Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
yak-9, pilot N.F. Kizim, Bulgaria
Sovietwarplanes
April 27, 2024, 09:09:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: yak-9, pilot N.F. Kizim, Bulgaria  (Read 5223 times)
Troy Smith

« on: March 15, 2013, 02:45:36 AM »

Hi All

Just found this pic on an image search, here http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aircraft-pictures/soviet-air-force-vvs-32504-3.html

the page is unremarkable, but this pic caught my eye. Quite possibly old news here, but just in case...

pic link says Yak-9, pilot N.F. Kizim, Bulgaria

Interesting looking Yak.   

Anyone know anymore about this, like what the inscription/badge on nose are, or the interesting looking 5 pointed marking next to the commoner Guards and Red Banner badges
[I think, it's late,I'm not going to look them up, whatever they  are, I've seen them on lots of planes]

Hope of interest

T
KL

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 06:51:09 PM »

Same photo, better copy at http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?180530-Workers%92%96Peasants%92-Red-Army-(RKKA)-1918-1946/page24

Profile from 'Yakovlev Yak-9U&P' book by Robert Panek

The plane belonged to the elite 151 giap.  Inscription on nose reads "Venskiy" and means "Viennese" because regiments full name was 151-й гвардейский истребительный авиационный Венский Краснознаменный ордена Богдана Хмельницкого полк (151st Guards, Viennese, of the Order of the Red Banner, of the Order of Bogdan Hmelnitski Fighter Aviation Regiment).

Pilot standing on the wing is Kizim, but according to D. Karlenko who interviewed him, in Kizim's own words this wasn't his plane.

Internet sources usually locate this photo to Yambol airfield in Bulgaria.  This is unlikely, 151 giap fought over Romania, Hungary, Czechoslovakia and Austria.  Photo was obviously made after the war somewhere in Central Europe.

Finally, note the silver border around the red star! This is an excellent example for white fuselage number and silver bordered red star.

Cheers,
KL

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 11:03:57 PM by KL » Logged
Troy Smith

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 03:28:08 AM »

HI Konstantin

thanks for all the info

I was chastened to find when looking at my decal box to see that this is an option on Aeromaster - Falcons of the Red Star part 1 decals sheet [48-505] though 'errormaster' have white outlined stars and no mention on the sheet that you would have to convert the base kit...

cheers
T
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: