Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Sukchoi Su-2 1/72 ICM build
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 04:53:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Sukchoi Su-2 1/72 ICM build  (Read 15467 times)
Libor Jekl

« on: January 16, 2007, 02:40:55 PM »

Hi all,

After some years of decision making whether to build this kit or not, I eventually started... Enclosed is the sprue layout and the aftermarkets from PH Model, Eduard and Part. I will also use the AML decals.
My target is to build the kit within few weeks, as I take part at a local web group build called "Russian winter". I am going to model Su-2 variant with M-88B engine as flown at 210. BBAP in winter 1941/1942.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 02:42:40 PM by Libor Jekl » Logged
Libor Jekl

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 02:48:27 PM »

... and here is some progress. Missing rounded windows behind the wing root has been drilled out and the openings filled with a disc of clear plastic, which was subsequently sanded smooth and polished with Tamiya Rubbing Compound. I also thinned the fuselage cockpit walls, as these were much on the thick side...
Assembling the bomb bay and cockpits using both Eduard and Part etched...

Bye for now,
Libor

Dark Green Man

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 10:10:54 PM »

WOW!
Libor, that looks awesome so far.
the final item should look fantastic
(the only real failing I can see in the ICM Su-2 is the lack of 'portholes' in the lower rear fuselage, just as you describe)

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Libor Jekl

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 12:17:50 PM »

Thanks! Wink
Speaking of downsides, I think the worst issue is number of sinkmarks, which may vary case by case. My example is fortunately affected minimally, but I saw kits with huge sinkmarks all along the wing's trailing edge. Shocked

Some small progress once again... Painting the interior and making new wheel bays (actually, the other downside) from Evergreen stock. The small revision holes inside the bays are still to be cut out.

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 08:29:42 PM »

WOW!
Libor, that looks awesome so far.
the final item should look fantastic
(the only real failing I can see in the ICM Su-2 is the lack of 'portholes' in the lower rear fuselage, just as you describe)

Libor is an awesome builder, no question. I thought I should mention, before you offer him a copy of that Su-2 book, that it was Libor who gave it to me in the first place!  Wink

(Some people call what I just did "coattailling" - trying to share the glory of someone *better* by "riding on his coattails" - sorry, Libor!  Grin)

John Thompson
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 12:34:23 AM »

Hi Libor, Smiley
truly a beautiful work. Thanks for sharing.
I've two Su-2s  with resin cowling too, and your description will be useful to me too.
About the photoetched sets: it looks that they are nealy complementary, only few details of the cockpit are duplicated between the sets, isn't it? So one has to buy them both...
Massimo
Dark Green Man

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 01:14:21 AM »

I thought I should mention, before you offer him a copy of that Su-2 book, that it was Libor who gave it to me in the first place! Wink

(Some people call what I just did "coattailling" - trying to share the glory of someone *better* by "riding on his coattails" - sorry, Libor! Grin)

John Thompson

John , thanks for the advise!
you just saved me from having a LOT of egg on my face.? Smiley
as for 'coat-tailing' I can only quote Bugs Bunny on that...
"If you can't beat 'em , join 'em!"

[/color]

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Libor Jekl

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 11:56:12 AM »

John: LOL!? Grin That was a good one!
Btw, a good source is also Airmagazine no.1, albeit most of the info/pictures included there is the same as in that Russian book. Anyway, being printed on better paper the drawings and pictures are more usable.
Massimo: yes, more or less it is like that, both sets are "almost" complementary (but if you don't need the flaps then the Eduard set might be sufficient).

So, the wing and fuselage went together with some need of trimming and filling... Now I have to rescribe the panel and renew lost rivets.
Bye for now,
Libor

Libor Jekl

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 12:34:40 PM »

Over the weekend I played a little with the wing landings lights. The kit's items are quite usuable, I just painted them silver inside and bordered with thin plastic strips. I also replaced the wing guns apertures, they should be located slightly above wing longitudinal axe.

Bye for now,
Libor

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 06:46:39 PM »

Hi Libor, Smiley
the wing leading edge appears a bit recessed close to the light. I suggest to check this before painting.
Massimo
Libor Jekl

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 03:51:36 PM »

Hi Massimo,

Thanks for your comment  Wink; actually, I noticed that as well, but it is hardly visible on the kit (don't forget the piece of wing you can see on the screen is more than twice larger than real thing  Grin). But for sure, there is some little "oversanding" of the wing lower part; I think it won't be visible when painted.

Bye for now,
Libor
Libor Jekl

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 01:10:13 PM »

Finally, I was able to attach the canopy and make new sliding parts; then I masked them off using Eduard canopy masks and Tamiya tape. The kit got a coat of Mr.Surfacer 1000 and now I'm going to renew damaged rivet lines (btw, the pattern maker made fantastic job on rivets - some are flush, while the others are bulged and everything is obviously hand made - no 3D computer modelling here!).

Bye for now,
Libor

Libor Jekl

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 08:01:13 AM »

The camo is on now... As only one picture of this plane does exist, I did not bother with the exact camouflage patterns that much and simply followed the AML painting guide, especially for the tail section. The paints used are as follows: AII Green - Gunze H302 Green, AII Black - mix of Gunze Flat Black and Tire Black, AII Blue - Aeromaster "Russian Blue", tail "patches" - Gunze Off White.? After applying the decals all will be properly weathered.

Cheers,
Libor

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 08:54:06 AM »

Hi Libor, Smiley
nice to see your model. It looks an excellent one. Thank you for sharing the images.
Massimo
Jet

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 12:46:46 PM »

Looks great, nice shading work  Wink
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: