Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
1/48 MiG-3 late ''black 12'' build
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 05:21:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/48 MiG-3 late ''black 12'' build  (Read 95893 times)
4bogreen

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 09:38:23 PM »

Hey guys! here are some bigger pictures from my work!
I really like all off you're enthusiasm to help me make some right decisions for the colors. I really like the photo's you posted for me.

I have done some scratch build on the exhaust covers. Also modified the gun collars i.a. to the Aber  gun barrel set. This set don't have the heat resistance collars Undecided

Here is the modified rudder tail. I used the Brengun set for the Allanger kit for the control surface to modify the Trumpeter control surface

The R-82 rockets and rails...

...and the landing gear

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
4bogreen

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 09:41:23 PM »

@ JL,

The bottom off the cockpit is not green. This is a sanded part of the photo etch set from Eduard  Wink

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 07:01:10 AM »

Hi,
Parts of the floor that look gray-green are actually places were yellow primer is seen through the gray paint.
is this information sure, or an interpretation of the photo? It should be possible to contact who saw the original wreck.
Hey guys! here are some bigger pictures from my work!
I really like all off you're enthusiasm to help me make some right decisions for the colors. I really like the photo's you posted for me.
Excellent work, this should improve the kit a lot.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 08:47:09 PM »

Hi,
Parts of the floor that look gray-green are actually places were yellow primer is seen through the gray paint.
is this information sure, or an interpretation of the photo? It should be possible to contact who saw the original wreck.

It's "photo interpretation", but I am sure that I see A-14 steel gray.
Regards,
KL
4bogreen

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 08:20:04 PM »

Hey guys!  Smiley

Progress is slow, but here are some pictures off the cockpit. I have done some serous remodeling off the tubes frame and the floor. The tubes frame was 3mm to short, and have to cut the rear struts out and replaced them with new rods. Also the overall length is longer by adding a 3mm longer piece by gluing it on the existing rod. By looking at the restored Finnish mig-3 in progress, i saw that the floor was placed above and on the tubular frame.

I hope you like it!

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
B_Realistic

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 08:42:37 PM »

Progress is slow but very good. Cheesy
KL

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 10:20:40 PM »

Progress is slow, but here are some pictures off the cockpit. I have done some serous remodeling off the tubes frame and the floor. The tubes frame was 3mm to short, and have to cut the rear struts out and replaced them with new rods. Also the overall length is longer by adding a 3mm longer piece by gluing it on the existing rod. By looking at the restored Finnish mig-3 in progress, i saw that the floor was placed above and on the tubular frame.

Hi Remco,
since your fuselage frame still isn't painted, I have a new suggestion for it's colour:  Mig-3 was made by Zavod 1 in Moscow and it replaced I-153 on production lines in 1940.  Following are photos of I-153 frame, Mig-3 frame was painted with same paint:

The colour is medium green-gray, not dark green-gray.  Frame of the wreck in Moscow Zadorozhnii Museum is the same colour.
HTH,
KL
4bogreen

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 10:57:32 PM »

@B_realistic,
I have to look at it my whole life, so i take it slow and do annything possible to make it as accurate as posssible.
Misschien zie ik je wel bij de eerstvolgende KMK meeting Michel Wink

@KL
I like your paint option for the frame. It looks like light olive green...The dust on it makes it a bit grey...
To bad that there is no damaged or scratcht parts on the frame, to see if there is some red primer underneath its paint. That wood be great from a artistic way of view to make the cockpit a bit damaged by going in and climbing out.

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 07:27:24 AM »

Hi,
The colour is medium green-gray, not dark green-gray.  Frame of the wreck in Moscow Zadorozhnii Museum is the same colour
grey-green (ALG-5?) looks credible, this medium grey-green appears suspiciously common, looks the same of Yak-9U and other in museums; it is the same unconvincingly identified as Ae-9 by Akan.  
 However I see a dark color on this photo.

I think it's green as the outside, or not too different.

Note that the grey-green appears as dark as the outside green in this photo, but I have seen the plane with my own eyes and the outer color was dark. Do we know the exact shade from the restorers?
The color of the struts of an I-15bis, possibly the same of the I-153, appears light on bw photos from Squadron Signal and other monographs. Could it be a joke of the flash, again?
I hope you like it!
Good work on the cockpit, really!
Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:15:56 AM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
4bogreen

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 04:15:35 PM »

Okay, at the moment i have primed the cockpit and is drying now.
Now i come at the difficult moment off deciding what color i have to use... Huh
- cockpit walls- A-14 steel
- frame- ALG-5
- seat- olive green
- floor on the frame- olive green
I only don't know the color for the radio shelf and rear behind the seat...  Huh

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 04:40:41 PM »

Hi,
I'm fairly sure that it is green as the outside.
I am doubtful that they employed A-14 here. In my guess, if one uses this color, he has to use it on the whole cockpit, but it seems not so.
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 05:35:16 PM »

There were always so called subcontractors who delivered components all painted and well to the factory. Even the p-39 had sometimes two different colors in its wheelbays. Simply because boeing used different primer than bell...

Its difficult to a "right" decision here, simply that we don't have REAL color chips and solid reliable info on this... Embarrassed
Its all about interpretation Massimo...

On the bench,
KL

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 07:05:52 PM »

It?s difficult to a "right" decision here, simply that we don't have REAL color chips and solid reliable info on this... Embarrassed
Its all about interpretation Massimo...

Color CHIPS EXIST (at least those from 1948), planes in museums are REAL, paint on them is ORIGINAL, REAL Soviet era paint.  Finally, there is A LOT OF RELIABLE INFO!!!

It's not all about interpretation - we also use period information about paints, production technology, etc.  We also rely on analogies, logic...

Green-gray preserved on Muse de l'Air I-153 frame is not ALG-5.  ALG-5 did not exist in 1939 when this plane was made.

As I mentioned before, plane's internal structure was painted with anticorrosive oil paints of various colours.  Internal colours on preserved REAL planes and wrecks in museums vary between light green-gray, grass green, brown and various shades of gray.  Most likely there wasn't a standard colour for plane's metal structure.

At the same time, cockpit colour was standardized - it was supposed to be steel gray!  Cockpit floor and seat of the Mig-3 wreck preserved at the Zadorozhni Museum are steel gray.  Do you need more evidence?  Back armor of this wreck and many other back armors unearthed in last 10-15 years are consistently darker yellowish green .  Why interpretation if there is a wreck with preserved original colours???

Only the colour of cockpit sides remains uncertain.  Mainly because Massimo refers to people who moved Mig-3 parts at Vesivehmaa museum 20-30 years ago...

HTH,
KL

4bogreen

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 08:12:43 PM »

@ KL,
So if i will do it correctly the whole cockpit will be steel gray including the frame and seat completly?
I have read that the colors off the soviets were changed by 1947 and cataloged in 1948...
The color 4bo green was also changed in 1947, so colorphoto's from the 1950 are not a benchmark for acurate colors from the 1940's. (Don't be mad KL, i have your color knowlege in high degree)

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
KL

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 10:28:49 PM »

So if i will do it correctly the whole cockpit will be steel gray including the frame and seat completly?

No, it will not be gray only - see my previous post.

I have read that the colors off the soviets were changed by 1947 and cataloged in 1948...
The color 4bo green was also changed in 1947, so colorphoto's from the 1950 are not a benchmark for acurate colors from the 1940's.

Where did you read about the change?  I am specially interested in 4BO change - how did it look before and after?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: