Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
MiG-3 Model Colours
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 01:16:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MiG-3 Model Colours  (Read 6297 times)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« on: November 01, 2012, 08:37:17 PM »

Below is an image showing what I hope are reasonably accurate examples of the four main colours which would be carried by an early MiG-3. The paints I used are:
AIIZ - Akan acrylic 73018
A-19 - Not available in Akan acrylic range; I used Akan 73001 AMT-4, lightened with Tamiya acrylic XF-4 (Yellow-Green - used as Yellow Zinc Chromate)
AIIG - Akan acrylic 73042
A-18 - not available in Akan acrylics; I used Humbrol 65

What I was trying to accomplish with the top surface colours was approximately the same contrast between AIIZ and A-19 as is seen in this photo:

...and also referencing this image by Konstantin:

All comments and opinions are welcome!

John
xan

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 10:23:48 PM »

The A-IIz is a akan colour so we admit it as accurate
I'm not able to tell you if you are un the right colour or not for the A-19 colour...
but your choise makes sens.
Those colours had to be the same for the all green I-16 too. However I 've not seen so much difference in the I-16 pics then in those two Mig-3 pics; Does anyone have an explication ?
Xan

KL

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 11:15:52 PM »

Hi John,  Smiley
Light green A-19f looks very good.  Mig-3 horizontal stabilizer at Vesivehmaa is exactly that colour - yellowish light green.
AII green looks a bit too dark - or darker than Vesivehmaa Mig-3 wing. Maybe your camera and my monitor made this colour too dark?
AII blue and A-18f are OK.  Both are pure light blue (something like sky blue), no gray in them.

Those colours had to be the same for the all green I-16 too. However I 've not seen so much difference in the I-16 pics then in those two Mig-3 pics; Does anyone have an explication ?

not for all I-16s.  Alkyd paints A-18f and A-19f appeared in 1940 - too late for I-16s - they may have been used on I-16 Type 29, but even that is questionable...  On earlier I-16 types, metal parts were painted with oil paint that looked the same as AII Green.

HTH,
KL
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:34:42 PM by KL » Logged
xan

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 12:00:48 AM »

Thank you mister K, read you is allways a good way to learn  Wink
Xan

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 02:15:41 AM »

Thank you, KL and xan! It seems there's a small disagreement between the "official" Akan colours and actual relics like the ones in Finland. I agree - the AII green in my image does look slightly too dark compared to the MiG-3 wing in the Vesivehmaa museum. This is also supported by the FS595 comparison with the paint on these MiG parts described elsewhere by Kari Lumppio - he gives FS34130 as a good match. This is lighter than the Akan AIIZ, so I'll adjust it with a small amount of the Tamiya Yellow-Green that I used to mix the A-18.

Thanks again!

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 07:43:12 AM »

Hi all,
on photos, the difference between the shades of green of MiG-3 is very reduced for the new planes, ad makes more and more evident with the weathering of the plane. So, it seems you have some freedom in choosing the most credible mix.
About the blue, I'm unsure. The colors look credible enough, in fact bw photos show the undersides of rear fuselage as darker than the metal parts, but a text of Kari Lumppio gives:

Much to our surprise we found light blue on both the LaGG-3 and the  MiG-3 was extremely similar. FS35352 was extremely close match to the blue on LaGG-3 (wooden/fabric surface). The blue on MiG-3 was also very, very close to that, both on wooden and metal surfaces. In fact the blues are so close that they most probably are same paint.

Averin writes in his article that blue paint AE-14 was introduced for undersides for MiG-1 and MiG-3 after the end of 1940 (Averin 94, p. 24). Averin's article has also a table where two other underside blues are given, AMT-7 Nitrolak for wooden and fabric surfaces and AMT-28M for metal surfaces. Start of use for both is given as 1941. So russian records have at least three different paints for aircraft undersides.
FS35352 has a slight greyish shade and resembles to Humbrol 115 (Russian Light blue), now out of catalogue. I don't know how time could have affected the paint.
The chips on the Akan catalogue allow to compare their interpretation of A-18f with the one of the AII green, and in my idea it should be less saturate than 65.

Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 07:10:49 PM »

Hi Massimo - thanks for your reply! I looked at your Table of Colours page to decide on all four of the colours I showed in the test image in my first post. I don't have Humbrol 115; however, I do still have a tin of the old Humbrol Authentics HT2, which was called Russian Underside Blue. I think it's the same as Hu115 - it matches FS35352 quite well. It is also darker than AKAN AIIG - what I was trying to do by using Hu65 was to find a colour, without doing any paint mixing, that was a bit lighter than the Akan colour. Maybe the Humbrol 65 is a bit too light, and I'll have to do some mixing whether I want to or not.  Undecided

John
KL

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 07:52:02 PM »

Much to our surprise we found light blue on both the LaGG-3 and the  MiG-3 was extremely similar. FS35352 was extremely close match to the blue on LaGG-3 (wooden/fabric surface). The blue on MiG-3 was also very, very close to that, both on wooden and metal surfaces. In fact the blues are so close that they most probably are same paint.

No surprises there!  The Lagg-3 undersides are glossy light blue.  Top is matt (flat) olive green and black.  So, undersides were painted with "old" AII Lt Blue, top was painted with "new" matt AMT paints.  This confirms what Vahlamov and Orlov has:  Blue AMT-7 was introduced later than green AMT-4 and black AMT-6, sometimes in 1942.

Averin writes in his article that blue paint AE-14 was introduced for undersides for MiG-1 and MiG-3 after the end of 1940 (Averin 94, p. 24). Averin's article has also a table where two other underside blues are given, AMT-7 Nitrolak for wooden and fabric surfaces and AMT-28M for metal surfaces. Start of use for both is given as 1941. So russian records have at least three different paints for aircraft undersides.

You may discount AMT-7 Nitrolak from the trio, see above.  AE-14 appears in Averin's and Pilawskii's research only Undecided
underside of the Vesivehmaa Mig-3 tail and undersides of its wings are definitelly painted with different paints - paint is peeling from the tail while wing paint is like new.  Those two light blues may look very similar of the same, but I would still make one on metal parts slightly lighter.
Again, Light blue is just blue, not grayish blue and it's glossy.  Smiley
HTH,
KL     
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: