Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
ICM 1/48 Yak-V- COMPLETED
Sovietwarplanes
April 29, 2024, 08:00:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: ICM 1/48 Yak-V- COMPLETED  (Read 12696 times)
KL

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 08:14:13 PM »

Scale modeling is probably both art and science. I understand and appreciate that artistic side of modeling ? I understand your need to add a personal touch, to exercise and show your craftsmanship.  I have always pointed to ?artistic license? when weathering, aging, wear and tear etc were mentioned.

But, in scale modeling authenticity has a priority over the ?artistic license?.  You cannot go against the evidence and known facts.

When a modeler shows his models to other modelers, he is also showing how much he knows about the original plane.  Other modelers will notice inaccuracies - wrong shapes, wrong colours, wrong markings etc.

IMHO, research about the original plane could be as satisfying as model building.  We have mentioned here before that the really great models are those that represent planes with a story.  It doesn?t have to be an ace?s plane; it is enough if you identify a unit, pilots, events? This will help to figure how old was your plane when photographed and how much weathering is appropriate.

Personally, I don?t like generic planes and I am especially against guesswork and generalizations.  Following is an example for guesswork:

Ok there are some pictures where people try to clean there aircraft and it looks neat. But consider the fact that there where thousands of aircraft. Do you think that they kept there aircraft as clean as possible? Even when aircraft where used daily?

I am not saying that all planes were clean all the time.  I am trying to say that you need some evidence if your model shows extensive weathering, aging or battle damage.

HTH,
KL
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 08:26:58 AM »

This looks an invite to people to not show photos of their models. A plane can be clean a day, and dirty some days later, then be cleaned again etc.
Regards
Massimo
B_Realistic

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 10:04:21 AM »

@KL
And it's good that you've got the knowledge to point that out. When I know build a model I first ask it overhere at the forum to check what is right considering colors and weathering. The next step is to increase my skills to make a better model.
@Massimo
Every modeler who sents pictures from his or her model is very welcome. Cheesy
Also every modeler has it's own skills and interests clean or dirty.
It's more important that he or she enjoyed building it.
There are alot good modelers around here.
And when they show there models I always wonder how did they did that or that and I then send them a PM to ask it.
When new modelers enter our modeling club KMK they have the tendency not to show their models because they think that they aren't good enough. We encourage the modelers to enter pictures from their models because even beginners can teach more experienced modelers in some technique they use. No person will add negative comments about a model they enter. Even the most experienced modelers in our club who won many medals at international contests ask for input when they publish pictures on our forum from models in progress. Just because sometimes another angle from another modeler can point some things out that they didn't notice.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 10:06:19 AM by B_Realistic » Logged
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 11:22:43 AM »

Hi,
again an interesting discussion. So I would like to add also my bit.
I did mainly generic planes based on instruction sheet plus guesswork and generalizations (KL, sorry Wink) But more and more often I did and do model as a some material representation of what I read about - plane of a particular person or event. And here I have to agree with KL, that  research about the original plane is at least for me satisfying as model building. And if that research includes also making color profiles to find answers, even better.
For me is very frustrating that immediately after I finish the kit a new info appears - and usually show that something on my kit is incorrect Cry
But other true is that my modelling skills are not good enough to always achieve what I intended to do. And so I look at kits like those from Jonbius with a great pleasure, even if not 100% historically correct.
Happy modelling.

66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 12:07:21 PM »

@Massimo
Every modeler who sents pictures from his or her model is very welcome.

Of course, this was the meaning of my post.   I have to point that excessive criticism discourages modellers from showing their works. 

Regards
Massimo
B_Realistic

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 05:05:15 PM »

@Massimo
Every modeler who sents pictures from his or her model is very welcome.

Of course, this was the meaning of my post.   I have to point that excessive criticism discourages modellers from showing their works. 

Regards
Massimo

That's correct. And you get such positive reactions from modelers around the world when you ask some questions about there models and how they did it. I hope that every modeler on this forum will show their model because every model that has been made is for that modeler special.  Cheesy
KL

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 06:23:30 PM »

My intention wasn't to criticize or discourage anybody.  I hope it was only Massimo who saw "excessive criticism" in my post.

Modelers of all skill levels, of all levels of knowledge, of all ages - everybody is welcome to post on this forum.

What matters is interest in Soviet planes - anybody who had bought a model of a Soviet plane, anybody who had built a model of a Soviet plane, anybody who had asked a question about Soviet planes, has shown this interest and is welcome to this forum.

Happy modelling,
KL  
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 06:29:18 PM by KL » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 07:41:53 PM »

Hi Konstantin,
you can be sure that nobody will complain openly for excessive criticism in a forum. Simply, people stops to post images if they think that can't make an aged model  without having to proof it with a photo.
Of course, I highly appreciate if one documents his model with an historical and pictorial research, but stressing on this point could be unpleasant for who hasn't done it.
Once I was a founder of a modelling club, but I saw that many modellers stopped to complete models after having joined to it.
Regards
Massimo
B_Realistic

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 08:34:06 PM »

@KL
Your input is well appreciated. Cheesy
I like Russian aircraft alot but don't have the knowledge so I depend on experts on this forum to make correct models.
@Massimo
This is a tendency and difficult to counter. I was also nervous the first time I entered my models. And I thought they where correct till I heard that the colors didn't match. So the next time I took more time in consulting here on the fourm.
Thing is that plastic modeling has changed over the years. 20 years ago there where not so many models and almost no update sets to make almost a perfect model. It's all Verlinden's fault. Cheesy
I have the tendency when seeing a model to replace the cockpit, wheel wells, add resin, PE, other decals.
It will make the time to finish a model much longer then in the past. And many models are being released in that time so the stack builds up. My next model is the Tu-2T and I told myself to make it OOTB. So this is also a factor. So other modelers think that models must have all the sets to make it almost like a real one. But I've seen models OOTB which are stunning. AMS?
4bogreen

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 12:18:21 AM »

Do we need people who always comment other club/forum members? I say yes. There comment (can) make me a better modeler. I have NEVER seen a perfect model. The colors are to light, to dark, wrong equipment, weathering is over the top, or looks like a dog take a d*mp on it  Roll Eyes Yes, if you look for it, you wil find it...

John is a ''normal builder'' (i think  Grin) and makes his models straight out of the box. If i was asked to ''judge'' his model, i would not look for historical accuracy, but if he glued it nice and neat, and if he airbrushed/painted his model nice... Personally i like Johns builds. Just a no nonsens build without the PE and resin stuff. I think its refressing to see that people still can build straight out of the box in a world that is dictated by how much PE or resin your model has...
The quest to do research on my models, is a journey that will take me to the technical far ends of the machine i build. I like it very much.

I have KL's expertise in high regards , and respect his comment to make a good and well thought decision on my models, now and in the future.

Yes B_Realistic, i am also still under the Verlinden curse, and like it (for now...)
Remember its only an opinion guys, not judgement...

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: