Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
new page on Il-2M
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 06:20:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: new page on Il-2M  (Read 43024 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: September 26, 2012, 11:24:22 AM »

Hi,
I'm rewriting the page on Il-2m and I've uploaded a provisional version here.

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/il-2/il2-camo/il-2m/il2m-camo.htm

In the new page, I've connected the peculiarities of the planes with the factories where they were produced.
If it's easy for the early black-green planes, it's much more difficult for later planes with the post-1943 camouflage.
I'm following this idea:
Il-2s built by Z.30 had very large stars and long fairing for the tail wheel, and wooden wings (as Il-37 that were built by this factory);
planes of zavod 1 had medium sized stars, thin fairing, wooden wings, sharp camo made by mask (at least on their wings) (as IL-2KR that were made by this factory);
planes of z.18 had smaller stars, camouflage with more linear and soft lines, metallic wings.
The differences should be followed by Il-2M of 1944 too.

Who can give some contribution to this research?

Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 06:54:41 PM »

Great idea about the factories, Massimo!  Best of luck!  I'll PM you my ideas.

Best Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 08:59:03 PM »

Hi Jason,
the idea is good, but I am not sure of present conclusions.
It would be important to know if the code 12438 of the plane preserved in Prague-Kbely is real and complete. I deducted that it was built in Zavod 1 (the first number of the code) but now I see that other Czech planes were built in Z.18 and coded 18882116 and 18894113. So, now I suspect that large stars and long tail wheel fairing could be characteristic of Z18, not Z.30.
Besides now I see that many Il2-37, supposedly built in z.30, have relatively small stars as I supposed of planes of z.18. To know where the plane of Prague was built would be the key for an eventual correction of the theory.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 07:47:04 AM »

Hi,
I have to change the previous statements on post august 1943 Il-2s.
Planes of Z.30 are those with small stars, blurried camo on the wings, thin tail wheel fairing (as the Il2-37 that were built there).
Planes of Z.1 have medium to large stars, long tail wheel fairing, sharp curved camo on wings (as Il-2KR that were fortemost built there).
Planes of Z.18 have medium to large stars, blurried camo on the wings, short fairing, always metal wings.
So, unfortunately the size of stars isn't enough to distinguish planes of z.1 from those of z.18.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 10:01:30 AM »

Hi,
I've updated the page.
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/il-2/il2-camo/il-2m/il2m-camo.htm
I want to add new color drawings, so probably I'll break it in two, the first part on pre-August planes (black-green), the second one on post-August (three shades).
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 05:24:51 PM »

Hi,
I've splitted the page into early Il-2M, late Il-2M and Il-2M3. They all are accessible from http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/il-2/il-2.htm.
I think that there is still something to do, there are cases of uncertain attributions etc, I'll try to clarify the thing. I'll start to trace and upload color drawings as soon as the text will be stabilized.
Please, let me know any comment.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 01:37:13 PM »

Hi,
I've updated the page again. In the meanwhile, here is n.14:

Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 05:33:20 PM »

Interesting patterns on the port wing - probably from repairs.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 07:56:31 PM »

Hi Jason,
yes, the rear fuselage is repainted too. This plane probably was painted as from manual when new, then had to be repaired. The photo is surely of 1944, because one of the fellows planes has an arrow wing.
Perhaps the number has to be a bit more fat, don't you think?
The drawing is available for the book, if you want it.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 01:24:35 AM »

Massimo, I agree that the number should be larger, and it would make a fine addition to the book.  I think a straight-winged two-seater that might be worth a second look is "White 24", the AVMF Il-2 which also looks like it was extensively repainted (including possibly a replacement rear fuselage).  You might give that one a shot and I can give you my opinions on it.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 09:35:40 AM »

Ok Jason, I'll correct this 14; now I see that it has a narrow star on the tail, probably the rudder was replaced with one with a star centered in slightly different way.
I'll trace a drawing of 24, I've avoided it till now because I know that there are two different interpretations of it.
I am dealing with the camouflage of the planes built in Zavod 18 after August 1943, it is very different from that of other factories, disordered and lowly contrasted.

This image is famous, but let a lot of doubts. Compare the camo of the plane behind, certainly from another factory.... 66-17 is so lowly contrasted that it could even seem uniform. I can suppose that they sprayed a base color, then oversprayed other colors in a very thin layer.

Another example with metal wing, typical of z.18. It's certainly camouflaged, but pattern and colors are unrecognizable.

Regards
Massimo
barneybolac

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 10:16:50 PM »

I gave your new page to a fellow I know who can do skins for an online game I play.
He liked the Polish aircraft here is the link.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,340106.0.html
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 10:28:43 PM »

Hi,
here is an attempt to reproduce the plane numbered 66/17.

Unfortunately the camo is all but clear. To explain the low contrast, I can suppose that the painting practise of Z-18 considered a very thin layer of grey and brown on the green background.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 10:35:18 PM »

I gave your new page to a fellow I know who can do skins for an online game I play.

Thank you for the link, BB!  That's a very nice skin - good colours, and he properly "beat up" the port wingroot with the weathering.  Too bad it's not for Wings of Prey; that's the simulator I mainly play now (and I'm looking forward to the successor game, War Thunder).  Wings of Prey has beautiful, almost photo-realistic graphics, but the colours are incorrect on some of the Soviet aircraft, notably, the Shturmovik.  I may get in touch with this gentleman and see if he would do skins for Wings of Prey.  Of course I wouldn't mind helping him out with his skins for Aces High.

Best Regards,

Jason
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 12:38:28 AM by learstang » Logged

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 10:51:06 PM »

Nice thing, I see that my profiles have already been useful to someone.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: