Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
1/48 MiG-3 late ''black 12'' build
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 01:39:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/48 MiG-3 late ''black 12'' build  (Read 95903 times)
otto

« Reply #180 on: April 16, 2015, 11:41:18 AM »

Very good looking MiG, Remco!
I would suggest a wash with thinned dark oil paint in the wheel bays, like you did on the cowling.
The rear flaps on the engine oil coolers are missing: will you install them later?
4bogreen

« Reply #181 on: April 16, 2015, 12:36:10 PM »

Remco,
although I am not confident about so big metal/alluminium areas on the fron fuselage, I must say it looks realy nice! Very nice.
regards,
   66misos

Hi 66misos! I have looked the photo a lot of times, but i think i am quite "on target" with this one. Its not perfect, but i do the best i can. It's my second plane, so i am also new to the weathering techniques and wear and tear from planes. Sometimes i am quite surprised by the results, like weathering results of the nose section and the snowy base for the MiG...

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
4bogreen

« Reply #182 on: April 16, 2015, 12:42:23 PM »

Very good looking MiG, Remco!
I would suggest a wash with thinned dark oil paint in the wheel bays, like you did on the cowling.
The rear flaps on the engine oil coolers are missing: will you install them later?

Thanks Otto! I am going to weather the wheelbase with mig dark wash. I weathered the aluminium also only with the dark wash. Quite happy with the results, it is now my biggest friend  Cheesy The rear flaps of the oil cooler, i will install them Tonight.

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #183 on: April 16, 2015, 12:58:38 PM »

Hi Remco,
beautiful model indeed. I wait to see it on its base.
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #184 on: April 23, 2015, 05:58:47 AM »

Busy with the MiG. The rockets and aerial mast must be fitted and then i am calling it finnished.

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #185 on: April 24, 2015, 08:18:47 AM »

Hi Remco, very good model.
I suggest to add a stripe of sheet over the junction between cowling and spinner. It was introduced more or less at the start of the war, and covers only the upper part of the slot. I think that an adhesive aluminium tape, or even a painted piece of paper, should work.
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #186 on: April 24, 2015, 09:11:37 AM »

Hi Remco, very good model.
I suggest to add a stripe of sheet over the junction between cowling and spinner. It was introduced more or less at the start of the war, and covers only the upper part of the slot. I think that an adhesive aluminium tape, or even a painted piece of paper, should work.
Regards
Massimo

Hey Massimo! Thanks.

Were was this piece exactly located? Do you have photo's? Then i can certainly thy to add it.

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #187 on: April 24, 2015, 01:59:05 PM »

Hi
it's well visible here, over the gap between spinner and cowling.

It can be seen on plane 12, magnifying the photo.

On this plane, it extends on the sides too; the lateral extension changes from plane to plane.
You can find a similar protection on Il-2s too, after the war outbreak.
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #188 on: April 24, 2015, 04:06:42 PM »

Hi Massimo!

I see indeed a small strip. Its a weird "upgrade". Why did they do that? Improved aerodynamics? Balancing the propeller? Was the aluminium plating to much stressed in flight?

The best thing next to aluminium tape, is some Tamiya masking tape i have. Cutting a piece of 1.5 or 2mm, and then put it in to place. Painting it with some Modelmaster aluminium paint. It seems to stop at the bottom cowling. I wil make it tonight and post a photo of the upgrade.

Having quite a few aircraft kits, i have to upgrade my aircraft atheisives. I think i have a look for the aluminium tape....

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #189 on: April 24, 2015, 05:08:43 PM »

Hi Remco,
I suppose that it was to prevent snow from entering into the gap.
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #190 on: April 24, 2015, 08:35:22 PM »

Like this?

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #191 on: April 24, 2015, 09:28:35 PM »

More or less, but it should adhere to the cowling only, leaving a small gap with the spinner. Besides it should be divided as the panels of the cowling.
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #192 on: May 04, 2015, 05:40:18 AM »

Hi guys,

I have made a upgrade on the rocket rails. I was not really sadisfied with the "endproduct". I thought i give it an other shot. I took the rails from the spare parts kit and instead of making new ones with Evergreen, i hollowed them out with a scribing tool. With a razorblade i made a cut in the length of the rails, in the middle. I used a scribing tool to make it hollow. The end of the rails was sanded down and i added the small bolts with my punch and die set. At the back of the rails, i made the aerodynamic fins and the pipes were the rockets are fitted in.

The rockets of Vector were horrible. Lots of fins were broken when i bought it. Fixing them all (almost had a nervous breakdown doing this) and putting them in a small box for more protection (they are bought in ziplock bags) three were broken again... This will be the last time i build RS-82 rockets for sure now.

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
learstang

« Reply #193 on: May 04, 2015, 06:56:00 AM »

That small plate was to keep leaking fluid from the propeller (hydraulic fluid, presumably) from splashing onto the window. It was a problem not just with the Mikulins that the MiG's and Il-2's used (AM-35 and AM-38), but also with the Shevtsov M-82's on the La-5.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #194 on: May 04, 2015, 09:36:03 AM »

Hi Jason,
interesting. Lubrification fluid I suppose.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
  Print  

Jump to: