Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Question on weathering
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:38:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on weathering  (Read 27482 times)
jonbius

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2013, 05:37:24 PM »

Jon, I have one of the Il-2 - maybe I'll do it as a post here, or a separate post - perhaps we could have a separate topic where these colour-coded profiles are added (I can't do it right at the moment - computer problems - I'm using someone else's computer now).

That would be cool, Jason! Thanks!

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2013, 10:03:34 PM »

Good information- thanks everyone!

Is there a chart of the various VVS aircraft that shows what various parts were made up of? That would be helpful to see color-coded profiles.

Jon, I have one of the Il-2 - maybe I'll do it as a post here, or a separate post - perhaps we could have a separate topic where these colour-coded profiles are added (I can't do it right at the moment - computer problems - I'm using someone else's computer now).

Regards,

Jason

This might be of interest:

John
B_Realistic

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2013, 08:39:20 AM »

@John
I know this one. I think it was from a Spanish modeler and it's stunning.
A Hungarian modeler made also a Mig-3 in that style.
learstang

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2013, 06:41:11 PM »

Here are the drawings showing the different covering materials of the Il-2:

Metal-winged arrow:

Wooden-winged arrow:

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2013, 07:32:35 PM »

Hi learstang,

a nice mixture of materials. What paints did they use for camouflage? Nitroceluloze AMT-xx, or oil A-xx or their combination according to the base material (wood or fabric or metal)?

66 misos

learstang

« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2013, 08:13:15 PM »

Probably AMT paints (which would have worked over primed metal), with the earliest Il-2's at the beginning of the war apparently having A-18f and A-19f for the metal parts, and AII Z (Green) and AII sv. gol. (Blue) for the wooden parts.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
jonbius

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2013, 08:19:57 PM »

Most awesome- thanks Jason!

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
learstang

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2013, 08:23:12 PM »

Most awesome- thanks Jason!

You're welcome, Jon - I hope these help!

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2013, 08:46:47 PM »

Hi learstang,

if AMT-xx could be used on metal parts of Il-2 why not on metal P-39?  Huh

66misos

learstang

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2013, 09:01:06 PM »

Hi learstang,

if AMT-xx could be used on metal parts of Il-2 why not on metal P-39?  Huh

66misos

I thought it was, for example, when the stiffening plates were added to the P-39 rear fuselage, and the work was done in the Soviet Union, I thought the area was repainted in AMT-4 Green.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2013, 11:10:45 PM »

Hi all
Probably AMT paints (which would have worked over primed metal), with the earliest Il-2's at the beginning of the war apparently having A-18f and A-19f for the metal parts, and AII Z (Green) and AII sv. gol. (Blue) for the wooden parts.

about Il-2s: I think that it depends on the factory and period. On Z.1, after 1943, the wings and rear fuselage were painted before being assembled to the front of fuselage, and seem to have more contrasting colors. My idea is that wings and rear fuselage and tail were painted with AMT and perhaps masks (they had fabric-skinned parts), while the front of fuselage was painted with oil paints.
The planes of z.30 were painted after being assembled, probably in AMT.
About Z.18, it is not clear.

if AMT-xx could be used on metal parts of Il-2 why not on metal P-39?
Why not? After the primer, probably.

Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2013, 11:15:05 PM »

Hi all

about Il-2s: I think that it depends on the factory and period. On Z.1, after 1943, the wings and rear fuselage were painted before being assembled to the front of fuselage, and seem to have more contrasting colors. My idea is that wings and rear fuselage and tail were painted with AMT and perhaps masks (they had fabric-skinned parts), while the front of fuselage was painted with oil paints.
The planes of z.30 were painted after being assembled, probably in AMT.
About Z.18, it is not clear.

if AMT-xx could be used on metal parts of Il-2 why not on metal P-39?
Why not? After the primer, probably.

Regards
Massimo

Massimo, so you think that's why the AMT-1 on the forward fuselage is darker (I think we've discussed this before)?

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2013, 06:59:43 AM »

Hi Jason,
it's a possibility, but I can't be sure because the implication could be that A-21m is much darker than AMT-1, and this don't agree with the Nakrasok alboom. Another explanation could be that it was sprayed or thinned in different way and appeared darker for trasparence on a darker background. The third one, but looks less likely, is that the brown on the nose was replaced with green and the green with dark grey, but I don't think because the official patterns on wings and rear fuselage were well respected on planes of z.1 and 30. The fact that the brown blotch on the left fuselage side (aside the gunner's position) appears darker can easily be justified by smokes, but the same thing appears on the nose too. I wonder if it is due to the heat of the engine.
Regards
Massimo
nsmekanik

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2013, 03:05:37 PM »

Although it's British I think this shows to good effect darker nose panels, most likely I would think from being rubbed down to get the oil and hand prints off them during maintenance.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2013, 04:52:13 PM »

Hi,
beautiful photo. In this case, I think that the cowling and leading edges are darker because repainted.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: