Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Il-2s remarked by Germans.
Sovietwarplanes
April 29, 2024, 07:17:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Il-2s remarked by Germans.  (Read 3719 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: September 16, 2012, 11:23:39 AM »

Red/white 4 is the best photographically documented Il-2 remarked by Germans.

The first photos represent it still in Soviet marks, and are an excellent document of one of the variants of the black-green camo utilized by Zavod 18. The red star with thin white border on the tail is typical of Zavod 18 too, while the black outline of the star on the fuselage (instead of white) is unusual.

The wing is metallic, as typical of this factory, has balance horns at its tip and the fairings of the VYa-23 guns (whose barrels are not visible because the weapons were removed).

The first image suggests that it could have a curved-type aiming device on the left side of the nose, but this don't appear in other photos.

The first photo show the same plane with Soviet marks deleted (unclear if with Soviet or German colors) but not yet remarked.

The following images show the plane in full German marks, with yellow band on the fuselage (and presumably under the wingtips). The strange inclination of the swastika on the tail and of the crosses on the fuselage is noteworthy.

The latest image shows the plane with the guns reinstalled on the wings by Germans.

learstang

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 06:42:23 PM »

Nice profile, Massimo!  However, I think it had the boot around the tailwheel strut.  Interesting that the Germans reinstalled the guns - I wonder if they tested out the armament, either on the ground or in the air.  I also wonder if any of the captured Shturmoviks were ever sent to Rechlin, Germany for testing.  I don't believe I've ever read anything about that.

Best Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: