Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Trumpeter MiG-3 early version completed
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 03:30:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trumpeter MiG-3 early version completed  (Read 6409 times)
Seawinder

« on: April 19, 2013, 07:42:30 PM »

I can't match Jonbius for production levels, but I did finally finish this one. I had to wait for another copy of the kit to arrive because I managed to lose the landing light lens inside the wing (DOH!). I also removed my first exhaust stain attempts (thanks, Massimo) and redid them with pastels. I used the undersurface blue for the cockpit, which is probably (though not absolutely, certainly) wrong. I was going by the Aviarestoration of Novosibirsk walkaround photos. I backdated the exhausts by removing the top and bottom lips and reducing the size of the forward fairing. I replaced the drastically undersized radio mast with one from an ICM kit, and I filled/sanded the cavernously indented control surfaces. I drew the tail number based on Massimo's profile and had it custom printed. The plane flew with the 401 IAP, Moscow front, 1941.

Pip
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 06:39:40 PM by Seawinder » Logged
B_Realistic

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 08:45:04 PM »

@Pip
Who can follow the production level of Jonbius? Cheesy
Great looking Mig-3.
Do you have some underside pictures?
@4bogreen
Now it's your turn. Cheesy
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 10:11:32 PM »

Hi Seawinder,
very nice kit. Exhaust stains look much better now. What paints did you use? Nicely distinguished two different green colors.
Btw, what is that plane in the background under construction?

66miisos

Seawinder

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 10:45:29 PM »

Hi Seawinder,
very nice kit. Exhaust stains look much better now. What paints did you use? Nicely distinguished two different green colors.
Btw, what is that plane in the background under construction?

66miisos

Thanks, Misos. I found it more of a challenge than I anticipated to distinguish the two greens. I used Model Master 34079 straight up for the AII Green; I used a mix of Model Master 34102 and 34151 for A-19. Incidentally, MM 34079 isn't a very good representation of 34079 -- too green -- but I think it works okay for AII Green.

The other plane in the photo is one of the two Yak-1s I'm working on. It's the Accurate Miniatures kit with the Alpha Flight resin/vac fuselage correction. Although it appears to have brown-green camouflage in the pictures, it actually only has the bottom painted (AMT-7) and some gray primer topside. Looks as if the South Front Yak-1 will be finished first.

Cheers,
Pip
4bogreen

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 11:47:20 PM »

Hey Pip,

That looks great  Cheesy I like the distinguished green on your machine  Cool Cool idea with the propeller to make the rear black and the front aluminum.
Its nice to see that you have chosen a all green camouflage instead of a busy one, or one that has bin made several times before by different people.

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
Seawinder

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 12:32:04 AM »

Hey Pip,

That looks great  Cheesy I like the distinguished green on your machine  Cool Cool idea with the propeller to make the rear black and the front aluminum.
Its nice to see that you have chosen a all green camouflage instead of a busy one, or one that has bin made several times before by different people.

Regards,

Remco

Thanks, Remco! When I first decided to do White 36, it appeared that the nose should be black and sweeping down to the wing trailing edge. However, after conversations with Massimo and Konstantin and looking at the video, I concluded this wasn't the case. I think the two greens break up what would otherwise be a monotonous paint scheme.

Pip
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 03:07:25 AM by Seawinder » Logged
learstang

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 12:52:44 AM »

Well, there's certainly nothing monotonous about your MiG-3, Pip!  Very nicely done!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 03:36:36 PM »

Good model, Pip. The greens look fully convincing in the photo.
Am I wrong, or the tail wheel doors are still missing?
Regards
Massimo
Seawinder

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 04:51:39 PM »

Good model, Pip. The greens look fully convincing in the photo.
Am I wrong, or the tail wheel doors are still missing?
Regards
Massimo

DOH! Didn't even notice them on the sprue. Thanks for pointing that out, Massimo. I'll stick 'em on.

Cheers,
Pip
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: