Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
1/48 MiG-3 late ''black 12'' build
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 08:08:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/48 MiG-3 late ''black 12'' build  (Read 95897 times)
4bogreen

« on: February 25, 2013, 09:14:33 AM »

Hey guys,

Currently i am working on my 1/48 MiG-3 from trumpeter. The build process is almost complete and were now moving to the painting process  Grin. I have the idea to paint the tubular frame and seat a bit lighter blue (yellow primer) than the cockpit walls. Unfortunately i don't have the Akan paint, so it will be done with Vallejo paints (mixing, mixing Grin). If i have figure out how to post my photo's here then i will upload some here.

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
4bogreen

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 10:04:38 AM »

Maybe its handy to tell who black 12 is... Black 12 is the second plane above the more famous red 2 (with the so called red wings and black propeller) by the Moscow airfield in the winter of 1941. I will do a winter camouflage.

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 05:21:24 PM »

Hi Remco,
the only color photo of the seat of MiG-3 shows a olive green back armour, with an apparently unpainted lower seat. The photos of the dismantled MiGs shows usually dark tubulars, probably green in the cockpit zone and black in the engine zone. The inner face of panels is reported light blue in the cockpit area, and dark, probably green, in the engine area. The part behind the seat, visible through the glazing, was probably green.  I can't guarantee that it is always so, a veteran reports also of MiGs with interiors in black, in uniform light blue or an unidentified skin color, besides medium grey is possible as the usual color of Soviet planes.
Sorry to have not more conclusive informations.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 08:53:07 PM »

I have the idea to paint the tubular frame and seat a bit lighter blue (yellow primer) than the cockpit walls.

In most cases the colour depended on the type of metal:

-  yellow primer was usede only for duralluminium
-  duralluminium interior (for example fuselage structure) was sometimes primed, sometimes it wasn't.  It was painted with various oil paints: gray, gray-green, brown-gray, light green
-  steel was painted in similar colours: gray, gray-green, brown-gray, light green
-  cast iron was commonly painted in dark green or olive green
-  primer for iron (if used) was red
4bogreen

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 10:48:50 AM »

Its a difficult situation here... I have made the following;
- The seat will be green
- Tubulars will be grey
- cockpit sidepannels will be blue
- The part behind the seat will be the same as the cockpit sidepannels
- The radio's on the space behind the seat will be green and black

any suggestions??

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 11:08:18 AM »

Hi 4bogreen,

you can find some inspiration about MiG-3 colors here http://www.mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/colorized/colorized.html

Regards,
     66misos

4bogreen

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 08:02:11 PM »

Finally, as promised the photo's off the cockpit

I hope you like it  Smiley

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
learstang

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 08:09:47 PM »

Very nice start, Remco!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
KL

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 08:18:57 PM »

- The seat will be green
- Tubulars will be grey
- cockpit sidepannels will be blue
- The part behind the seat will be the same as the cockpit sidepannels
- The radio's on the space behind the seat will be green and black

Hi Remco,
your cockpit is basically light blue and that is not likely  Embarrassed.  The official cockpit colour was "steel gray" and you should use it.

My suggestions:
-  fuselage frame - medium or darker gray-green
-  cockpit sides - steel gray
-  back armour - dark/olive green
-  radio - light gray-green

HTH,
KL
4bogreen

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 09:31:32 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys, see i am still learning  Wink

I like the pics you posted!
The following i ''learned''
-tubular frames- a bit off very dark grey-green
-cockpit sides steel gray (i am still having a bit off second thoughts about the blue  Undecided)
-seat-green
-radio's gray-green and black
-area behind the seat-green
Any other suggestions?

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 09:41:25 PM »

Hi,
I agree with green for the radio deck.

This one is from I-200 n.3.
Unfortunately I haven't conclusive photos, but this one shows that the rear fuselage of the plane was painted green before installing the metallic tail surfaces. It is likely that they did this before mounting the rear glazing too.

Besides a light blue surface would be very visible from above and would create reflexes inside the canopy.
This seems to suggest a dark color, green or grey, for the lower part of the seat too.
The landing gear was painted with the outer color, light blue, apart for the wheels whose disk was green. it's likely that this was made on some other surfaces too; so for those accessible from above, green is likely.
About the sides: at least the one in Finland had light blue ones, but it's possible that it was not the same for all ones.
Then, maybe it is obvious, but I would add: black on instrument panel, switches box and throttle box, and on the strut supporting the gunsight, all parts that could create reflexes inside the widshield.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 10:13:41 PM »

Massimo,
Do you have any "photographic evidence" for light blue cockpit?  Vesivehmaa MiG-3 is a prewar plane, painted according to the standards - IMHO, there was no reason for improvisations and substitutes.

Radio:

Parashute "cup" should be A-14 "steel gray".  Made of dur-alluminium and within the cockpit...  preserved Yak-3 in Paris has steel gray lower seat.

Wheels are made of cast iron, so dark green/olive green is OK.

HTH,
KL
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 07:31:09 AM »

At present time, no, only the report of Lumppio on the pieces in the Finnish museum and an interview of a technician that wrote that blue was a possible option aside black and another unidentified skin color.
The panels of the engine and weapon bays are dark on the inside, it could be unfaded green, but I guess that a light color would be good on a part of the cockpit that couldn't be seen from above nor create reflections inside the canopy.
From what we have seen, the color of the cockpit was not uniform (green, black) so I guess that grey is possible, but I would go on the only documented option, also because it is not clear why, if grey was the standard inside color, it seems not to have been used on many other parts.
On the photos of the wreck, I don't understand if the grey pavement is really grey, or aluminium that lost all its paint.
Regards
Massimo
B_Realistic

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 09:47:55 AM »

Remco

The cockpit is good. But is it possible to make the pictures bigger?

Michel
KL

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 07:27:32 PM »

Hi Remco<
your floor looks green

Cockpit floor should be A-14 steel gray - this can be clearly seen in the following photo:

Parts of the floor that look gray-green are actually places were yellow primer is seen through the gray paint.
HTH,
KL
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: