Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Accurate Miniatures Yak-1B completed
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 09:12:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Accurate Miniatures Yak-1B completed  (Read 7498 times)
Tyronesdaddy

« on: April 22, 2013, 07:23:55 PM »

I recently finished the Accurate Miniatures Yak-1B.  The paints are Akan acrylic amt-7, 11 & 12.  The decals are from Illiad.  The pics were taken in direct sunlight.  

Seawinder

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 07:27:45 PM »

Nice work, TD. Are the Akan paints the aqueous acrlics, acrylic lacquers, or enamels?

Cheers,
Pip
Tyronesdaddy

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 08:53:14 PM »

Thank you.  I used Akan aqueous acrylic.  The paints were not lightened and the photos were taken in direct sunlight.  I noticed when sprayed over amt-11 the amt-12 appears more grey than when sprayed over amt-1 or 4.  See the pic below:

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 10:06:26 PM »

Hi TD,
thank you for posting the photos. The models look very clean and well made.
From the photo, the dark grey on the Il-2 looks surprisingly blackish. On photos, this was the typical look of Shturmoviks built in Zavod 1, while the ones of other factories had a much lower contrast, for unknown reasons.
Regards
Massimo
Seawinder

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 10:08:23 PM »

Thank you.  I used Akan aqueous acrylic.  The paints were not lightened and the photos were taken in direct sunlight.  I noticed when sprayed over amt-11 the amt-12 appears more grey than when sprayed over amt-1 or 4.  See the pic below:

Yes, that's an interesting effect. I've been using the Akan acrylic lacquers on my two Yak-1 builds. I like them very much, and they're definitely lighter than the aqueous acrylics I also have in my stash.

Cheers,
Pip
B_Realistic

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 09:07:18 AM »

Again a well made model.
That's an interesting remark about the AKAN paints.
I've never used them before and I would go for acryls.
What's the difference between aqueous acrylics and acrylic lacquers? Huh
Seawinder

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 04:49:57 PM »

Again a well made model.

Hi B_R.
I'm nothing like an expert on paints or chemistry, but from what I read in a quick net search, the difference is in the carriers: Aqueous acrylics have a water based-carrier, while acrylic lacquers have a lacquer-based carrier. In my experience, acrylic lacquers adhere better to the surface, and they can be thinned more without losing covering ability. The Gunze Mr. Color line are also acrylic lacquers; the new Akan paints behave very much like them. With reference to the Akan paints, their aqueous acrylics are produced in Finland; the new acrylic lacquer paints are produced (by Dupont) in Belgium.

Cheers,
Pip
B_Realistic

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 09:07:19 AM »

Again a well made model.

Hi B_R.
I'm nothing like an expert on paints or chemistry, but from what I read in a quick net search, the difference is in the carriers: Aqueous acrylics have a water based-carrier, while acrylic lacquers have a lacquer-based carrier. In my experience, acrylic lacquers adhere better to the surface, and they can be thinned more without losing covering ability. The Gunze Mr. Color line are also acrylic lacquers; the new Akan paints behave very much like them. With reference to the Akan paints, their aqueous acrylics are produced in Finland; the new acrylic lacquer paints are produced (by Dupont) in Belgium.

Cheers,
Pip

The new acrylic lacquer paints from AKAN are produced by Dupont in Belgium? Huh
I've worked there a decade ago and the factory is just 15km away.
I'm surprised to hear that.
I know a guy who works there so I'll contact him.
It would be great to get some paints directly which I doubt.
How stupid is that they make the paints in Belgium, they go to the east and then when I want to order them it transfers again to almost the same place. Shocked
Seawinder

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 05:48:07 PM »

Well, I'm just going by what is printed on the label of the package.   Undecided

Pip
B_Realistic

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 09:34:06 PM »

Well, I'm just going by what is printed on the label of the package.   Undecided

Pip

If it's printed on the label it's correct. Dupont is very professional about that.
I've asked my friend today and he didn't know AKAN so I posted a link to give him more information about it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: