Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
neat nose art on A-20B "Boston" 3rd Sq, 8th Guards Bomber Aviation Regt.
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 10:07:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: neat nose art on A-20B "Boston" 3rd Sq, 8th Guards Bomber Aviation Regt.  (Read 6356 times)
Troy Smith

« on: November 27, 2012, 04:18:06 AM »

HI

having just got some more AMT A-20's cheap [2 in one box for 10GBP] I was searching about, and ran across this pic here and was struck by the great nose art. Not seen this before, so thought worth a post.
http://waralbum.ru/126454/
Экипаж А-20В ?Бостон? 3-й эскадрильи советского 8-го гвардейского бомбардировочного авиаполка 221-й бомбардировочной авиадивизии

I'm quite impressed at google translate
Bomber American production of A-20B "Boston" 3rd Squadron of the 8th Guards Bomber Aviation Regiment, 221st Bomber Division of the 16th Air Army of the 1st Belorussian Front and its crew:

- Navigator - Guard Lieutenant Alexei Shalyutin;
- Pilot - Guard Lieutenant Alexander M. knots;
- Gunner - Guards Sergeant Ivan I. Mikhaylov;
- Arrows - Guard Sergeant Ilya Arsentievich Parrots.

Orel-Kursk. Airfield "Zadonsk."

December 15, 1943 this crew perform military intelligence to the task set of artillery and tanks in Garmovichi, Korotkovichi and farm them. 11 kostrichnikov. At 9:30 in the Korotkovichi was met and attacked the 6th enemy fighters like the Me-109. In unequal air combat aircraft received eight rounds of through holes and over 200 high-explosive bullet. One shell was brought to the navigator to their base. Fighters fired six attacks, wrecking the wheel height and depth (?) Completely broken right tank, the right tire wheel chassis and broken left screw. The car was uncontrollable and the height 4000 m was a mess-up to the height of 800 m, but only thanks to the courage and bravery of a knot on a height of 800 meters the car derived from the peak. The instrument panel has refused to work. The aircraft was uncontrollable and bitch knowing that his gunner wounded, stubbornly kept the plane on the airfield. Not wanting to leave the plane and air gunner, 160 km regardless of the difficulties was driving without a pointer speed. Steering wheel not working depth (R) and height. Safely brought the aircraft to the airfield and landed. Thereby saved the lives of the crew and vehicle.

Shalyutin navigator, regardless of the difficulties, all the way to give the pilot route to their base. The job was done, information about the enemy and the weather along the route given to the staff completely.

In aerial combat arrows Mikhailov and parrots shot down one enemy plane. In this Parrots got heavy hands shrapnel wound, and Mikhailov - shrapnel wound to his feet, but continued to fight.

(Description of the award sheets bomber crew of 16 December 1943)

At this point, the crew made Suchkova 63 sorties, 12 of them for exploration. During this flight Guard lieutenant Suchkov awarded Order of Patriotic War 1st degree, Guard lieutenant Shalyutin - Order of the Patriotic War 1st degree Guard sergeant Mikhailov medal "For Military Merit", Guard sergeant Parrots medal "For Courage".

Thank User Spiat for valuable additions to the description of the photo.

oh for a side photo of this!

hope of interest.
T

learstang

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 05:44:41 AM »

Nice photograph, Troy!  I'm just a little concerend about that translated passage "...bitch knowing that his gunner wounded..."  Really, is that any way to talk about a Guards pilot?!  "Yo, then the beeyatch put his plane down, ya dig?"

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 12:42:39 PM »

Hi Jason,
It is a magic of Google translator Smiley
Original sentence is: "Самолет был неуправляемым и Сучков зная, что..." e.g that "bitch" is poorly translated name Suchkov...

Regards,
     66misos

learstang

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 05:24:05 PM »

Thank you, 66misos!  Sometimes these machine translations can be unintentionally amusing.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
FPSOlkor

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 08:30:43 PM »

I have a couple of interesting photos of A-20s, though not in the best size... But have no idea how to attach them. If somebody can do it i can send them via e-mail.
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 09:29:32 PM »

I have a couple of interesting photos of A-20s, though not in the best size... But have no idea how to attach them. If somebody can do it i can send them via e-mail.

You can try sending them to me if you want - jthmpson(at)eol.ca

I can't be sure that they'll make it through my service provider's spam trap, but give it a shot.

John
FPSOlkor

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 09:02:12 PM »

You can try sending them to me if you want - jthmpson(at)eol.ca

I can't be sure that they'll make it through my service provider's spam trap, but give it a shot.

John
Seems to have gone through - at least no refusal messages...
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 09:31:42 PM »

Got them! Here they are:

John
Troy Smith

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 06:35:34 AM »

same plane [and photo shoot]  as the first pic... damn, still can't see the tail numbers... Cry

But still very interesting seeing more examples of VVS nose art.  fascinating.

cheers
T
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: