Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
1/48 Eduard Yak-3- COMPLETED
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 04:30:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/48 Eduard Yak-3- COMPLETED  (Read 8996 times)
jonbius

« on: March 24, 2013, 10:35:08 PM »

Finished another build. Nice, simple kit. The weathering of the paint came out too subtle... can't really see it. Oh well, reckon I'll build another. Maybe the Zvezda kit someday. My next builds will use Akan paints, so hopefully the colors will be closer to the real thing. For this one I just used what was at hand. Still, it's not too bad, I think. It was a fun build.

What does the writing on the side say?

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
B_Realistic

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 12:08:03 PM »

Again a very well done Yak-3. Cheesy
As you mentioned before you're a fast builder. Shocked
How many hours do you spent building models daily?
jonbius

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 12:37:47 PM »

Again a very well done Yak-3. Cheesy
As you mentioned before you're a fast builder. Shocked
How many hours do you spent building models daily?

Thanks B_R!

I spend 2-3 hours a day building. I get up early each morning so I have some time to build, and then each evening after dinner. On weekends I'll usually get in more time.

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
4bogreen

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 02:54:23 PM »

Looks great John!  Smiley

Another one on the shelf of finished models! Cheesy

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 03:50:52 PM »

Hi Jon,
very nice model. I like very much how well you made invisible the film of the decals.
Regards
Massimo
jonbius

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 03:53:33 PM »

Looks great John!  Smiley

Another one on the shelf of finished models! Cheesy

Thank you!

Hi Jon,
very nice model. I like very much how well you made invisible the film of the decals.
Regards
Massimo

Yeah, me too! Now I wish I knew how I managed to do that! LOL

Thanks for the kind words!

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
KL

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 04:31:29 PM »

Hi Jon,  Smiley
your Yak-3 look nice, but couple of things will need attention (next time):

1.  Two camouflage gray colours should be significantly darker
2.  Camouflage pattern on wings is different

You probably followed kit instruction, so it's more Edward's mistake. The decal for slogan Edward provides is very disapointing - it contains few non-cyrillic letters, like "w".

Let us know when you start your next gray-gray VVS plane.
Cheers,
KL
learstang

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 04:43:04 PM »

The inscription refers to Hero of the Soviet Union Nikolai Denchik from ?  I'm afraid that I'm can't really make out much of the remaining inscription - it may refer to where Tovarich Denchik was from and who donated the Yak-3.  This was apparently a presentation machine bought by money donated by whomever the rest of the inscription refers to.  I'm afraid my Russian is still a bit too limited.  I'm sure Konstantin can translate the rest.  Konstantin's correct about the colours being light, but still a beautifully-done model!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 06:22:38 PM »

Hi Jonbius,
very nice kit.
However too bright colors. Those from AKAN are significantly darker - see my one at http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1394.0
I tried to read that inscription. It it something like "To Hero of Soviet Union Nikolayu Denchik from workers of manchenkovskgo    c/c. Kharukovich(?)"

Regards,
     66misos

KL

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 07:38:18 PM »

It is a presentation plane, donated/funded by the workers of the Manchenki vilage Soviet in Kharkov region, Ukraine.

Pilot's name is Nikolai Denchik.  His biography at:
http://www.pobeda.witebsk.by/sky/hero/3va/denchik/
http://airaces.narod.ru/all12/denchik.htm

Denchik ended war as a Hero of the Soviet Union with 19 victories.  Modern researcher M. Bikov found in archives 17 confirmed victories + 3 group victories as Denchik's final score.

Hope this is of interest...
KL
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:50:35 PM by KL » Logged
jonbius

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 08:18:20 PM »

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone!  Grin

KL and Misos-

I'd painted this model before I'd done much reading here on this site to help clarify colors. I actually tried to match the colors to some older builds I had using Pollyscale colors, which were of course too light. (The colors I used are actually RAF Medium Sea Gray and RAF Ocean Gray, both from Tamiya.) Now that I have the Akan paints, hopefully it should look closer to the real thing. I'm working on an La-5 and Yak-7V which will be in green/black, but after that will be an La-5FN and Yak-9 in the darker grays, so we'll see how that looks!

KL- You were right about that pattern. I'd actually used Eduard's instructions for the pattern for a Normandie-Niemen Regiment Yak, but the decals fell apart. So the decals on the model now were an aftermarket set, and I opted to not repaint.  Shocked  Grin

Also, THANK YOU for those photos! They are great. And thank you all for the translation help.

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 09:22:17 PM »

Hi Jonbious,

here http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=201.msg9324#msg9324 you can get an idea about AKAN greys and those lighter greys used in the past - both kits were photograped under the same light conditions. In the reality the difference is even bigger - dark grey on La-7 (from cca 2000) is quite close to light grey (AKAN AMT-11) on La-5FN (from 2012)...
Also difference in the patterns is quite remarkable.

Regards,
     66misos

jonbius

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 09:26:37 PM »

Hi Jonbious,

here http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=201.msg9324#msg9324 you can get an idea about AKAN greys and those lighter greys used in the past - both kits were photograped under the same light conditions. In the reality the difference is even bigger - dark grey on La-7 (from cca 2000) is quite close to light grey (AKAN AMT-11) on La-5FN (from 2012)...
Also difference in the patterns is quite remarkable.

Regards,
     66misos

Thanks Misos! That really does show the difference, in both color and pattern. The newer one is much more angular.

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: