Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Not Soviet warplanes...
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 10:32:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Not Soviet warplanes...  (Read 7861 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: April 26, 2013, 01:47:18 PM »

Hi,
here are some photos of my recently built tanks:

This is an Ariete of Trumpeter, 1/35; essentially out of box, apart for the tanker made by modified spare pieces, the slot for the coaxial mg and few other details.

Should anyone want to see more photos, they are here:
http://freeforumzone.leonardo.it/discussione.aspx?idd=10538903&#idm122005922
Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:17:12 PM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
learstang

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 05:41:48 PM »

Nice-looking tank, Massimo - good job!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
B_Realistic

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 08:02:52 PM »

@Massimo
It's great to see pictures from your tank. Cheesy
Is OOTB or some other tracks because they seems to be casted very well?
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »

Hi, thank you for tour nice words.
The tracks were from the box. Their shape and flexibility were good, but they had other defects: they were too long of two links, few teeth were badly moulded (I suppose those of the injection gate) and the paint made a bad adhesion on their black rubber. Anyway, they are half hidden under the skirts, and what is visible is satisfying enough.
Some considerations on the kit:
in general, it is good, cheap and the comparison with close photos is satisfying.
Some small defects:
the lack of the slot of the coaxial mg on the turret (I made it)
the printed bolts on the turret front are badly printed (however the kit gives new good bolts to cut and replace them)
the panoramic sight hasn't a clear window and internal details;
the gunner's sight is closed and can't be made open without surgery;
the gun's fume extractor was filed on its lower side to give the idea to be asymmetric (first I thought to cut it and glue it out of center, but then I renounced fearing that it would have been difficult to glue it straight again):
the hatches are separate and with internal side details, but their hinges are provided for closed position only and require some surgey to make them open;
some small details as the smoke grenade wires, the rings on the screws of the visor cover etc. should be added;
decals are for one tank only;
one can't choose to omit the extra armour to make a tank in the homeland, because the side skirts are uncomplete; full side skirts are included in the earlier release without added armour, but this one has a wrong gun barrel.

About the painting technique: an Humbrol dark green primer, then a sprayed yayer of Gunze 303, then the recesses were darkened with the already described mix, then some light drybrushing, then some clear gloss, the decals and a layer of Gunze matt clear; the dust was made with a mix of humbrol 72, dust and white spirit and a large rigid brush. The clear parts are not really clear, but made with a thin film painted with a petrol black and glued from outside with a small amount of white glue.

Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 07:26:42 AM »

Hey Massimo  Cheesy

Your tank looks good for a aircraftbuilder! Cheesy One tip, If you paint the tools that wil go on the tank, paint the tools before you glue them on the body. If you worry about glue stains, tip the glue stains with matt or semigloss paint to mask the shiny stainspot  Wink I always paint the hatches, tools, cables, wheels, tracks and periscopes separately. When the basecolor is painted, then i put on the parts slowly...

Regards,

Remco  Smiley

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 01:11:15 PM »

Hi Remco,
the real tools of Ariete are painted in the same color of the tank. Someone can show chipping ( the real saw, in particular, could let vaguely see the original orange-red paint on the real weathered tanks) but otherwise are green. Wheels and suspensions were painted separately, including the blackish rubber part that is scarcely visible because of dust, as other details that required different colors. Only the lights and the yellow screws on the frontal plate were painted already mounted on, but they are predominantly of the color of the background.
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »

I see. I just saw some real photo's and you re right about the tools. Still a very intersting tank. Its someting different then a Abraham's or T-55 tank (i have driven a T-55, and it was fun and hard learn  Tongue  Cheesy)

Have you got a other tank in sight to build?

Regards,

Remco  Smiley

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 09:33:19 AM »

Hi Remco,
driven a T-55? Interesting indeed.
I converted a T-55 from a T-62 of Tamiya about 25 years ago, before the release of any kit and resin conversion. I scratchbuilt the turret, shortened the hull, repositioned the front and rear plates etc. I think it's still adecent model, although made obsolete by new kits.

My next one? Well, I think that I'll give time to painting for next 2-3 months, but I've built many kits during this winter. I'll post some photos.
The next one? I'm still undecided. I'm thinking to some Chinese one.
Perhaps the type 69 of Trumpeter sold to Iraq, or eventually its conversion into the Type 69 sold to Bangladesh, you can find nice photos by googling.
http://www.defence.pk/forums/bangladesh-defence/17482-type-69-mk-ii-g-main-battle-tank-8.html
The tracks and drive wheels are a major problem of this kit; tracks can be easily bought, but the drive wheel is too wide in diameter and won't fit with good-scaled tracks.  I have a set of tracks including a drive wheel, but it is out of commerce now and I would preserve my one for another one without the skirts. Banglades ones have a different type of track (similar to that of M-47).

Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 03:05:19 PM »

Hi all,
here is a photo of my Jordanian Challenger.
This is an old Tamiya kit, that I found already half-built in my huge kit depot.
I thought to complete it quickly from the box, but after having seen photos of the tanks in Jordanian service I was amazed for their geometric camouflage.
The work wasn't  too easy, both because of the masks required and for the poor quality of the kit, that required the scratchbuilding of some turret baskets and other minor details.
The tank commander is elaborated from Dragon pieces.
Despite some defects, I am pleased enogh with this model.

Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 09:57:23 PM »

Hey Massimo  Smiley

That is a very cool camouflage patern on the Challanger! I like it. Its special to see someone makes a Jordanian tank. My favorite small country is Tjecho Slovakia. They made some fun stuff also. Like the Dana artillery gun.

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 11:08:24 PM »

Hi Remco,
this camo pattern can be found on many Jordanian vehicles, including Shilkas. The irregular black shape is recurrent on each side of each vehicle and could be a low visibility national mark.
Sometimes I consider to collect informations on painting of real tanks and photos (all the sides of these Challengers, for example) in some web page, but its maintenance would be a huge work.
I've to look for a good explanation of the use of colors on Russian/Soviet tanks, Akan has many on their catalogue but their use is unclear. Have you found any source to clarify the thing?
I've seen the box of the Dana of Trumpeter; it is attractive, but large and expensive. Maybe I'll find some good offers one day.
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 12:47:38 PM »

On Soviet camouflage i have the book from Armada books. It says the folowing about soviet camouflage in 1930 till 1945. In the 1930s the soviets were experimenting heavily with camouflage colors. The following results accrue;
- the best camouflage pattern was a green base coat with brown and black blothes (yes what NATO uses now as woodland pattern)
- there where also experiments on plane green vehicles and camouflaged vehicles. They measured with distance and the human eye. In the far distance the human eye "fills in" small differences in the background color like bushes and trees. The eye just blends the background mostly green. There was no difference to see with a green and camouflaged vehicles. In medium distance there was a 50/50% chance to see the green or camouflaged vehicles. Up close you see both vehicles. Conclusion then: why camouflage vehicles in different colors if the effect is so little? It costs extra time and paint. That's why soviet vehicles were green delivered to the front. Some factory's had paint from the experimental era that they used on there vehicles. Sometimes enemy maintenance depots were captured, and used the paint on there vehicles...

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 08:57:04 PM »

Hi Remco,
so the book says that nearly all the vehicles were of uniform color. But is there an explanation of the many colors (greens and browns) that Akan offers for Soviet tanks?
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 11:47:42 PM »

Massimo,

Yes, there is an explanation why Akan offers different greens and browns. When the Germans invaded the Soviet union, an amazing 22.000 till 23.000 afv were deploit. About 50% was camouflaged and painted in these colors due the painting experiments in the 1930s. T-26, T-35, the BA/BT series, most of the were camoflaged. And they found it not neccecery to repaint all 22.000 afv. A whole bunch of time and money it will cost to do this...And the Soviets needed tanks. Some factory's still used camoflage on their tanks like the Lenningrad area, because the factory's were cutt off by the Germans.

On the bench,
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: