Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
"Za Rodinu" conundrum
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 01:45:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: "Za Rodinu" conundrum  (Read 11177 times)
warhawk

« on: December 29, 2012, 08:44:49 PM »

I wanted to make masks for my 1/72 model. But hen I found two photos with clearly different inscription. Are these two photos of same plane?
Or one of them is retouched?

learstang

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 08:59:54 PM »

Look at the wingroot weathering - it appears to be the same aeroplane.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 01:06:48 AM »

I wanted to make masks for my 1/72 model. But hen I found two photos with clearly different inscription. Are these two photos of same plane?
Or one of them is retouched?

They're two different photos of the same aircraft. Note the shape of the trees in the background of both photos, the deflection of the left aileron, and the branch laying on the ground just below the left aileron. One photo looks slightly darker and shows less detail just because of a difference in lighting, exposure, developing conditions, etc. Also note, however, that the prop has been moved slightly and the cowling panel is in a different position, so they're not just two versions of the same photo.

Here's a link to Massimo's page on this aircraft:
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/zarodinu.html

Here's one more photo, although it's not much different from the others:

John
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 01:17:12 AM by John Thompson » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 06:29:32 AM »

Very strange, isn't it?   Of the photos in this page, only the first one shows the variations in thickness of the characters, although it's unmistakably the same plane. I suppose that the right shape is the one shown on the other photos. Perhaps the alteration is due to the development or contrasting of the photo.
Regards
Massimo
warhawk

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 10:58:54 AM »

I guess it is safe to presume the first photo has been edited for printing it somewhere, thus it shows less detail and harsher shadows.
So, i'm gonna use the latter one for my masks.

What is your opinion of putting this slogan on both sides? It kinda looks sprayed with a stencil to me.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 11:04:12 AM by warhawk » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 11:49:27 AM »

Hi Warhawk,
the plane was photographed at least three times, always from the same side. It's a strong suggestion that there is nothing interesting on the other side.
Regards
Massimo
warhawk

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 12:05:31 PM »

Then I guess that makes my work a bit easier...  Wink
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 05:25:33 PM »

Very strange, isn't it?   Of the photos in this page, only the first one shows the variations in thickness of the characters, although it's unmistakably the same plane. I suppose that the right shape is the one shown on the other photos. Perhaps the alteration is due to the development or contrasting of the photo.
Regards
Massimo

I think your conclusion is correct  - the apparent tapering of the letters in the first photo is just a trick of the lighting or the developing process. There's no sign, nor any reason to expect, that the second photo was retouched, so I would use it without concern. This is another one of thousands of unofficial photos that were made by German soldiers or staff during Operation Barbarossa, developed, printed, and then just stored away somewhere until some dealer in antiquities bought them and resold them on ebay.de - retouching would be very unlikely.

It almost seems as if every soldier in the entire Wehrmacht was issued with a camera when he enlisted - the volume of these photos is truly amazing, and I'm glad - without them, our documentation of these aircraft that interest us so much would be much more difficult or even, in most cases, impossible.

John
learstang

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 05:57:49 PM »

Landser's check list; Helmet - check.  Mauser - check.  Ammunition pouch - check.  Leica - check.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
xan

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 11:58:34 PM »

Hello,
a friend of mine did it at 1/478 scale

Xan

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 08:25:20 AM »

Excellent model Xan, thank you for posting it.
Regards
Massimo
warhawk

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 09:27:54 PM »

Found yet another one... quality is somewhere between previous two photos

Troy Smith

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 03:11:15 AM »

To me the slogan looks like it's in aluminium paint, note the picture is well exposed, with an overcast sky, giveing a very soft and even illumination[looks at the soft shadows]  but the lettering is not white, and has the faint 'sheen' that aluminium paint has.

Also the same tone as exposed metal where paint is worn away on wingroot and cockpit rails, and darker than the trunks of the birch trees in the background.

HTH
T
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 08:04:49 AM »

It can be. Unfortunately it's difficult to distinguish this from the effect of the exhaust gas stain, whose flux is descending because of the rotation impressed by the propeller to the air around the fuselage.
Regards
Massimo
warhawk

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 09:43:41 AM »

To me it looks that the shine is just an overall shine of the entire plane (probably was still new when it was destroyed)
Look at the wings or the rear fuselage behind the inscription - they all have that sheen.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: