Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
An-26 1:72
Sovietwarplanes
April 19, 2024, 01:04:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: An-26 1:72  (Read 44714 times)
asekular

« on: March 13, 2013, 09:15:47 PM »

Greetings all,

this is me testing out my image posting ability for the start. Let's see if this works...

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y474/asekular1/64-ka_zpsa6d6ab00.jpg

If I just do what everybody else did, I'd be contributing to the sameness of everythin -C. Beefheart
asekular

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 09:27:23 PM »

...not really.  The link works, but I want an image in my post.

See John, there's always someone worse then yourself. It's a comforting thought to have.

Ok, I'm trying again...

[/img]

If I just do what everybody else did, I'd be contributing to the sameness of everythin -C. Beefheart
asekular

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:33:36 PM »

This is embracing! I will become a hero member before I post my first image.

Third is the charm...

asekular

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 10:01:22 PM »

Indeed! They found the new Pope and I learned how to post an image. Not bad for one evening...

Anyhow this is the intended subject of my modeling project: 71364, An-26 who survived fission of Yugoslavia into Serbia & Montenegro into Serbia, several local wars, NATO bombing and general abuse from its crew and still flies now re-hauled and repainted. I will however make it how it appeared in this turbulent transitional period, with an old camouflage and new markings, covering the old red star roundels. Some long time ago I served on the airport where this Antonov was stationed and my best mate was a mechanic on this very machine. So yes, there's some history and character to it, at least for me.

In the following posts I'll try to entertain you with an A Model kit and a lot of Tamiya putty...

Cheers,
Aleks

KL

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 10:46:35 PM »

...Some long time ago I served on the airport where this Antonov was stationed and my best mate was a mechanic on this very machine. So yes, there's some history and character to it, at least for me.

Yes, extremelly entertaining!!! Lots of history and character, that plane must be well over 35...
Good luck with your build.  Smiley

Cheers,
KL
asekular

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 10:08:27 AM »

Thakns KL,

Yugoslavia received these machines in 1975-76, so you are right about the age. The 64 above flew to Rostov in the winter of 2008-2009 to be re-hauled, giving her 6 more years of service (maybe more in real life).

I?ll upload some workbench images this evening finally. In the meantime few comments about the kit:

A Model?s An-26 family is quite nice, accurate and with very restrained and realistic surface detail.

Shame that it?s cast in that шиᴛᴛи white plastic that obscures it all from your eyes. It is hard to photograph and even harder to work with. The molds are also nothing to write home about; sinkholes, lots of flash, soft edges and orange-peel here and there. Heavy gauge sprue-gates as well.

Never the less, kudos to A Model for producing it. Subject appeal and accurate look is worth much more in my book than injection pressure. A Model also improved over the years significantly and some of their newer castings look very good (Mi-10 for example). I wish they?d grace us with a new-tool Tu-22 already. Trumpeter apparently got cold feet after release of the M2/M3 and the old ESCI is ridiculous. Anyhow, I digress?

To begin work on the kit one has to arm him(her?)self with a solid pair of sprue-cutters, range of sanding sticks and a lot of patience. Dry-fit will be the mantra of the day. There are no location pins anywhere and that?s just fine with me. I can at least lay all the big pieces sunny-side-up on the sheet of 400 grit and level them to perfection.

OK, enough of talk, hold fast till I ready the pictures.

Cheers,
Aleks

asekular

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 06:13:54 PM »

as promised, the work begins...

The blister on the real plane is actually spherical, covering just the circular orifice (check the image below) - a teardrop extension improves aerodynamics but is a separate piece. I will build mine just the same. The pig is optional.

After trimming the kit part I will fill it with epoxy putty for stability and use it to vacumm-form the new fairing.

The fuselage is divided in front and rear part. Common wisdom would have you joining them first, before welding port and starboard together. I decided otherwise and first started work on relatively complex loading gate and tail assembly. An odd parts breakdown here, yet when cleaned, dry-fitted and adjusted it goes together well.

You can start to see traces of gray putty. Get used to it; there's going to be much more...

learstang

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 06:32:19 PM »

Good start, Aleks!  I've always wanted to do one of the An-26 family - an interesting-looking aeroplane with a tremendous variety of schemes and markings.  As far as fit problems, as a long-time VVS modeller I'm used to that.  As long as the kit is accurate, that's what I'm interested in.  I'm always amused reading posts on other sites where the modellers moan and complain about every fit problem.  Wimps!  That's what modelling's all about.  If it were easy, everyone would do it!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
KL

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 07:02:14 PM »

The blister on the real plane is actually spherical, covering just the circular orifice (check the image below) - a teardrop extension improves aerodynamics but is a separate piece. I will build mine just the same. The pig is optional.

funny piglet...
Wasn't there a bombsight on real JRV planes?
asekular

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 08:54:11 PM »

funny piglet...
I see the navigator is not your friend...
Wasn't there a bombsight on real JRV planes?
Yes there was. It looks like this (again not a JRV one, but just the same)

The NKPB-7 sight, tried and true since the GPW days. In one of the forums someone asked what is this used for on an An-26. Then someone else posted the image below and answered: "well to hold your sunglasses of course!"

Cheers,
Aleks

B_Realistic

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 09:29:12 AM »

Good start.
asekular

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 10:24:22 PM »

Greetings all,

Well the things are moving along...

In the cockpit I mostly left the things as they were, with only minor improvements to the seats and some spare decals to complement the less-than-exciting ones from the kit. Once the kit is assembled I don't expect much to be visible through the small windshield windows. Perhaps some light will enter through the navigators blister, but this will also be very limited. So i just want the office to look appropriately busy, not 100% authentic.

I decided to model the Antonov with the loading ramp closed. This means I don't have to worry about detailing the cargo bay, but on the other side I need to balance the model to make it stand on all three wheels. The kit is a heavy tail-sitter! After cleaning all the major parts I tapped them together and then added some lead weights to the nose to asses how much is needed. The trick is to add just enough, but not too much, as the model will then become too heavy for the landing gear.

In the end a combination of fishing lead and ball bearings (fixed in an epoxy bath) provided enough nose ballast.

So much for now.

Cheers,
Aleks

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 10:46:22 PM »

Hi Aleks,
this Antonov is really a beautiful plane. It somewhat resembles to the Fokker 27.  The work on your model is very clean.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 12:20:58 AM »

Nice work on the cockpit, Aleks!  It certainly looks good enough to me.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
KL

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 05:25:11 PM »

Interesting - "pistachio green" interior...   Shocked Huh
I guess it's authentic since you remember the plane.  Was this the original Soviet colour, or maybe Yugoslav?  An-26s were overhauled in Yugoslavia during 1980es and 1990es.

I decided to model the Antonov with the loading ramp closed. This means I don't have to worry about detailing the cargo bay

this is too bad; IMHO, the plane would look better...  I think the cargo bay was gray correct, or my memory fails?

Cheers,
KL
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: