Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Pavlov's white 1
Sovietwarplanes
April 25, 2024, 11:54:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pavlov's white 1  (Read 6456 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: October 21, 2012, 08:53:58 PM »

Hi,
I've started to work again on Il-2M3. I received some new scans from AR, and I've made a revision of the previous drawing for the book.

Here are two photos inflight of the Il-2M3 'white 1' flown by the double Hero of the Soviet Union I.F. Pavlov of 6th GvOShAP, 3rd VA, (6th Guards Detached Shturmovik Air Regiment) and operated on the Kalinin front, and later on the Baltic front.

The photos should be of late 1944 or early 1945. Pavlov was made HSU for the second time on February 23, 1945.

Some visual characteristics of the plane:
Il-2M3 probably built in Zavod 1, with the characteristic long tail wheel fairing;
slightly bended aerial mast; on this photo it appears bended backwards, but comparing with other photos it looks that it was bended on the left side;
both wire aerials are joined to the tail;
camouflaged according to the 2nd template of August 1943;
probably with metal wings;
wide kremlin style stars on tail and fuselage;
white 1 painted both on the nose and the rudder;
small white starlet on the nose side air intakes;
possibly red spinner;
eagle and background painted on the stabilizer, probably on the left side only;
slogan ?To the countryman Hero of the Soviet Union comrade Pavlov from the workers of the town of Kustanay? in white on the left side;
four red starlets on the left fuselage side.

Photos of I.F.Pavlov aside his plane.

The slogans reads 'Zemlyaku Geroyu sovetskogo soyuza t.Pavlovu ot trudyashchikshya g. Kustanaj' that means ?To the countryman Hero of the Soviet Union comrade t. Pavlov from the workers of the town of Kustanaj?.

On the photo, we can see the unusual arrangement of the wire aerials, both joined to the tip of the stabilizer, and the antenna mast that looks bended on the left side.

A close view of the emblem on the tail (probably painted on the left side only).

Its colors should be natural, that is:

eagle's plumage in shades of brown
light blue sky;
light green grass, white snow, dark green trees, grey rocks;
a red band with a white number '200', possibly referred to the missions made by Pavlov, that arrived to 204.

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/il-2/il2-camo/pavlov/pavlov.html

Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 09:08:16 PM »

Very nice, Massimo!  One thing I noticed - it has the small sliding "window" on the port side of the gunner's canopy (you can see this on the second photograph).  I also noticed that you don't have the gunner's canopy on the topsides view.

Regards,

Jason
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 09:11:20 PM by learstang » Logged

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 09:58:44 PM »

Hi Jason,
that's true, I have to correct this.
About the vent, I haven't put it in any profile, if I add it here I have to do it on all.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 10:06:48 PM »

Hi Jason,
that's true, I have to correct this.
About the vent, I haven't put it in any profile, if I add it here I have to do it on all.
Regards
Massimo

About the vent, Massimo, I don't think you'd have to add them to all profiles.  I don't think all two-seaters or arrows had them.  If a photograph clearly shows one, I would add it; if not, don't add it.  I believe these were only fitted to a minority of arrows late in the war.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 07:34:41 AM »

Hi Jason,
I've updated the drawing.
About the vent, it looks present in the planes built in z1 and 18, I fear that I'll have to update at least a dozen of drawings.
Regards
Massimo
FPSOlkor

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 08:10:49 PM »

In front of Kustanai there is an abbrevation of russian g. - (looks like G in Hero) which is absent on the sideview painting.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:35:39 PM »

Hi Oleg,
I see a very small white thing on two images, sort of point. Is that the letter you mean?
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 10:39:21 PM »

It's third from above in red column...
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 07:41:50 AM »

Thank you. I've modified the drawing, the g.  is small but it is there now.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: