Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
I-16 Type 24, White 11 "For Salin"
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 03:31:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I-16 Type 24, White 11 "For Salin"  (Read 15493 times)
Seawinder

« on: August 11, 2012, 07:46:40 PM »

The instructions in the Eduard Weekend Edition kit, which I'm building, call for the gun camera (?) on top of the fuselage aft of the cockpit. Of the many online profiles of this plane, some show it present, but more show it not present. The only photo I've seen, with Safonov posing in front, only goes back as far as the gunsight. Any confirmation available either way?

TIA.
Pip Moss
KL

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 07:54:53 PM »

I-16 Type 24, White 11 "For Stalin" had a camera

more at http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1079.15
Seawinder

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 08:47:52 PM »

Many thanks, Konstantin! The first photo is also really helpful for the color demarcation line.

Pip
Seawinder

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 09:26:14 PM »

Another question, if I may: The Eduard instructions call for flat black propeller blades, but a lot of I-16 photos show aluminum blades, at least on the front surfaces. Available photos of White 11 don't show the prop. What would be most likely?

TIA
Pip
learstang

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 10:37:10 PM »

That first photograph shows the pre-war scheme, with the overall green topsides and the stars with the thin black outline.  Pre-war the propellers were normally all-metal, with the back 2/3rds (3/4ths?) painted black for anti-glare purposes.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Seawinder

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 12:04:57 AM »

Thanks for the reply, Jason. The Eduard instructions give 1941 for the year. Even with the early paint scheme (I did it as AII Green/Blue), would the propeller perhaps have been repainted black by then?

Pip
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 12:07:52 AM by Seawinder » Logged
learstang

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 01:16:33 AM »

It's certainly possible.  It's not like the new paint scheme and repainting the propellers had to be done at the same time.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Seawinder

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 05:16:28 AM »

It's certainly possible.  It's not like the new paint scheme and repainting the propellers had to be done at the same time.
Regards,
Jason

I guess, in the absence of absolute certainty either way, I'll go with aluminum blades -- it'll add visual interest. Just for interest sake, was there a particular time frame when props began to be painted black? Did it coincide, for example, with the change-over to AMT paints?

Pip
learstang

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 05:43:45 AM »

Regards,
Jason

I guess, in the absence of absolute certainty either way, I'll go with aluminum blades -- it'll add visual interest. Just for interest sake, was there a particular time frame when props began to be painted black? Did it coincide, for example, with the change-over to AMT paints?

Pip

Good question, Pip.  I've been going over my Il-2 photographs, and generally, it looks like if it has the black/green scheme, it has the black blades, and if it has the pre-war scheme, it has the (mostly) natural metal blades.  There are exceptions, of course, but this seems to be the general rule.  It make sense - nothing like the glint off of natural metal blades to give away your position to the Germans, both on the ground and in the air.  Since you're splashing the black on in the field, why not cover the blades at the same time (I suspect this was done at the factories from the time they started applying the black/green scheme).

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Seawinder

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 08:40:18 PM »

Well, here's the finished model. It's the Eduard Weekend Edition, built OOB with the the kit markings. I did cut off the sides of the cockpit floor, but you really can't see it! I used Mr. Color no. 136, Russian Green 2, for the upper AII Green, and I mixed Model Master Russian Topside Blue and Mr. Color no. 323 Light Blue for the AII Blue unders. Photos clearly show a somewhat glossy finish, so I used Micro Flat straight up for a weathered sheen. I'm grateful for the information I obtained here at sovietwarplanes.com.

Pip Moss

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:12:18 AM by Seawinder » Logged
bbrought

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 09:50:55 PM »

Hi Pip

Absolutely beautiful. It really makes me want to build mine (I have the same weekend edition kit in the stash).

A quick question:

I mixed Model Master Russian Topside Blue and Mr. Color no. 323 Light Blue for the AII Blue unders.

If I remember correctly, Mr Color is a lacquer based paint and Model Master is enamel. I didn't know these two brands would be compatible, but based on your results it looked like it worked fine. Any comment?

BA Broughton
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 10:15:43 PM »

Good model. Thank you for sharing the photos. The shades look very likely.
Regards
Massimo
Seawinder

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 10:41:45 PM »

Hi Pip

Absolutely beautiful. It really makes me want to build mine (I have the same weekend edition kit in the stash).

A quick question:

I mixed Model Master Russian Topside Blue and Mr. Color no. 323 Light Blue for the AII Blue unders.

If I remember correctly, Mr Color is a lacquer based paint and Model Master is enamel. I didn't know these two brands would be compatible, but based on your results it looked like it worked fine. Any comment?

Hi bbrought.
Thanks for the nice comment. In answer to your question, I thought at first that the Mr. Color and Model Master were going to clash -- the resulting mix was a little "slushy." However, once I added some lacquer thinner, the consistency evened out nicely, and the mixture remained stable for the duration of the build (and is still apparently okay several weeks later).

Pip
learstang

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 12:53:07 AM »

Lovely little Ishak, Pip!  Excellent job!

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Seawinder

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 04:50:19 AM »

Lovely little Ishak, Pip!  Excellent job!

Regards,

Jason

Thanks, Jason!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: