Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
South Front Yak-1
Sovietwarplanes
April 29, 2024, 08:49:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: South Front Yak-1  (Read 27124 times)
Seawinder

« on: March 22, 2013, 03:25:42 AM »

I acquired one of these a few months ago and am considering it for a build in the near future. Closer inspection of the parts unfortunatly reveals sink marks on the fuselage sides corresponding to the internal framework. Most of the sink marks are in the area with the representation of the stretched fabric. Has anybody dealt with this issue yet? I have a feeling it will show under paint if left as is, but filling/sanding is going to damage some of the fabric effect.

Pip
learstang

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 04:35:16 AM »

Pip, would you post a picture so we can see (I don't have this particular kit)?

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 02:36:39 PM »

I acquired one of these a few months ago and am considering it for a build in the near future. Closer inspection of the parts unfortunatly reveals sink marks on the fuselage sides corresponding to the internal framework. Most of the sink marks are in the area with the representation of the stretched fabric. Has anybody dealt with this issue yet? I have a feeling it will show under paint if left as is, but filling/sanding is going to damage some of the fabric effect.

Pip

Two possibilities:
(1) Apply coats of Mr Surfacer until you're satisfied you've built up enough to fill in the sunken area, then rub it down smooth with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol applied with a cotton swab. Nail polish remover usually works too, although it depends on the formula - some may attack the plastic, which the rubbing alcohol won't.
(2) Build up several layers of Future, then rub down with Windex or a similar ammonia-bearing window cleaner. I've done this before, to fill in excessive rib detail on control surfaces; the dried Future resists most paints (especially acrylics)  with no problem, but you might want to experiment first.

John
Seawinder

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 04:31:41 PM »

Pip, would you post a picture so we can see (I don't have this particular kit)?

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason.
Here are two shots of the problem area. The sink marks are quite subtle, and the plastic is white, so it was hard to get them to show clearly, but they're there! You can make out the most forward two in the unmarked version, and all four are marked in blue in the second version.

Pip
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 05:13:13 PM by Seawinder » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 07:29:31 PM »

Hi Pip, I would go with a small amount of putty put with a thin spatula whose edge is parallel to the struts. Then you can work with a curved blade in each single recess between the struts. Then sand carefully parallel to the struts in each single recess.
Regards
Massimo
Seawinder

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 07:38:31 PM »

Hi Pip, I would go with a small amount of putty put with a thin spatula whose edge is parallel to the struts. Then you can work with a curved blade in each single recess between the struts. Then sand carefully parallel to the struts in each single recess.
Regards
Massimo

Yes, I think it's do-able with care. It won't take very much filler -- the marks are very slight.
Pip
4bogreen

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 08:24:59 PM »

[/quote]

Two possibilities:
(1) Apply coats of Mr Surfacer until you're satisfied you've built up enough to fill in the sunken area, then rub it down smooth with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol applied with a cotton swab. Nail polish remover usually works too, although it depends on the formula - some may attack the plastic, which the rubbing alcohol won't.
(2) Build up several layers of Future, then rub down with Windex or a similar ammonia-bearing window cleaner. I've done this before, to fill in excessive rib detail on control surfaces; the dried Future resists most paints (especially acrylics)  with no problem, but you might want to experiment first.

John
[/quote]

I would go for option one. Add the Mr Surfacer, then sand the greater part with a glass fiber pen and then rub it down with the isopropyl alcohol. My Modelsvit yak has the same problem  Roll Eyes

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
Seawinder

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 08:28:07 PM »

I would go for option one. Add the Mr Surfacer, then sand the greater part with a glass fiber pen and then rub it down with the isopropyl alcohol. My Modelsvit yak has the same problem  Roll Eyes

Not surprising since it's the same mold. Thanks for the suggestion, but what is a glass fiber pen? Never come across one of those before.
Pip
4bogreen

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 02:58:05 PM »

This is a glass fiber pen. I use it for sanding PE or difficult area's

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
Seawinder

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 09:06:40 PM »

I'm finding myself with more questions:

1. Some of the kit profiles seem to show under-wing stars with black outlines, and such stars are provided, but the instructions only call for stars without outlines. Is it likely that different styles were used for upper and lower surfaces on the same plane?

2. Of the 13 markings options for 2nd production series planes (with the small, half-round windows behind the cockpit), only 5 are shown with radio masts. Were they really so seldom found on machines in 1942?

Pip
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 10:57:15 PM »

Hi Pip,
I have had a look to photos in my archive, and the most part of early Yak-1s is really without mast and black outlines. If you post a scan of the sheet, we can try to find the relative photos.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 12:54:53 AM »

1. Some of the kit profiles seem to show under-wing stars with black outlines, and such stars are provided, but the instructions only call for stars without outlines. Is it likely that different styles were used for upper and lower surfaces on the same plane?

I think I wrote something like this few days ago  Huh  Roll Eyes:

Stars with black outlines were standard from May 1940 to June 1941.  Black outline was supposed to disappear from stars in summer 1941.
Yak-1s camouflaged in black+green in factory didn't have black outlined stars.

HTH,
KL
Seawinder

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 03:10:01 AM »

I think I wrote something like this few days ago  Huh  Roll Eyes:

Stars with black outlines were standard from May 1940 to June 1941.  Black outline was supposed to disappear from stars in summer 1941.
Yak-1s camouflaged in black+green in factory didn't have black outlined stars.

HTH,
KL

So very sorry to make life difficult for you. It's just that the South Front kit seems to be fairly well researched. None of the profiles show black outlined stars for the upper fuselage; some of them appear to show black outlines for the stars under the wings, although none of the directions call for outlined stars anywhere. At the same time, outlined stars are provided in two sizes on the decal sheet. I was mainly trying to make sense of that somewhat confusing situation.

Pip
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 03:06:32 PM by Seawinder » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 07:18:32 AM »

Eventually, there are more photos of Yak-7 with black outlines. This could depend on the factory, however it's safer not to use them if it's not demonstrated by a photo.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »

Eventually, there are more photos of Yak-7 with black outlines. This could depend on the factory, however it's safer not to use them if it's not demonstrated by a photo.

The question was specific: Yak-1 only.  Yak-7 was obviously defferent.

Star with black border was an official form of VVS markings.  Black border wasn't an addition to impove contrast.  Two types of stars on one plane would be an exeption.
Enlarged stars were also required by one 1941 order.  Some orders were not specific, so different interpretations were common.
KL
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 04:53:03 PM by KL » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: