Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
1/48 ICM LaGG-3 Series 1-4- COMPLETE
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:09:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/48 ICM LaGG-3 Series 1-4- COMPLETE  (Read 31218 times)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 06:47:24 PM »

This is my ICM LaGG-3, just finished with the decals. I should have sourced some aftermarket decals... these ICM decals were just awful.

Looking good! Yeah, ICM decals aren't great - next time, get yourself some Microscale Liquid Decal Film and give them one or even two coats of that before you cut them out and soak them.

John
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 07:47:52 PM by John Thompson » Logged
jonbius

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 07:30:18 PM »

Thanks John! I'll keep that in mind, though I will probably try to source some aftermarket decals anyway!

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 07:52:42 PM »

Thanks John! I'll keep that in mind, though I will probably try to source some aftermarket decals anyway!

You're welcome! Under the circumstances (you finish lots of models, I finish almost none), I'm embarrassed to offer advice, but there are aftermarket decals out there which aren't any more durable than the ICM kit decals, so the Liquid Decal Film could still be useful.

John
B_Realistic

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 08:16:36 PM »

There are some great models you've made. It's when using aftermarket sets that it will slow down the build.
But even OOTB 35 models a year is stunning. Shocked
jonbius

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 11:38:57 PM »

There are some great models you've made. It's when using aftermarket sets that it will slow down the build.
But even OOTB 35 models a year is stunning. Shocked

Thanks for the kind words! I do tend to stay away from aftermarket, both for the time savings and the cost. Though if I find good resin parts that are one-for-one replacements, I may use them if they're affordable.

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
4bogreen

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 09:42:10 PM »

Haha! I know exactly what you mean, when you talk about aftermarket sets. I have a Sukhoi Su-33 convertion kit for the Academy
Su-27... That wil be a time consuming project  Roll Eyes. Currently i am busy to paint the cockpit of my MiG. Keep up the good work here!

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
jonbius

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 01:02:43 AM »

She's done. Good kit. Get aftermarket decals though if you decide to build it. The ICM kit decals are beyond horrible.

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
4bogreen

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 07:03:02 AM »

Hey John!
Your LaGG looks great! Nice job  Cheesy
The ICM decals are horrible, i read a lot of bad things about it...

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 08:41:33 AM »

Hi Jon,
beautiful model indeed. The weathering is well convincing too.
you write that the ICM decals are horrible... because they break while positioning them? Maybe you could make them stronger them with a bit of Future on the sheet...
Regards
Massimo
B_Realistic

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 08:49:04 AM »

Astonishing model. Shocked
You did the weathering perfect.
And how fast. Shocked
jonbius

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 02:35:19 PM »

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Good idea, Massimo. I'll know to do so in the future (pun intended Smiley ) if I use ICM decals again. I actually did use it as a surface prep, putting a small "puddle" of it on the model, and then using a cotton bud to force out the excess. It really pulled the decal down and held it in place, and I haven't had any silvering, thankfully.

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 03:24:15 PM »

Wow - nothing much I can add to what's already been said - beautiful model and great weathering job! A fine tribute to the pilot, L. Galchenko.

John
learstang

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 04:44:28 PM »

I'll add to the consensus, Jon, beautiful model and excellent job on the weathering!  Regarding decals breaking apart, to forestall that I spray a clearcoat on them before I use just about any decals, just as a precaution.  I use Testors Model Masters Sealer for Metalizer but I suspect Future would work as well.  It seems to work - Authentic Decals have a nice set of Il-2 two-seater decals, but they are fragile.  I used the sealer on them and now they work fine.

Regards,

Jason 

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
KL

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 05:39:27 PM »

Overall a nice model:  4 stars (out of 5)

Plus:
-  Realistic weathering/aging/dirt + grime (great job!)

Minuses:
-  Fictional green/dark green camouflage scheme
-  There should have been more white on wings (those two bands are not convincing)
-  Missing spinner red star

Keep on with good job!
Cheers,
KL
jonbius

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 06:15:38 PM »

Thanks everyone!

-  Missing spinner red star

Doh! I knew I forgot something! I do have that decal!

Oh well, so it's 99% finished. Smiley

KL, did you mean the two white bands aren't convincing in their color, or their pattern? I tried to follow Massimo's pattern for that, though I did find some speculative pattern's another model builder used in a similar build. However, he admitted it was speculation on his part. I also tried to imagine how it would have looked if it had started to wear off a bit, so I tried to simulate that.

I did find some photos that clarified the pattern on the tail. I actually considered doing a similar pattern on the wings, but thought that perhaps Massimo's pattern was based on photos I didn't find. (So it's your fault Massimo!  Tongue Grin Cheesy)

If you have photos of the pattern on the wing please do share!  Smiley I try to collect as many photos as I can! (Thanks for posting the one of the spinner.... its is duly saved to my hard drive.)

I had a lot of fun on the weathering, that is for sure. I was very happy with how it turned out. Thanks again everyone for the kind remarks. I plan to do another of these this year!

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: