Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
MiG-3 1:48 Trumpeter (Pokryshkin?)
Sovietwarplanes
April 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MiG-3 1:48 Trumpeter (Pokryshkin?)  (Read 8420 times)
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« on: January 31, 2013, 03:14:56 PM »

Hi,
this is MiG-3 from Trumpeter in 1:48 scale.
I wanted to build a plane flown by Pokryshkin just at the war outbreak.

Basic info I found at: 

1.) http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=647.0
...Pokryshkin flown a Mig-3 "White 67" during Summer 1942 : "MiG-3 aircraft were "white 5", "white 67", "4", and "7" and also "01" [likely the winter-scheme aircraft behind him in a photo](perhaps not in this order). The likliest order is "7", "4", "01" (winter 1941-February 1942), "white 5" (shows "GVARDIYA" on the intakes - likely dates to when the unit was awarded this designation), and finally "67" ...
and
...Some yeats ago, I made some researches with the help of two friends that read versions of Poktryshkin's memories, one in German, the other one in Russian. They both said that there was not any indication on numbers and painting of his own plane. There, at least.
Then I looked for all the available images of MiG-3, and all the available images of Pokryshkin. I reached the conclusion that there are no images to ever attempt to trace a profile. I've found only one image of him in front of a winter-finished MiG, whose number was not readable. Besides, I read of a photo of a green plane (early 1941 style) with a 7 on its tail...

2.) here http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/colors1.html

3.) and a number of photos found on Internet showing destroyed MiG-3 with red stars on the upperwings.

Based on all above this is my interpretation of the early MiG-3 "White 7" that could look like plane flown by Pokryshkin:

The model is airbrushed with AKAN Acrylics AII Green and AII Blue, A-14 for interior, Aluminium Alclad for propeller. Then Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color (different mixes of black/brown and grey) and MIG pigments used for weathering.
Central metal surface was airbrushed with very slightly lightened AII Green and difference enhanced by a bit more Revell Matt.
Eduard PE parts were used for interior and exterior details and Eduard Mask for painting canopy.
I know about some mistakes (ailerons, covers in front of exhaust pipes, sliding canopy cover...) now but it's too late.

Regards,
     66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 03:32:28 PM »

Hi Misos,
it's a nice model, even with the defects that you have mentioned already. I would only add that the front and rear fuselage usually show different shades in photos, at least for weathered planes.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 03:48:41 PM »

Hi Massimo,
thank you for feedback. There is subtle difference in reality, unfortunately not so apparent on the photos.

May be this one shows it better:

Regards,
    66misos
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:53:44 PM by 66misos » Logged

learstang

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 05:39:08 PM »

Very nice MiG-3, 66misos!  Thank you for posting!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Pascal

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 11:14:36 PM »

I like it! Thank you.

Pascal

Seawinder

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 02:51:49 AM »

I know about some mistakes (ailerons, covers in front of exhaust pipes, sliding canopy cover...) now but it's too late.

Regards,
     66misos

Hi there.
Thanks for sharing the photos of your model. Nice work. What are the issues with the ailerons and sliding canopy cover? I'm just starting the Trumpeter early version myself.

Pip
66misos

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 09:10:04 PM »

Hi Seawinder,
thank you for your post. Let me answer your question:

1.) ailerons have to go one up and second down, not both in one direction,

2.) tubular cover in front of the first exhaust pipe was not in the first versions:

vs.

3.) rear part of the sliding canopy cover should be translucent plaxiglass, not painted canopy frame. This detail was not reflected even on the Eduard Experss Masks but is visible on the photos of the real plane:

More details you can find at Massimo's page http://www.mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/mig3captured.html

Regards,
     66misos

Seawinder

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 09:47:24 PM »

Thanks, Misos. I was aware of the exhaust issue, but not the sliding canopy. I'll keep that in mind when I get to that part of the build.
Pip
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: