Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Il-2 winter 6
Sovietwarplanes
April 30, 2024, 07:19:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Il-2 winter 6  (Read 6290 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: September 10, 2012, 10:07:26 AM »

Here are two low-resolution images of the same Il-2 belly landed on the snow.

For what one can understand on the images, the white winter finish cover all the horizontal surfaces, while the fuselage has a disruptive scheme. On the rear fuselage and tail, the white paint seems to follow the lines of the black bands of the typical camo of Zavod 30 (plus some green). The sides of the fuselage are confused because of wearing and fumes, while the nose looks to have a strange division line between and black, and a clean white band behind the spinner.

The wings are wooden, coherently with the hypothized origin of Z.30. The fuselage star is in low position, a thing already seen on the planes of this factory, while the red star on the tail is slightly shifted forward, not centered on the rudder hinges line as usual.

Having z.30 started the production of Il-2s in the spring 1942, the photo can be dated in the winter 1942/43.

The plane is drawn with the dust filter on the intake, as sometimes seen on late singleseaters, but its installation is not sure.

Thanks to Istvan Vadasz for the photos
learstang

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 05:58:27 PM »

Very nice, Massimo!  The only thing I might change is it doesn't appear from the photographs that the MK-7 goes right up to the stars.  Especially on the tail star, it looks like some of the "summer" camouflage can still be seen around the star.

Regards,

Jason
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:00:21 PM by learstang » Logged

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 09:07:30 PM »

Hi Jason,
I don't know, the photos are too poor to be sure. Eventually I can make the border a bit more irregular, but I think that they didn't leave an unpainted zone.
Regards
Massimo
viktor

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 10:17:42 AM »

Hi Massimo.

Maybe a few more questions/remarks...don't you think yellow tactical number is more probable?...to me the light blue camo on the nose looks a bit unusual. instead of light blue below the air intakes I am wondering about faded MK-7. You can see it also below the cockpit for example.

Kind regards
Viktor
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 04:48:28 PM »

Hi Viktor,
a yellow tactical number is possible, but for what I know yellow was scarcely utilized in 1942/1944 because it was utilized by Germans.
About the nose: I know that faded white would be more usual than light blue, but the look of the photo (including the rounded corner of the black band on the nose) suggests that it was painted ober a lighter color. Do you know if other photos of this plane are available?
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 06:04:04 PM »

Hi Massimo.

Maybe a few more questions/remarks...don't you think yellow tactical number is more probable?...to me the light blue camo on the nose looks a bit unusual. instead of light blue below the air intakes I am wondering about faded MK-7. You can see it also below the cockpit for example.

Kind regards
Viktor

Viktor (Povinsky?), I thought about that also regarding the nose, but look at how relatively sharp the line is between the white and the colour below.  I also agree with Massimo regarding the bort; I'm always somewhat sceptical about yellow being used on VVS aeroplanes, especially early in the war.  That bort looks too faint to be yellow, it's not bright enough to be white, and it's not shiny enough to be silver.  Just by the process of elimination, it seems that it is blue.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 10:55:51 PM »

Hi, Aleksandr Ruchkovsky  has sent a photo from the right side that has allowed to correct the drawing.
Are those soldiers Finns?

Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 12:41:15 AM »

Massimo, given that with this photograph you can clearly see that this Shturmovik has the external filter fitted, I think a date of winter 42/43 is likely, as you thought.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: