Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
White 36, 401 IAP
Sovietwarplanes
April 20, 2024, 01:45:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: White 36, 401 IAP  (Read 14763 times)
B_Realistic

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 11:26:48 AM »

Nice. Cheesy
Prints Fireball Modelworks every decals you prefer?

Absolutely. Fireball is Joseph Osborn, who lives in Florida. I'm always happy to recommend him. He does really nice work with his ALPS printer, and his rates are very reasonable. $5.00 including postage for the "36" sheet. I do the designs in Illustrator or InDesign, translate them to EPS format, and email them directly to him.

http://www.fireballmodels.info/
Contact and other information is at the page.
Pip

Thanks.
Put that one in my favourites. Cheesy
That's not expensive. Cheesy
Seawinder

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 01:29:35 AM »

Since I last posted, the decals arrived from Fireball Modelworks. As usual, they went down beautifully. Here she is as of this evening. Incidentally, after looking at a bunch of photos at Massimo's MiG section, I've concluded that what looks like a black area sweeping down to the wing trailing edge root is actually an optical illusion caused by exhaust streaking that's lighter than the green. I attempted to replicate that effect. Pip

[picture deleted]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 05:44:02 PM by Seawinder » Logged
jonbius

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 02:12:05 AM »

Very nice work! You've done an excellent job on that one.

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
learstang

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 03:25:09 AM »

Looks very nice, Pip!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
B_Realistic

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 08:31:47 AM »

Very nice.  Cheesy
And thanks to you I've discovered Fireball Modelworks. Cheesy
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 09:40:11 AM »

Hi Seawinder,
very nice work so far. Decals looks very good, I have to chceck their web page. Thanks for link  Wink
However, are you sure with main wheel discs painted light blue instead of dark green?

regards,
     66misos

warhawk

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 10:44:14 AM »

Those decals almost look handpainted...
Marvelous!
Seawinder

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 05:24:03 PM »

Thanks for the comments, folks. I appreciate them.

66misos: No, I'm not sure about the color of the wheel hubs. I based that decision on the walkaround photos of the plane restored by Aviarestoration. I also followed their example for cockpit colors, right or wrong. Period photographs are rather inconclusive since the visible hubs are always in shadow. However, in the photo of White 36 (taken from the video), there seems to be just a splash of a lighter color visible; and the in-air photo of White 19 (also 401 IAP) in the early-war solid color section, it looks as if the hubs are a lighter color. However, if there's solid evidence for green as the standard hub color, I could change it without too much difficulty.

warhawk: In a sense the 36 was hand drawn since I duplicated Massimo's profile in Illustrator. Incidentally, I ended up with an extra set of those decals, so if anybody is wanting to do White 36, I'll be happy to mail them to you.

I'll post some pics of the finished model. Should I do that here or in the General Modeling section? I've got to wait for delivery of another copy of the kit -- I managed to lose the leading edge landing light lens inside the wing (DOH!).

Pip
Seawinder

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 08:57:03 PM »

Okay, I repainted the wheel hubs green based on Misos's comment and Massimo's post to another MiG thread. I also repainted the seat bottom aluminum based on KL's post to the same thread. The cockpit interior will remain light blue. If/when I do another MiG-3, I'll use A-14. The whole cockpit color issue hasn't been resolved to my satisfaction anyway, so I don't think it's 100% that I got it wrong.

I'm also wondering about the two circular ports on the outboard section of each wing. They're clearly metal, so should they be painted A-19 even though they're surrounded by AII Green?

Pip
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:59:23 PM by Seawinder » Logged
KL

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 11:12:40 PM »

I also repainted the seat bottom aluminum based on KL's post to the same thread. The cockpit interior will remain light blue. If/when I do another MiG-3, I'll use A-14. The whole cockpit color issue hasn't been resolved to my satisfaction anyway, so I don't think it's 100% that I got it wrong.

I'm also wondering about the two circular ports on the outboard section of each wing. They're clearly metal, so should they be painted A-19 even though they're surrounded by AII Green?

Where did I say the seat was painted alluminium?  Huh
Seat was made of duralluminium;  duralluminium was always painted with oil paints to prevent corrosion.  A-14 steel gray was standard cockpit paint so the sat was painted gray (confirmed on wreck in Zadorozhni Museum).
Seawinder

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 11:18:34 PM »

I also repainted the seat bottom aluminum based on KL's post to the same thread. The cockpit interior will remain light blue. If/when I do another MiG-3, I'll use A-14. The whole cockpit color issue hasn't been resolved to my satisfaction anyway, so I don't think it's 100% that I got it wrong.

Where did I say the seat was painted alluminium?  Huh
Seat was made of duralluminium;  duralluminium was always painted with oil paints to prevent corrosion.  A-14 steel gray was standard cockpit paint so the sat was painted gray (confirmed on wreck in Zadorozhni Museum).

Oops! Guess I read that post too hastily. Oh well, I'll just repaint it.     Wink
Pip
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 06:21:25 AM »

Hi Pip,
I have doubts on the light look of the stains. The movie seem to show greyish smoke, with a dark shadow under it that could be... simply a shadow. I would go with a dark shade for the stain traces.
Regards
Massimo
Seawinder

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2013, 04:28:29 PM »

Hi Pip,
I have doubts on the light look of the stains. The movie seem to show greyish smoke, with a dark shadow under it that could be... simply a shadow. I would go with a dark shade for the stain traces.
Regards
Massimo

Hi Massimo.
Actually, the stains were done with 36118 Gunship Gray, which is pretty dark. Here's another photo of the model in black-and-white. I think it replicates the effect that can easily be interpreted as a black nose and down-sweeping extension:

[picture deleted]

However, I'll go back and look through the photos in your gallery again.

Best,
Pip
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 05:43:34 PM by Seawinder » Logged
Seawinder

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 07:35:17 PM »

Hi Massimo.
Check the photograph of 46 and 44:
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/silver46.html

That's the effect I was after. However, on looking at all the photos in the gallery, I think I probably overdid it somewhat, so I may well wipe it off and try again, being more subtle.

Pip
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: