Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
1/48 MiG-3 late ''black 12'' build
Sovietwarplanes
April 30, 2024, 03:52:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/48 MiG-3 late ''black 12'' build  (Read 96416 times)
otto

« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2015, 03:57:54 PM »

Welcome back, Remco!
I suggest to avoid solvent on the clear parts. And I don't like using clear varnish on them. I am almost sure that paint can be removed by gently polishing it with a cotton stick or cotton ball soaked with Tamiya Rubbing Compound. See it here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAMIYA-Model-Polishing-Compound-Combo-Set-Coarse-Fine-Finish-87068-87069-87070-/200831646612
Starting with Coarse, then Fine and Finish all the paint, dirt and scratches should be removed. The final touch is cleaning the piece with a goggles-cleaning cloth.
Only if necessary (heavier fogging or scratches on the canopy), you can precede these operations by rubbing it with Alclad Micro Mesh clothes. See them here:
http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/tools/mm/tool_micromesh.shtml
On my MiG-3 I thinned down the canopy in a rough manner with coarse sandpaper, and through this method I polished it back to crystal clear shine. You can see these operations here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/98044098@N04/sets/72157634837916105/
I would suggest to purchase these polishing stuff: their performance, not only on canopies but also on painted surfaces, is amazing!
4bogreen

« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2015, 05:14:23 PM »

Hey guys!

Well, as soon things went bad, i took action instandly. The pollishing of the canopy was a small disaster. I need the things that Otto sugested badly. I cut off the glass part from the base. I thought i had cut it properly, the base part i need broke in three pieces. The glass went of perfect in one piece. Just how i NOT needed it. While cursing for a whole 15 minutes, i was ready to glue the base part thoughetter. After trying to fit this chinese 3D puzzle, i stoped at the eight time. I cot cut off the parts straight and glued a piece of styrene between it. Also a thin piece of styrene was glued on for stability. Now waiting how it dries up and sand it in to place. Then the big challange of making the glass on the base... Did i mentioned that modeling aircraft is cursed by me??

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
otto

« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2015, 08:02:57 PM »

Some say modeling is a relaxing hobby! Lips Sealed
I did not understand exactly what happened to your MiG, but it seems not much different from a disaster I made on a Fokker D.VII wing just after I finished painting lozenge camouflage with airbrush and custom made masks! Cry
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2015, 08:45:51 PM »

Hi Remco,
I suggest to take some time before making risky works on this canopy again.
I wonder if vacuformed canopies for Trumpeter are available on the aftermarket. They would fit better. I haven't seen the windshield of your vacuformed canopy, but the piece of ICM is not the best one of their kit, and I wonder if the vacuformed piece could have the same errors as an heritage.
Regards
Massimo
otto

« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2015, 09:23:09 PM »

Remco, the only aftermarket canopy appears to be Squadron's for ICM MiG-3, matching the kit's piece.
I think that, if you can repair your canopy, no matters if it's not clear anymore, you can use it as a mould for vacuform. You should separate the clear part from the upper fuselage portion, then fill it with Milliput or similar putty and sand off all the frames. The shape is not too complicate and vacuforming should be successful. The clear central "frames", which were glue joints, can be reproduced by masking and spraying clear varnish on them.
As an alternative, you could buy another kit (MiG-3 is worth making more than one!) and make a resin copy of the canopy to be used as a vacuform mould.
4bogreen

« Reply #140 on: January 28, 2015, 11:15:32 PM »

Hmm, i am taking a shot now with the Squadron signal vacuformed windshield designed for the ICM kit. Its a bit shorter and does not have the nice detail. Unfortunally i don't have a vacuform machine. I will have a tripple check when ready. I now glued and filled the base to the plane. Hope i can sand it properly whitout destroying the detail. Alclad paint goes there, so no room for errors... My next plan (plan 3) is indeed to buy a new kit for the windshield. The rest i can use for my MiG-210 project... I have come so far, willing to give up on it twice, now its time to finnish this beautiful plane.

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2015, 12:20:08 PM »

Hi,
I don't think that a kit of MiG-3 without canopy would be useful for a conversion into I-210, because they had the same canopy. Eventually it could give a backup in case of unsatisfactory result of the conversion work.
Eventually, you could employ a kit with ruined windshield to make a diorama where the canopy is covered by a cover, by snow or damaged by enemy fire.
Regards
Massimo
otto

« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2015, 01:41:46 PM »

The MiG-3 windshield, after removing the lower "metallic" part, is rather simple and it should not be necessary a vacuform machine to thermoform it. See the pictures here:
http://mab.forumfree.it/?t=67626889&st=45
I used this system to make a new windshield for my ICM 1/72 I-16.
4bogreen

« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2015, 06:48:24 PM »

Hey,

Well i had a look, and have decided i will buy a new kit. Its no problem. Now i can see with parts i have to inclued from the Zvezda La-5 kit, to build a MiG-I210. Massimo, is the windshield of the I210 the same as the La-5? I think i read it somewere... The canopy and rear window is the same. In the Squadron signal vacuformed canopy are two sets. So i can use the canopy of the second set for the I210.
Windshield is diped in Alclad ALC 600. Almost time for a second shot. Thanks for the info Otto!

Remco

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2015, 09:01:20 PM »

Hi Remco,
the canopy of I-210 is a standard MiG-3 one. Probably you can use the engine cowling and other pieces from a La-5, but not the windshield.
From the photos, I think that the fuselage has to be 'fattened' if compared to a standard MiG-3, in section by sure, and probably in height too.
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2015, 05:18:02 PM »

Hi Massimo,

I had a look at some photo's and youre right. Its indeed the MiG-3 whindshield. 

Working on the new windshied went great. Its almost finished and ready for installment. Its masking time for me. I have to mask all the parts that not have to be aluminium. i wil be so happy when i finnish the basecolor. Then the fun part starts for me. Hope to spray the aluminium tomorrow. I wil post some photo's when the basecolor is done.

regards,

remco

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2015, 06:59:19 PM »

Hi Remco,

I'm happy that your work on the new windshield is going well. Is it from the other Trumpeter kit?
As a conversion for a MiG-3, I-230 looks very attractive, and probably it will give a way to use a MiG-3 without canopy (and to vacuform a new one)
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2015, 11:12:53 PM »

The aluminium is sprayed on... Now i have to put on my beloved Alclad ALC 600 coat on the plane and then the fun part starts. I am so glad the paint went on nicely.

Massimo, i wanted to build actual warbirds. I am not a prototype builder. In tank modeling we also have the socalled "paper panzers" of kits who never leave the drawing boar,  or not came further than a wooden mock up. I personally find it a waist of time and material.  Instead they could make a nice new T-60 light tank, or a MiG-31 or a new Yak 1,7 and 9. Oh well, we see what happens...

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #148 on: February 05, 2015, 07:03:28 AM »

Hi Remco,
I see your preference for operative planes, so we can take into account that 7 I-230s were built, compared to 5 I-210s, and saw a limited operative use with the PVO (if I remember well, with the same unit of Black 12).
I agree about the need of new and better kits of those subjects; I would add that the T-54, although being one of the most built and exported tanks, is heavily badly represented by all the few producers that remembered its existance.
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2015, 12:18:53 PM »

Hi Massimo,

I never thought that the I-230 was active. I have just read some about it. Intresting. Plane looks very nice. Maybe in the future...

I just did some detail painting on it (rear landingwheel and tarp). A small chip has let lose on the propellor. I think i spray it again. Everything is very smooth, and i am happy with it. I gonna make some photo's and post them.

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: