Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Help with Hurricane "white 42" colours
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 12:28:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Hurricane "white 42" colours  (Read 26597 times)
marluc

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2010, 03:05:42 PM »

Hello:

I?ve made modifications to the profile of "white 42" to show it as an ex-316 Sqn Hurricane,with unit code,badge and polish covered with russian greeen:

I used this photo of a 316 Sqn?s bird as a reference,where it looks like the triangle of the unit badge is just bellow the radio mast and the polish flag is bellow and closer to the engine exhaust,than the RAF Hurricane of the previous picture.At least to my eye,this features are just in the same place as the repaintings that can be seen on "white 42" photo,taken from the left.

Are there yellow bands in the leading edge in the previous and next pictures? Or is it light reflection?

This photos were also taken from here: http://polishsquadronsremembered.com/316/41/1941_hurricane_pics.html

Greetings.

Martin
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 03:17:36 PM by marluc » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2010, 07:18:33 AM »

Hi Martin,
looking again to the fourth photo of the topic, I think to see a demarcation line under the exhaust pipes, and one behind the sky stripe, that are compatible with the B scheme. The same for a sort of shadow in front of the windshield on the third photo. My idea is always that the B scheme is the right one. Brown on brown, green on green.
Massimo
marluc

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 10:15:49 PM »

Hello Massimo:

I can see the demarcation line behind the sky band but not the one under the exhaust pipes.The "B" pattern is one of the probable schemes for "white 42",the last profile is just my interpretation of this Hurricane but it?s hard to make a definitive conclusion reagarding the real aspect of Z2585 in soviet service.
Thanks Massimo and Graham for your help,greetings.

Martin
Troy Smith

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2014, 09:49:50 PM »

Revisiting this thread, some points.

316 Squadron swapped from Hurricane to Spitfire in November 1941
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._316_Polish_Fighter_Squadron

Z2585 was a Hurricane Mk.IIA, built by Hawkers before April 1941 and serving with 56 and 316 Squadrons before being sent to Russia on 11 December 1941.

the 316 Sq page linked
http://polishsquadronsremembered.com/316/41/1941_hurricane_pics.html

Mix group of airmen and erks in front of Hurricane Mk IIA SZ-H, Z2506 late 1941

and

Both show planes that have been repainted in Day Fighter Scheme, with a low contrast,  suggesting use of a mixed grey. 

While 42/Z2585 does not appear like this, I think this is most likely in DFS, with some large fresh patches of RAF Dark Green used to overpaint RAF MArkings and codes.

note in this image

how the tailplanes, which are getting light off the snow, are darker than the sky band.   

also note the spinner vs the wing root, which should be really bright if sky, from light reflected off snow. 

The patch behind the '42' on the port side is strange, fresh Ocean Grey possibly?   

There are other factors, strange lighting, due low sun and cloud, note the light is very diffuse, with no hard shadows, and possibly a coat of ice over much of the plane, giving a gloss effect.

As I have pointed out before, Lend Lease Aircraft being delivered with original national markings, be it RAF or US, are the exceptions.   Odd shoddy overpainting yes, but not VVS overpainting.

One area of confusing maybe the oft reproduced aircraft at NII VVS, which were sample aircraft, and repainted in a rush, or not at all, and these would have VVS overpainted markings.

Main deliveries, eg photos from Abadan and ALSIB show application of Red Star before delivery.

the other exceptions would be aircraft handed over by the RAF in Soviet Union,  eg 151 wing and some PR aircraft.  In case of 151 wing I wonder if RAF paints were used there as well, but are fresh/different batch so appear different.

Hope of interest.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: