Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Ladies' decoration
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 12:50:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ladies' decoration  (Read 11244 times)
erussell

« on: February 09, 2013, 12:19:35 AM »

The new Osprey book on Pe-2 Guards Regiments includes this photo

The associated profile has the swallow in blue. Given real ones are brownish grey, is there any reason to think it was light blue?
Who knows - there may be a written reference somewhere........
Troy Smith

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 02:48:48 AM »

HI Ed

IIRC your in Australia?

In Europe swallows are blue on top... they don't tend to look this blue unless in good light though. But not light blue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barn_Swallow

Are there pics of the whole plane though?  Now that would be interesting.  Or have they presumed a bort number from the constructor number? 

HTH
T
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 02:51:17 AM by Troy Smith » Logged
erussell

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 05:10:08 AM »

Thanks - that looks like a 'Chernobyl' swallow which glows in the dark! lol

It's interesting where modelling takes you.... I now know that's a Barn Swallow, that swallows are cosmopolitan and many swallows migrate to the Southern Hemisphere including Australia in winter.

I was thinking a Barn Swallow looked more like this guy.......

That is the only picture I know of to show this plane (edit - see below!). My next question was where did they get the "89" but you have probably answered it - by deduction from the constructors' number.

So, next question, how does one deduce the bort number 89 from c/n 14/136?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 07:41:06 AM by erussell » Logged
learstang

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 05:33:37 AM »

How do you deduce a bort from the construction number?  The c/n is assigned by the zavod, the factory, whilst the bort is assigned by the polk, or regiment.  Is this not correct?

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Troy Smith

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 06:16:27 AM »

Ed

that looks the Swallows I used to see 20 or so years ago, don't see them these days here, which is southern England. [I was interested in birds before planes]  In England they are just Swallows.
It's basically dark blue though, not brownish grey...

I'm very skeptical of profiles without a photo these days though.

Jason, I'd love to know how they got the bort number too.

I must go to bed

later
T

learstang

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 06:40:03 AM »

The real question becomes, are these European or African swallows, and are they laden or unladen?  (This question is no doubt incomprehensible to anyone not familiar with British humour of the last 40 or so years.)

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 06:54:37 AM »

Hi,
maybe some of these ladies has written some book of memories where the number can be read. For what I know, only Lavochkins had their bort number painted in factory with the last two ciphers of the factory number. Maybe you could contact the author to question about this.
Regards
Massimo
erussell

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 07:39:24 AM »

This would appear to validate the "89". I do like it when people produce good evidence.

Any opinions on colour scheme?

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 07:42:43 AM by erussell » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 08:49:15 AM »

Hi,
good image indeed. Was it sent by the author?
The plane has certainly a 3 colors camouflage typical of bombers after August 1943.
Maybe this page can give some help, even if the late camouflages of Pe-2s seem to have  been not very repetitive.
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/pe2/pe2camo/pe2camo.htm
Regards
Massimo
erussell

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 10:08:18 AM »

That page is quite helpful. The Osprey book has it in two greys with a light blue bird.
The picture came as an anonymous email but it may have been from the reclusive Reina Pennington as I have asked her for pictures before. I didn't know she read this forum though.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 11:30:06 AM »

Anonymous email? looks mysterious...
I don't think that this plane was in two-gray pattern. I think to see three shades on the fuselage.
Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:32:21 AM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
erussell

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 03:59:26 AM »

I think you are probably right about 3 upper colours.
I guess the last question is what does the constructor number 14/136 tell us about the date of build and what series of Pe-2 this plane is?
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 09:52:49 AM »

Hi,
the exhaust stacks are separed, so it looks a late plane. At present time I have not good knowkledge of the evolution of Pe-2, but the Squadron describes this variant as 'serie 359 built in summer 1944 and later; it should have a forward-moved small retractable windshield on the back hatch.
If I'm wrong about exhausts, and 139 is the serie, according to the Squadron it should have large pipe-like exhausts, wood aft fuselage with beaver-shaped tail, and two smalll side windows under the nose deleted, with the retractable windshield overposed to the hatch's doors.
Serie 115 was built in Autumn 1942, so 139 could have been built in winter 1942/43 and have black-green finish. This don't seem the case of the photo.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 05:38:36 PM »

Hi,
I quote part of a mail by Alex Ruchkosky on this subject:
Hello Ed and Massimo,
Sorry guys I really have no time to post anything at the forum but let me just email you what I can say about the 125 GBAP plane. Use it as you like.
First of all, lets not regard the Squadron or Osprey book as anything useful except a source of photos. Peter Smith's book (Crowood) is better even though it has its owen share of mistakes.
Speaking of plane #89, I cant agree with Massimo that we can see any individual exhaust pipes, I think it could be a single-piece collector which we dont see behind the wing. 125GBAP had planes of quite a few different series at different times, see pictures below.

Also, as we see, the aerial mast is located at the rear end of the pilot canopy, so this would make it a so-called "series 179" plane that has already has 105PF engines bot not yet all those series 205-211 improvements: no air brake fairings, no bomb rack refinements, no rounded lower engine cowls. If you look at this rough scheme I once did - the left sketch is what you need for PF planes before srs205; center is series 205-->, and right is early pe2 with RA engines (reduction gear and prop shaft a bit lower than PF, hence the upper cowl is more sloping).

Production time probably second half of 1943. 3-color scheme quite possible. Hardly possible for 2-tone grey as it does have 3 apparent shades on the fuselage.
I would not quess on colors of swallows Smiley Those ladies have never been to Australia for sure, and also finding dark blue paint could have been tricky. I must refresh texts I read on the 125th but if my memory serves me right there could have been more than 1 plane with the swallow painting. So 14/136 should not necessarily be tactical 89.
I have attached what I have on the 125th planes. Hope it helps Smiley

I'll add the images as soon as possible. About the swallow: my idea is that it's painted black and white.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 10:02:37 PM »

I guess the last question is what does the constructor number 14/136 tell us about the date of build and what series of Pe-2 this plane is?

If this is a factory number  Huh, then it is 14th plane of the 136 series.  Each series should have had 20 planes.
Zavod 22 production by year from wikipedia http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9F%D0%B5-2

1940 - 0

1941 - 1120 planes

1942 - 1937 planes

1943 - 2423 planes

1944 - 2944 planes

1945 - 1634 planes

This should give you an idea what series were made in what year - planes of the136th series were made in 1942...

HTH,
KL
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 06:14:21 PM by KL » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: