted for a movie shortly after the war are very different case.  That can't be called "war propaganda" because the war was over...
66misos

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 08:56:55 PM »

Hi,
it seems that sequence from approximately 4:05 to 4:50 from that doc movie is from one event. Big airport, soviet planes (Yaks) and US planes (B-17), soviet officers show Yak cockpit to US officer, relaxed atmosphere all around, some young soldier cleaning and polishing aircraft...
At least for me it does not look like repair & maintenance day. It looks more like effort to make things (e.g. Planes) looking better in front of visitors/photographers  Wink

Regards,
     66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 11:54:27 PM »

Hi,
I don't want to say that this slogan was painted for the photo session, I simply don't know this. I mean that it looks possible that planes were cleaned before a photographic session. I don't know if EP said this, but if he did, this doesn't necessarily mean it is wrong.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: