Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
color 'red 9'
Sovietwarplanes
April 19, 2024, 11:13:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: color 'red 9'  (Read 3282 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: September 19, 2012, 03:44:27 PM »

A rare color photo represents a downed Il-2 with unusual painting.

The plane is produed in Zavod 18 presumably in late 1941 or early 1942, with metal wings.

The base camouflage is very worn and scarcely contrasting, and bears traces of a badly removed winter paint. Even the star on the fuselage appears in such conditions.

A new red star with white outline and new non-standard gloss black bands were painted on the tail and rear fuselage, resulting well contrasting on the photo; perhaps the sides of the stabilizer and rudder were repainted green too.

After having corrected the shade of the photo for what it was possible, the spinner appears of a color comparable to that of the grass on the background and with the greenish zinc chromate on the inner side of the engine panel (different than the yellow zinc chromate of the frames of the elevator); its color could be a bright light green, perhaps the same A-7 utilized for the piping of the coolant.
My main doubt is if the plane in the photo has the early metal wing with 20 mm guns, the later wing with bulges for 23 mm guns with 20 mm barrels (the thing that looks more likely to me) , or the late wing with 23 mm guns as drawn.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 03:47:01 PM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 09:10:32 PM »

Hi,
I've modified the drawing, because that wing is certainly of the early type, with ShVAK mounted inside the mg. I've made the early canopy with reduced armor.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: