Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
La-5 from Roden LaGG-3 and ICM Su-2?
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 02:15:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: La-5 from Roden LaGG-3 and ICM Su-2?  (Read 5936 times)
Aaronw

« on: December 18, 2012, 06:39:55 AM »

From what I've pieced together we really don't have a satisfactory La-5 in 1/72. The AML being a chore to build, and the rest just wrong. With the Roden LaGG-3 seemingly a decent representation of the aircraft and the Su-2 apparently a pretty nice effort, would I be completely off course lopping off the nose of an LaGG-3 and grafting on the nose of the Su-2 as was apparently done on the prototype?

Assuming this is not crazy talk, would I be better off with a series 35 or 66 kit, and how much nose do I need to remove from the LaGG-3. Anything I'm missing here? Is there a better way to do this, maybe one of the La-5s is salvagable combined with other bits.

I am well aware actually building such a model will release a swarm of newly tooled La-5s, but I'm willing to live with that.  Grin
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 08:10:30 AM »

Hi Aaronw,
I don't think it is a good idea, the existing models are not so bad to justify this. I built the model of Maquette and had some problems with the frail plastic, but apart for the onion-shaped engine it looked decent.
Take into account that the canopy of the Roden is too flat and not fully identical to that of La-5, that the kit of Su-2 of ICM has an-M88 engine instead of an M-82. This time would be better utilized to convert a kit into something that doesn't exist yet.
Regards
Massimo
Walker

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 06:59:36 PM »

P&J resin La-5 with two different canopy and decal over 30 paint options, costs U.S. $ 27 + shipping.

Better yet no one did. And in the plastic it probably will not be soon.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 07:07:57 PM by Walker » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 07:06:04 PM »

It's really well made. Is it possible to make a trainer version too?
Regards
Massimo
Walker

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 07:13:10 PM »

Thank you, Massimo.
Later planned to return to this subject. As soon finish a series of jet Lavochkin, will do La-9, La-11, La-5F, La 5UTI maybe La 5FN. So confess encyclopedic approach ...  Grin
learstang

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 08:23:44 PM »

All the new La-5's would be very nice, Musa (and of course the La-9 and La-11)!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 08:50:45 PM »

Hey Aaron - I can personally testify to the excellence of the Prop & Jet La-5 if resin kits don't scare you - it's brilliant, and for $27 it's a terrific bargain. This thread may help with arranging a purchase, although I'm sure Musa can give you guidance as well:
http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1157.0

John
Aaronw

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 03:42:55 AM »

Resin is fine, and that is a fair price, not anymore than buying the two kits I mentioned to Frankenstien an La-5 from. The list of recommended kits I have is a few years old and at the time I guess P&J was either not available, or not considered for a casual VVS builder (I'm not obsessed yet like some, but I'm working on it  Grin ).

Added to my list, thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: