Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Il-2 Modelling Guide
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 03:17:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Il-2 Modelling Guide  (Read 8960 times)
learstang

« on: December 13, 2012, 05:27:14 AM »

I know I've already mentioned this fact in a few (or more) posts I've made on this forum (amongst others), but I'm currently finishing up an extensive guide to modelling the Il-2.  This book features photographs from the GPW, drawings especially commissioned for the book from our very own Massimo Tessitori, and reviews of all the kits and accessories currently available for the Shturmovik (at least those I know about, of course).  In addition, I have a detailed build on the Hobby Boss wheeled single-seater 1/32nd scale kit, and a fairly extensive review of the 1/48th scale Tamiya Il-2 kit.  I also have some walk-around photographs of currently extant Shturmoviks, both restored and unrestored.

At present my plans are to release it initially as an ebook, available through Lulu.com.  This is the cheapest and easiest route for me, as I've basically already paid for everything I need in order to publish the book.  However, if there is sufficient interest in an actual, hold it in your hands book, I will explore that option also.  Frankly, I like to have an actual book to look at; however, one of the advantages of the ebook form is that I can add new reviews to it when new Il-2 items are released.  I'd be more than happy to have it available in both formats, but I need to know if I'm going to make any money off a full-blown book.  The "real" book would cost more than the ebook, and I'm thinking $15USD (9.35 GBP or 11.61 Euros) would be reasonable for the book; the ebook would cost less, but I'm not sure how much less.  Of course the more I can sell, the cheaper I can sell it at.  Any comments and questions are welcome!

Best Regards,

Jason Moore

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 07:14:19 PM »

Hi Jason,
this price looks very cheap. Have you made some calculations on how many copies you'll have to sell just to cover the expenses?
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 07:27:38 PM »

Hi Jason,
this price looks very cheap. Have you made some calculations on how many copies you'll have to sell just to cover the expenses?
Regards
Massimo

That may be a bit cheap for an actual book; that's one of the things I'm trying to determine is how many books I might sell, based on what kind of feedback and interest is shown in the various fora I'm posting this information on.  I'm not much of a capitalist; I don't see making a lot of money on this.  Obviously I do want to make some money, if just to cover what I've already spent, but I don't want to price myself out of reach of those who might only have a passing interest in the Shturmovik and/or VVS modelling.  Nothing's set in stone right now.

Best Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
K.Ingraham

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 03:26:26 AM »

Jason, I'm good for both! having seen your work around here, it would be a crime not to have such a reference! Plus, it's a steal at those prices but I'll still buy them regardless. You will have to sign the hardcopies.
I like the update option!

Is there a timeline for the release?

Seriously looking forward to these!  Grin
learstang

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 01:38:28 AM »

Jason, I'm good for both! having seen your work around here, it would be a crime not to have such a reference! Plus, it's a steal at those prices but I'll still buy them regardless. You will have to sign the hardcopies.
I like the update option!

Is there a timeline for the release?

Seriously looking forward to these!  Grin

Thank you Kevin for your interest and input!  I will probably wait until the release of the Tamiya arrow and Academy straight-winged two-seater in 1/72nd scale as these will be the best kits of those versions in that scale (my favourite), and I want to be able to review them, perhaps in depth.  This will also give me time to make sure I have all the photographs I need (I'm pretty well set on colour profiles, thanks to Mr. Tessitori).  I would say by the middle of next year, at the latest, I'll have at least the ebook ready for sale.  Hopefully sooner.

Best Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 07:21:15 AM »

Hi Jason,
I'll have still to add some. To begin with, still some singleseaters with 'standard' look.
Regards
Massimo
bbrought

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 10:43:29 PM »

I will buy a hardcopy for sure.

BA Broughton
learstang

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 01:16:19 AM »

I will buy a hardcopy for sure.

Thank you, BA!

Best Regards,

Jason
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 05:48:07 PM by learstang » Logged

- Warren William Zevon
warhawk

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 10:12:39 AM »

Also interested in this reference in either form  Wink
learstang

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 05:50:27 PM »

Also interested in this reference in either form  Wink

Thank you very much, warhawk!  I've been busy adding photographs to my book, so work is proceeding.

Best Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
K.Ingraham

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 04:34:48 AM »

Thanks for your reply Jason, Sorry for the delay-I don't check in here all that often anymore. I'll be watching for news.

Happy & Prosperous 2013 to all here!
Apex1701

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 07:24:12 PM »

Hi Jason,

I prefer a hardcover on ebook.
Of course ebooks can be updated but, there's nothing stopping you offering these updates to buyers of the real book.

BTW I'll be willing to pay 20 or 30 USD for a book.
Of course at 15 I'll buy it too  Grin

All the best.

Jean
learstang

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 07:39:57 PM »

Thank you Jean and Kevin for your feedback!  Jean, it's nice to know you'd pay a little more - I'm tempted to charge more for the book, but I don't want to price myself out of the market.  Maybe I'll charge for the updates, and if I come out with a CD that has the various Il-2's in 3D format, I'll definitely charge for that, as that will be separate from the book.

Best Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: