Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
New Il-4 in 1/48 scale
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 11:03:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: New Il-4 in 1/48 scale  (Read 21529 times)
TISO

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 01:02:23 PM »

Nice now how to convince Xuntong to shrink this kit and their Tu-2 series to the one true scale (1/72)?

BTW on the CAD drawind aren't those engine cowlings indicative for DB-3F?

Disciple of Error
learstang

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 06:03:10 PM »

Nice now how to convince Xuntong to shrink this kit and their Tu-2 series to the one true scale (1/72)?

BTW on the CAD drawind aren't those engine cowlings indicative for DB-3F?

I couldn't agree more, TISO!  As I said in an earlier post on this thread, we need an accurate Il-4 in 1/72nd scale.  Now that Hobby Boss are coming out with an Easy Assembly Tu-2, we at least have an easy-to-build Tu-2 in 1/72nd scale, but I'll settle for a hard to build Il-4 in 1/72nd scale, as long as it's accurate.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Piotr Mikolajski

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 01:11:09 PM »

As I said in an earlier post on this thread, we need an accurate Il-4 in 1/72nd scale.
I thought that existing kit is not that bad but to be honest I never checked its accuracy.
learstang

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 05:51:57 PM »

As I said in an earlier post on this thread, we need an accurate Il-4 in 1/72nd scale.
I thought that existing kit is not that bad but to be honest I never checked its accuracy.

Piotr, there are two kits of the Il-4 in 1/72nd scale that I'm aware of, one from Zvezda, and one now released by Revell (old Plasticart, perhaps?).  Both have their problems.  The Zvezda kit's main problem is the cowlings, which are cylindrical, instead of being rounded, and best replaced by the cowlings from the Revell kit (I got a hold of an old out of production Goffy replacement set).  In addition, both kits have some rather tricky construction; the nacelles on the Zvezda kit are separate from the wings, so the wings have to be attached on both sides, and the Revell kit, although it has more interior detail than the Zvezda kit, has the fuselage in four parts, top, sides, and bottom!  In short, there exists no modern, accurate kit of the Il-4.  Now if Zvezda were to release a new Il-4 to the quality of their Pe-8 kit, then that would settle it.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
TISO

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 07:26:30 PM »

Piotr, there are two kits of the Il-4 in 1/72nd scale that I'm aware of, one from Zvezda, and one now released by Revell (old Plasticart, perhaps?).  Both have their problems.  The Zvezda kit's main problem is the cowlings, which are cylindrical, instead of being rounded, and best replaced by the cowlings from the Revell kit (I got a hold of an old out of production Goffy replacement set).  In addition, both kits have some rather tricky construction; the nacelles on the Zvezda kit are separate from the wings, so the wings have to be attached on both sides, and the Revell kit, although it has more interior detail than the Zvezda kit, has the fuselage in four parts, top, sides, and bottom!  In short, there exists no modern, accurate kit of the Il-4.  Now if Zvezda were to release a new Il-4 to the quality of their Pe-8 kit, then that would settle it.

Regards,

Jason
You forgot the mother of Zvezda kit the Maquette kit of DB-3 and Il-4

Disciple of Error
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 08:08:41 PM »

Hi,
I have the Revell kit, and I can add that the turret is too small, the prop blades have an hardly continue curvature, the upper fuselage cross section is too squared, the rudder/stabilizer is too low and with a bad squared base, and the surface panels are raised and too heavy. 
Perhaps I'll build it all the same, but I would be happy to leave it for a radically new kit.
Don't forget the DB-3, that is more different from DB-3F /Il-4 than for the flat nose and low turret, even if those are the most visible differences. 
Unfortunately the model of Maquette looks very poor, particularly if you take into account that the most of them were painted silver, and this would reveal witout any pity all the defects of the panelling.
Regards
Massimo
Ohotnyik

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 06:13:14 PM »

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/message/1389170710/1-48+Xuntong+Il-4+test+build
learstang

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 06:50:34 PM »

That does look nice!  If only they'd downscale it to 1/72nd scale.  Still, If I do buy the Tu-2, this would look good alongside it and my Tamiya Il-2 (whenever I finish it).  Still, it's always nice to see new-mould VVS kits, in whatever scale.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
B_Realistic

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 07:37:41 PM »

Maybe KL can take a look at it. Cheesy
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 09:42:15 PM »

Hi,
well, the choice of the 3-shades camouflage and post-1943 markings is uncoherent with the early version (DB-3F of 1940-41) that can be deducted by the bulged cowlings and the window behind the canopy.
Besides, yellow tips of the prop blades, very light brown... not convincing painting, at a first look. The modeller made a mix of 2 or 3 versions.
The choice to use black instead of dark grey is very possible for this type.
Anyway it looks a marvellous kit. It should be available in 3 variants. I hope in an 1/72 reduction very much.
Regards
Massimo
Troy Smith

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 11:13:27 PM »

Note for Hyperscale threads, if you change 'message' to 'thread' in the link, you get the whole thread on one page.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1389170710/1-48+Xuntong+Il-4+test+build

In the last post [as of posting this] Sergey Kosachev mentions the build should have AMT-12.

There's also a link and posting of the kit schemes http://www.xtmodel.com.cn/2013/news_1122/15.html

so....when's the 1/48 Yer-2 and Pe-8 due  Wink

cheers
T
TISO

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 02:35:36 AM »

Interesting 2 cowling types and range of ordnance provided. I just might get me one even tough it is in "wrong" scale.

Disciple of Error
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 05:17:43 PM »

Hi,
In the last post [as of posting this] Sergey Kosachev mentions the build should have AMT-12.

The templates of 1943 describe the darker color as black for Il-4 and Pe-8, and dark grey for other types.

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/colors/1943-45-bombers/1943-45bombers.html

Of course, it is possible that some planes were painted in grey.

Regards
Massimo
Bonehammer

Stealing the nail file from her own purse

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 02:52:08 PM »

The model now appears on Xuntong's website. One more step forward toward my ever growing stash building... Grin
DB-3F
Il-4
Il-4T
The choice of camouflage could have been more varied, but that's just me nitpicking.

I'd also love someone to come out with an "old school" vacform conversion for the early pug-nosed DB-3's, but three versions will suffice for now.
Massimo, if you note some unusually obsessed traffic on the site these days, that will be me oohing and aahing over Tapani's profiles...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 03:01:31 PM by Bonehammer » Logged

I'm too lazy to even fi
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 04:08:08 PM »

Hi Bonehammer,
I hope that those drawings will be more useful now.
Personally I like very much the planes with nonstandard camo of 1940-41, so called DB-3F.  I think that the kit of Xuntong has the ball turret, but some early planes could have had a lower version of the MV-3 turret that, I suppose, is not included into the kit. This could limit the choice.
To obtain an old DB-3 from a DB-3F... it is possible, but it's a lot of work; changing the nose won't be enough.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: