Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Il-2 under carriage color
Sovietwarplanes
April 25, 2024, 02:17:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Il-2 under carriage color  (Read 5311 times)
Old Dog

« on: September 27, 2012, 01:46:24 AM »

I am current building the Hobby Boss 1/32 Il-2 and am curious as to what color to use on the under carriage and wheel rims. The references I have showing existing aircraft show several colors ranging from what looks to be something similar to RLM02 to very dark green color. Since I'm always hesitant to trust preserved aircraft I'm hoping someone can provide some advice. Thanks in advance !
learstang

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 04:59:50 AM »

There are varying opinions as to what the undercarriage were painted, and I believe this is because they were painted different colours (or sometimes not painted at all, in which case they should be a steel colour).  The ALG-5 primer would have been a grey-green, but the exact shade wasn't standardised.  It's possible the undersides colour, AMT-7 Blue might have been used (I use Testors Model Master Russian Topside Blue for this colour).  The colour I use, as the safest bet, is A-14 Steel Grey, which I represent using MM Neutral Gray.  The wheels themselves should be painted a green colour, for which I use MM Medium Green.  The tyres of course were black (or grimy black, or rubber black).  I hope this helps OD!  I also hope you post some pictures of your build here.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 10:11:05 PM »

Hi Jason,
I don't think that they left steel unpainted, it goes into rust. Maybe it could have been painted aluminium.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 10:44:51 PM »

That makes sense.  I have seen photographs of the undercarriage that seem to show a shiny, metallic finish.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Old Dog

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 01:38:49 AM »

Thanks, that is helpful, I was going to go with a-14 Steel gray if I got no reply. I probably wouldn't have guessed green for the wheels though, thanks for that.

As for posting photos of models, I have been a little confused as to where they should go, in the modeling section or under the correct aircraft in the GPW forum. Don't want to make work for the mods if I don't need to. I have the Il-2 and a Pe-8 that I plan to finish between now and the end of the year and would only be to happy to post them some where on the site.

Gary
learstang

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 01:55:17 AM »

You're welcome, Gary!  Regarding the green wheels, you can still see that on modern Russian aircraft.  It doesn't seem to have changed much in 70 years.  I'm sure Massimo can steer you in the correct direction regarding posting model builds.  I need to post some, just to show I'm not all just talk.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 07:29:30 AM »

Hi Jason and Gary,
I prefer that posts are done according to the type of aircraft. I'm very interested to see those models, the Pe-8 in particular. I have one to build, and I was working on the Pe-8 page that I'll restart after the work on Il-2.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: