Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
South Front Yak-1
Sovietwarplanes
April 16, 2024, 07:57:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: South Front Yak-1  (Read 27093 times)
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2013, 07:43:18 PM »

Hi,
originally I inclined to AII Blue - at least it would look nice and it would be another example of VVS camouflage.
BUT then I browsed different Russian pages (mainly http://airaces.narod.ru/all1/baran_md.htm) to get background of Baranov and his plane.
Here is overview of the key info:
- from the beginning of the war M.D. Baranov was a fighter pilot of 183rd iap,
- 183rd iap was formmed in August 1941 and armed with MiG-3 planes,
- 24-Dec-1942 Baranov bailed out on parachute from burning plane (most probably MiG-3) after the dogfight,
- 18-Mar-1942 - 183rd iap reformed and rearmed with Yak-1 planes,
- Jun 1942 - Baranov has already 20 air victories plus 6 on the ground,
- 13-Jul-1942 - 183rd iap started fighting on Stalingrad front as part of 265 iad and from the end of the month as part of 169 iad,
- 6-Aug-1942 - Baranov shot down 3 planes plus fourth plane hit by taran and again bailed out on parachute from damaged plane (most probably Yak-1),
- 12-Aug-1942 - Baranov awarded by Hero Of the Soviet Union,
- 13-Aug-1942 - article in "Pravda" newspaper about Baranov and his 24-stars plane.

So, original Baranov's plane (not necessarily "personal", but may be preferred) with max. 20 victory stars (if any painted on it) was destroyed on 6-Aug-1942 during his the most famous fight. He is awarded HSU and journalists from Pravda etc. came to 183rd iap to make photos for article.
IMHO, some existing plane from 183rd iap is taken and 24 victory stars and slogans are painted on it for photosession purpose - see following photos:

partially glossy (=polished?) Matt AMT-4 fuselage around freshly painted decorations,

- red star is partially repainted/corrected,
- partially missing black paint on the propeller blades,

- scratches and spots on fuselage,
- chafed color on the wing root,

- wing look quite weathered and scratched,

- Under wings (blue) color is not so bright here,
- note glossy (polished) AMT4 and AMT-6 on the front fuselage.

No antenna mast and no antena wire visible on the photos.

from Massimo's http://www.mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/colors/1941-43/1941-43.html:
While AMT-4 and 6 were codified in July 1941, AMT-7 was codified in August 1941, and is not mentioned on earlier manuals; earlier AII light blue remained in use in parallel with the darker AMT-7 in the first years of war.

Although the Baranov's Yak-1 plane used during the photosession seems not to be the new, most probably it was not made long before 18-Mar-1942 (date when 183rd iap was armed with Yaks). When considered "turnaround" or life span of the planes that time I would guess (having no other exact info) that "photosession plane" was built sometimes between March and August 1942, e.g. some 7 -12 months (average cca 10 months) after the blue AMT-7 was codified.

If I take that average 10 months, it points at cca June 1942 as production date of the "photosession plane".
It gives some time to plane to get some scratches, dirty/dust and may by some weathering. And within info and thoughts above IMHO the new AMT-7 is a bit more probable than AII Blue from the old stocks.

66misos

Seawinder

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 10:35:19 PM »

Wow, good and helpful information, Misos. Thanks for posting it.
Pip
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2013, 10:49:06 PM »

Good research, Misos.
It's a bit sad to think that the most part of the famous and colorful planes of the aces were not as they used to fly them, but painted for some photo session.
Regards
Massimo
Troy Smith

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 11:16:47 PM »

Jean

thanks for the Yak links, not seen that before!!   What a great resource.  For anyone else, there are many pages of profiles of various Yaks, and underneath are links to known photos. Great.  very easy to get distracted by this!

cheers
T
Seawinder

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2013, 04:32:11 AM »

I finally finished joining the South Front fuselage today. It actually came together better than I expected given other reports, but the width of the fuselage doesn't match the width of the wing fairings -- it's too wide. Has anybody else come up against this? If so, do you have any suggestions? I'm a little worried about the force it's going to require to get everything to line up.

Pip
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 07:12:10 AM »

Hi Pip,
I've never built that model, but I suppose that forcing could cause some distortion, maybe on the dihedral. It's better to file the wing fairings.
Regards
Massimo
Seawinder

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2013, 07:20:01 AM »

Hi Pip,
I've never built that model, but I suppose that forcing could cause some distortion, maybe on the dihedral. It's better to file the wing fairings.
Regards
Massimo

Hi Massimo. Filing the fairings isn't really an option: the kit is engineered with the fairings as part of the wings, not the fuselage. The curved tops of the fairings are supposed to meet the corresponding bottoms of the fuselage sides. The dihedral (and hence the distance between the fairing tops) is rigid because there's an internal wing spar. Thus, the only thing that can give is the fuselage sides. I was able to use a spring clamp to press the sides together while one side set up in the proper position. I'll do the other side tomorrow. I think it's going to work out.
Seawinder

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 05:41:36 PM »

I've got both the South Front and the Accurate Miniatures/Alpha Flight Yak-1s just about ready to paint, and I've encountered a question: The Alpha Flight vacuformed rear canopy piece has a frame at the forward edge of the two small quarter panels. The South Front piece doesn't (rather like the two small clear panels on a P-40). Drawings and photos are ambiguous. Does anybody know which is correct? I'm going to have to leave the vacuformed piece as is either way, but the South Front piece will be an easy fix -- or non-fix -- depending.

Pip
Dark Green Man

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2013, 01:09:40 AM »

it has been discovered to be standard practice at Zavod 292 (where Yak-1's were made) to only use plain red stars on the fuselage and under the wings.

Discovered?  Who made the discovery, when and how??  Huh

http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1060.0

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_16167_start_60.html
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 01:25:09 AM by Dark Green Man » Logged

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
KL

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2013, 10:12:50 PM »

OK, so you Dark Green Man made a discovery in May 2011.  May we know how did you discovered this?
Or, was it M. Golovanov who in January 2011 posted that black outlines hadn't ever been applied in Saratov factory?

Mind you that in 2008 Aviakollektsiya, Orlov explained that "plain" Red Star was standard from June 1941 to Sept 1943.  IMHO, only this qualifies as a discovery.

Regards,
KL
Seawinder

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2013, 11:45:53 PM »

Mind you that in 2008 Aviakollektsiya, Orlov explained that "plain" Red Star was standard from June 1941 to Sept 1943.  IMHO, only this qualifies as a discovery.
Regards,
KL

It's great to "see" your voice here again, Konstantin!

Is it possible that the standard "plain" Red Star also included the one with thin black outline? It certainly appears that many Yak-7s, produced between 1941 and 1943, had such stars. Or was that an aberration confined to the Novosibirsk factory?

Best,
Pip
KL

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2013, 02:27:36 AM »

Is it possible that the standard "plain" Red Star also included the one with thin black outline? It certainly appears that many Yak-7s, produced between 1941 and 1943, had such stars. Or was that an aberration confined to the Novosibirsk factory?

Yes, it was typical for (confined to) Novosibirsk Zavod 153.
Abberation, exeption, non-standard, call it however you want.
Again, black outline on Zavod 153 Yaks was mentioned by Orlov in 2008 - so, it's a known, published fact.
Seawinder

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2013, 04:12:19 AM »

Yes, it was typical for (confined to) Novosibirsk Zavod 153.
Abberation, exeption, non-standard, call it however you want.
Again, black outline on Zavod 153 Yaks was mentioned by Orlov in 2008 - so, it's a known, published fact.

Thanks for the reply. Now, another question if I may. The South Front Yak-1 instructions call for the wheel hubs to be painted A-14 Steel Grey. (The Accurate Miniatures instructions call for the outward-facing hubs to be the interior color and the inward-facing hubs to be black.) Is this correct, or should the hubs be green like other types?

Thanks again,
Pip
Seawinder

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2013, 05:07:15 AM »

Here are a couple of bench shots of the South Front kit painted and decaled. I used the kit decals (produced by Begemot). They look iffy on the paper, but behaved very well. Markings are for Valeriya Homyakova, 586 IAP. Upper colors are 4BO and AMT-6 from the Akan acrylic lacquer 1941-43 set, colors reversed from standard scheme. Lower color is my version of AII Blue. I loved airbrushing with the new Akan paints, which were not tinted.

Pip
KL

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2013, 05:20:07 AM »

Hubs were probably green.  Huh I could be wrong there...  Lips Sealed

Neither of the two original early Yaks preserved in Russian museums, Yak-1 in Saratov Regional Museum and early Yak-9 preserved in OKB Yakovlev Museum has gray wheels:

Both planes were repainted many times, shade of green is probably diffferent than original...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: