Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
70th Anniversary of the Surrender at Stalingrad
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 01:37:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 70th Anniversary of the Surrender at Stalingrad  (Read 4919 times)
learstang

« on: February 02, 2013, 06:46:24 PM »

70 years ago today, the last fragments of the once mighty German 6th Army surrendered at Stalingrad to the forces of General Vasiliy Ivanovich Chuikov's 62th Army (Friedrich Paulus had surrendered on January 31st).  Za Rodinu!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
B_Realistic

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 06:47:46 PM »

Yes and the Russian where very surprised that Paulus surrendered.....
learstang

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 06:50:28 PM »

Yes and the Russian where very surprised that Paulus surrendered.....

I think they expected that he would commit suicide.  That was why Hitler had made him a Field Marshall, as he knew that Paulus knew that no German Field Marshall had ever surrendered.  Paulus is supposed to have remarked something to the effect that he was not going to kill himself for some corporal (Hitler).

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
4bogreen

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 11:38:39 PM »

Some fierce fighting there in ''der kessel"... Life expectation of a soldier was 24 hour...

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
learstang

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 04:27:30 AM »

Some fierce fighting there in ''der kessel"... Life expectation of a soldier was 24 hour...

It was a real meat-grinder.  The Soviet 62nd Army was destroyed several times over, but kept being resupplied with just enough men to remain a fighting force.  General Chuikov (who remained in Stalingrad) and his men earned their medals.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
B_Realistic

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 08:40:47 AM »

It was a real meat-grinder.  The Soviet 62nd Army was destroyed several times over, but kept being resupplied with just enough men to remain a fighting force.  General Chuikov (who remained in Stalingrad) and his men earned their medals.

Regards,

Jason

I was wondering what the average time a pilot spend his days during the GPW?
It depends off course which year and battle but what was it for an Il-2 pilot and his gunman?
4bogreen

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 01:23:19 PM »

I don't know about the pilot, but a lot of pilots refused to go up with a gunman... Simply because they died to often and the pilots found it sad to fly with them... Cry
If a focke wulf A6 creeps up behind you and fires his guns... Lips Sealed  Undecided

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: