Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Question on Akan paints
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 12:10:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on Akan paints  (Read 17896 times)
jonbius

« on: March 08, 2013, 01:50:14 PM »

I'm considering purchasing Akan paints for my VVS builds. I normally use Tamiya. Are the Akan acrylics like Tamiya acrylic paint (able to be thinned equally well with alcohol or lacquer thinner) or are they the water-based type acrylics likes Vallejo, Humbrol Acrylics, etc.?

For those who use them, what are your experiences with airbrushing, etc?

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
Apex1701

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 07:34:27 PM »

Hi Jon,

I use AKAN with Tamiya thinner.
I've tried half and half, paint to thinner ratio and it works like Tamiya's.

I clean my airbrush with Windex and finish the cleaning process with lacquer thinner.

All the best.

Jean
Tyronesdaddy

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 07:45:12 PM »

Jon,
I have been using Akan acrylic paints for a while now.  I have not tried thinning them with lacquer thinner, however Tamiya acrylic thinner works great.  IMHO they airbrush very nicely.  Linden Hill Imports is now carrying a lacquer based line of Akan paints in addition to the acrylics.  Here is an example using amt 1, 4, 7, and 12:

Tyronesdaddy

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 07:48:39 PM »

BTW, Jon, are you going to have a table at the region 3 show in Marietta tomorrow?
jonbius

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 11:36:45 PM »

Thank you both for the information! I think I will order some.

BTW, Jon, are you going to have a table at the region 3 show in Marietta tomorrow?

I'm afraid not, though I wish I could! I live in NC so it's a bit of a drive. Did we meet in 2008 when I was there? Let me know how the show goes

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
learstang

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 11:49:59 PM »

Jon,
I have been using Akan acrylic paints for a while now.  I have not tried thinning them with lacquer thinner, however Tamiya acrylic thinner works great.  IMHO they airbrush very nicely.  Linden Hill Imports is now carrying a lacquer based line of Akan paints in addition to the acrylics.  Here is an example using amt 1, 4, 7, and 12:

Nice Shturmovik, TD!  So that's what the AKAN acrylics look like on an Il-2 model.  I don't like acrylics for airbrushing, but I might have to try AKAN's, especially if they're not too hard to thin and clean up.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Tyronesdaddy

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 01:36:36 AM »

Learstang,
Akan lacquer based paints are now available from lindenhillimports.com.  If you try the lacquer paints, let us know how they work.

Jon, we have met several times in atl and anniston.
jonbius

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 03:24:28 AM »

Learstang,
Akan lacquer based paints are now available from lindenhillimports.com.  If you try the lacquer paints, let us know how they work.

Jon, we have met several times in atl and anniston.

I haven't been to Anniston, actually- I bet you met some of the guys who are members of my site. They had a table there representing the site. There are so many guys on the Agape forum from around there, we call them "The Alabama Gang"! Smiley

I really did enjoy the Atlanta show the time I went. Went over to Williams Bros. BBQ afterwards- good stuff!

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
jonbius

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 03:41:38 PM »

Well I gave Akan a try this morning, painting the undersides of a Yak-7V from ICM. Since it was my first time spraying them, I started by first shooting them straight from the bottle. I normally do that to try and get an idea of how much they need to be thinned. After using my trusty badger electric paint stirrer to make sure it was thoroughly mixed, I sprayed on some test shots- and ended up finishing it off! No thinning. I was amazed. It did get a tiny bit of tip dry now and then, but nothing that simply cleaning the needle with my fingernail couldn't solve.

Towards the end I thinned some with 91% alcohol, and it worked great. I'll put on the top colors tonight (hopefully) so I'll try a bit of thinning with Tamiya thinners.

The paint went down very smooth, and looked great.

So far I am thoroughly impressed!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:50:41 PM by jonbius » Logged

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Seawinder

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 05:46:36 PM »

Learstang,
Akan lacquer based paints are now available from lindenhillimports.com.  If you try the lacquer paints, let us know how they work.

I bought one of the Akan acrylic lacquer sets and plan to use at least the AMT-7 on a Yak-1 project. The new paints smell something like Mr. Color, and they appear to behave very well. In a hair-brush comparison with the Akan water based acrylics, the new paints went on smoother and more evenly, so I'm anticipating they'll airbrush very well, probably with a bit of Mr. Color leveling thinner. I'll post more once I've done the deed. I only wish one could buy the colors individually since the two available sets are over $20 each.

Pip
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 07:52:30 PM »

Hi,
I use AKAN acrylics for all my VVS planes. To thin them I tried both Tamiya X-20A acrylics and Lacquer thinner. Better results with the second one. Plus Tamiya acrylics Paint Retarder. Same thinner and watter for cleaning airbrush.

66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 11:00:50 AM »

Hi all,
where could I find an Akan catalogue with chips commented in English (including colors other than Russian)? I have difficulty in moving in the site of Akan.
Regards
Massimo
jonbius

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 11:30:12 AM »

It doesn't have color chips, but you may be able to use Linden Hill's website as a cross reference:

http://www.lindenhillimports.com/akanrussia+ussr.htm

Also, do you use Google Chrome? it will automatically translate pages to your language. it's not a perfect translation, but it's usually enough to get by.

HTH.

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 12:57:28 PM »

Thank you Jon,
there are some things onRussian andGerman paints, but I would need a complete catalogue.
I make use already of the translator of Chrome, but I don't find the pages with the lists of colors on the site of Akan.
Regards
Massimo
jonbius

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 12:59:47 PM »

Here are the acrylics:
http://akanshop.ru/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=87&Itemid=2

HTH!

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: