Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
1/48 ICM LaGG-3 Series 1-4- COMPLETE
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 01:46:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/48 ICM LaGG-3 Series 1-4- COMPLETE  (Read 31232 times)
jonbius

« on: March 12, 2013, 02:31:08 AM »

This is my ICM LaGG-3, just finished with the decals. I should have sourced some aftermarket decals... these ICM decals were just awful. Next up will be some more weathering, and the fiddly bits, and a flat coat!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 01:03:40 AM by jonbius » Logged

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
learstang

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 04:14:53 AM »

Leonid Galchenko's aeroplane!  Very nice - I have one in 1/72nd scale that's almost finished.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 07:36:27 AM »

Looks very nice! I am very interested to see it completed.
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 08:07:28 AM »

Good work John! You go! Cheesy
I have also the ICM kit, but my molding is not so good. The frame by the rear window is not, eh, there... Sad
I have not decided witch variant of Galchenko's plane i wil make.
The decals are bad with this kit. They seem to fall a part... I have AML decals ''red devils with rockets part 1''. All Galchenko's variants are on it.

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
jonbius

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 10:58:52 AM »

Thanks everyone!

And thanks for the tip on those decals, Remco... I'll have to find that set for future builds.

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
B_Realistic

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 11:06:48 AM »

I like that alot. Cheesy
So you use XF-81 from Tamiya for the green?
A very good representation for the black is Nato Black from Tamiya which I always use.
jonbius

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 11:19:24 AM »

I like that alot. Cheesy
So you use XF-81 from Tamiya for the green?
A very good representation for the black is Nato Black from Tamiya which I always use.

That's just propping the model up! Cheesy Actually, I used XF-58 Olive Green and XF-69 Nato Black. The lighter green was a mix of the olive green and yellow until it was to TLAR standard. (That Looks About Right!  Grin)

It looks dark now because of the gloss coat. When I apply a matt coat later it will look different.

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
KL

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »

... I used XF-58 Olive Green and XF-69 Nato Black. The lighter green was a mix of the olive green and yellow until it was to TLAR standard. (That Looks About Right!  Grin)

Model looks nice in this complex 4-colour scheme (dark green-light green-black+white), but it's quite unlikely that all four colours appeared on the real plane.
Why two greens, dark and light?  What would be the purpose of two similar colours? What paints were used on the real plane?

It may look as a dogma, but officially:
1.  From 1941 to 1943 there was only one camouflage scheme:  black - green
2.  From 1941 to 1945 there was only one green camouflage colour:  4BO
jonbius

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 05:56:49 PM »

... I used XF-58 Olive Green and XF-69 Nato Black. The lighter green was a mix of the olive green and yellow until it was to TLAR standard. (That Looks About Right!  Grin)

Model looks nice in this complex 4-colour scheme (dark green-light green-black+white), but it's quite unlikely that all four colours appeared on the real plane.
Why two greens, dark and light?  What would be the purpose of two similar colours? What paints were used on the real plane?

It may look as a dogma, but officially:
1.  From 1941 to 1943 there was only one camouflage scheme:  black - green
2.  From 1941 to 1945 there was only one green camouflage colour:  4BO

Hey KL,

Thanks for the kind words! Smiley

To be honest, I'm not very particular about being 100% accurate. If I find some good photos or drawings, I will try to make it look like that, but I don't really try to duplicate the real thing completely. I'm not a good enough modeler to do that! LOL

In this case, I found several differing color profiles, as well as some photos. The photos were, of course, black and white, but they did give me some clues to the tail pattern and how the white was applied. I actually found the profiles on this site (see below) and thought they looked nice, so I tried to get a look similar to those.

For me, modeling is strictly a hobby, and my motto is "build it like a kid". Smiley I figure at my age, I have enough problems with diabetes, kids in college, bill payments, etc., to worry about my models. I do enjoy the research, and I love learning new things, but often I just go with what I think looks kind of nice. Smiley

But I'm always willing to learn new information and apply it to the next build. I build 25-30 kits a year, so I get lots of chances to apply what I learn over time!

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
B_Realistic

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 09:11:21 AM »

@Jonbius
You build 35 models a year? Shocked
And with that finesse? Shocked
Then I only had to build 2 years and my stash was gone. Cheesy
jonbius

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 10:27:10 AM »

@Jonbius
You build 35 models a year? Shocked
And with that finesse? Shocked
Then I only had to build 2 years and my stash was gone. Cheesy

25-30, yes. Smiley I like to build. LOL I got back in to the hobby in 2006, and since that time I've completed 151 models, 53 of which have been Spitfires! (Can you guess what my favorite airplane is? Wink ) The last few years I've built quite a lot. I build almost entirely OOB, and with whatever paints are on-hand, and I do have a fun time with it.

And thank you for your kind words!

By the way, I just ordered some Akan paints, so I'll see how those work out. I'm looking forward to trying them.

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 11:17:47 AM »

Hi Jon,
so you have a lot of models to photograph. I would like to see some of them.
Regards
Massimo
jonbius

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 11:27:25 AM »

Hi Jon,
so you have a lot of models to photograph. I would like to see some of them.
Regards
Massimo

Sure! I'd be honored. I upload most photos I take to Picasa. Some aren't modeling photos, but most are. I think I have 90% of my builds uploaded there.

http://www.picasaweb.com/jonbius

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 04:00:26 PM »

Whow, I'm impressed. All the models are very well built and painted. To make such models in two weeks each is a great result. You will need a museum to store all them.
Regards
Massimo
jonbius

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 04:06:57 PM »

Whow, I'm impressed. All the models are very well built and painted. To make such models in two weeks each is a great result. You will need a museum to store all them.
Regards
Massimo

Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words!  Cheesy

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: