Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Were they ever brown/green ?
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 07:57:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Were they ever brown/green ?  (Read 4782 times)
pelo008

« on: November 14, 2006, 07:51:59 PM »

Hi !
Getting into the hobby again after some twenty years I notised a wery strange thing:
Where is the brown/green camo of the past ?
I remember the Yak by Airfix we all painted brown/green with yellow (?) outlined stars.
When buying new books on the VVS aircraft subject all aircraft are green, green/black or grey/dark grey.
Were there ever brown camo ? In the Caucasus/southern area but not in the north or....Is it just the IL-2 that had brown/green camo or......?
It has gone so d-mn strange so that in "Soviet Aces" by Osprey, Galchenkos Lagg is brown/green BUT in the later "LaGG Aces" by the same publisher the same (?) aircraft is green/black.
Anyone has the answer ?
/ Par
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 09:26:15 PM »

Hi, Smiley
according to present knowledge, the fighters were not camouflaged with brown/green scheme. Some bombers were  painted in such a way.
Massimo
FPSOlkor

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 09:26:16 PM »

According to Kulakov from 103 GvIAP, (5 kills with kittyhawk) their hawks were painted in brown-green, but as far, as i could understand this scheme was not official for USSR-produced aircraft.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 11:05:19 PM »

Hi, Smiley
yes, I forgot, most lend-lease planes had their original US or British camo.
Massimo
Dark Green Man

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 12:26:24 AM »

According to Kulakov from 103 GvIAP, (5 kills with kittyhawk) their hawks were painted in brown-green, but as far, as i could understand this scheme was not official for USSR-produced aircraft.

these aircraft were built and painted in the USA with 'equivalent colors' for the original British order of RAF Dark Green and RAF Dark Earth.
these paints were made by Du Pont.
in most cases the Soviets only over painted the British Roundels or US National marking.
(later on bars were added to US 'Roundels')

[/color]

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: