Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
IL-2 Early 1/48 AM
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 09:39:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: IL-2 Early 1/48 AM  (Read 21030 times)
Ohotnyik

« on: August 23, 2012, 02:28:34 PM »

I started to build this IL 2 a couple of years ago.
I had really slow progress with the building, there was always something more important.
I hesitated for a long time over which plane should I build, in the end I choose the plane named  Za Otrandova.

I nicely re scratched the fuselage. Done the rivets too, I was at the wings when I realized that this plane had wooden fuselage.

There remained two opportunities, either I re do the putty on the fuselage or I search for a type that I can build from the current state.
In the end I choose the latter.
I searched for a really early version which I can build with great accuracy.
During the rebuilding, I realized that the centroplane part of the wing of the Accurete is made with the repair pits of the early version, but the outer parts are prepaired for the 23mm cannon.

Until now I couldn?t find any version which would be good for the Accuarte?s kit.
Furthermore ,the wings of double seated version of Eduard?s  isn?t good too, so there will be
some post- work .

As of now this two planes ramanied on the list
Wathcing these pictures, I can?t decide the color of the propeller?s feather, t ome it seems black.

The state of the planes now:

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 04:58:44 PM »

Hi,
interesting work. So you need painting options for a plane with metal rear fuselage. Some of them were painted (or repainted ) with black-green camo too with non-standardized pattern.
Usually, propellers of early all-green planes were left unpainted except for the black on the rear face (about the 3/4 external rear part). They were often repainted black after the war outbreak.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 05:50:59 PM »

Nice work so far, Istvan!  I shall be watching this build with great interest.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
B_Realistic

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 07:33:11 PM »

Considering that I also had to fill the panellines of the aft fuselage it takes alot of sanding.
Thank God Micromesh was invented. Cheesy
I'll follow your build.
Ohotnyik

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 02:33:48 PM »

I managed to  alter a few things.

The canopy has been polished.

I also altered, the reflectors

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 05:38:38 PM »

Looking good; I like the way you've done the landing light, and the cockpit is excellent. Thanks for posting those German photos, too!

John
B_Realistic

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 08:51:21 PM »

Looking good.
Didn't had the fuel tank a yellow cap?  Huh
learstang

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 01:16:07 AM »

Looking good.
Didn't had the fuel tank a yellow cap?  Huh

Yes, Michel, it usually did.  I don't know how hard it would be for Istvan to redo this.  Probably too hard.  It's also possible not all had a yellow cap.  And it is looking nice Istvan - it'll be great to see a model of a very early Il-2.  I have in mind to do the Academy kit in 1/72nd scale as a very early metal-fuselaged example.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 07:40:14 AM »

Hi,
I think that the rear glass was divided into three panels with rivets between them.

Viktor has informed me that the look of the glass in this photo was typical of early Il-2s, apart for the rearward-firing guns and the mirror atop. So it would be good to make the overposition part and the rivets, maybe with pieces of clear decal film.
Regards
Massimo
Ohotnyik

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 08:02:50 AM »

Yes it might be yellow, but I will say the original was? stolen? or replaced and? replaced?, by another.
It won?t go back to fix it, because I fear for the soundness of the canopy

Massimo
Thank you for the close pics, it won?t be hard to make it this way.

Ohotnyik

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 09:11:39 AM »

As I looking at these up close pics, I have a couple of questions
I can?t see the armor plating, or head protector, is it absent only in this experimental plane or, was it absent in the standard production planes as well?
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 10:18:18 AM »

Hi,
I'm not sure, Viktor wrote that the armour under the tank wasn't there on early planes, but I don't know if this is true for the headrest too.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 05:37:26 PM »

On the very early single-seaters, the armour behind the pilot was armoured glass (like on an La-5FN), so it's probably there on this photograph, just difficult to see.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Ohotnyik

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 08:18:18 PM »

Just one more tiny question.
At the joining of the spinner and the fuselage there is a standard shield against rain.
Do you think it was there at the really early planes as well?

This picture seems to me; as this shield was applied at later, as the fuselage was build.

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 10:37:24 PM »

Hi Istvan,
it seems absent on other photos too. It's fair to assume that it was introduced about in June 1941.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: