Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
AML LaGG-3 Decals - Mironov
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 01:02:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AML LaGG-3 Decals - Mironov  (Read 8293 times)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« on: January 25, 2007, 09:52:14 PM »

I'm in the process of building a Toko 1/72 LaGG-3, as Mironov's "White 78" aircraft, intending to use the AML decals for this. Thankfully I actually *read* Massimo's research page on this aircraft, and saw the note (supported with a photo) that indicates Mironov's "series 11" had a non-standard weapons fit - a second 12.7 mm gun on the *right* side of the nose, in addition to the one on the left.  I mention this because the decal sheet instructions don't say anything about it. Now that I think of it, it would have been great if AML had included a resin replacement for the kit's upper cowling section that would include the two-gun arrangement, instead of the somewhat unnecessary and fragile cannon for the "series 34" LaGG-3 (White 04) on the same sheet.

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/lagg3/mironov/mironov.html

Thanks, Massimo!

John Thompson
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 10:10:05 PM »

Hi John, Smiley
on my Toko kit, the piece of upper cowling with bulges and two front guns is already in the box. Please, check your one.
Massimo
Jet

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 12:58:42 AM »

Hi John, Smiley
on my Toko kit, the piece of upper cowling with bulges and two front guns is already in the box. Please, check your one.
Massimo

I believe he's talking about the smaller guns that are forward and inboard of the bulges. Late model LaGG-3s had one on the port side but early models had them both port and starboard  Wink
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 03:15:52 AM »

Hi John, Smiley
Massimo

Hi Massimo!  Smiley I could be wrong, but from your page devoted to Mironov's LaGG-3, it seems that this aircraft had a second, non-standard gun added, unlike a standard "series 11" LaGG-3. The photo of the crashed aircraft, taken from the right side, shows this. The aircraft did not have any cowling bulges, apparently. For this reason I thought it would be easier to use the late cowling top part, and add a gun outlet to it. I don't think the the plastic in the part with the two guns and the bulges is thick enough to allow the bulges to be filed/sanded off, but I didn't think to try that - I had already glued the late cowling top in place, before I read your article more carefully and discovered the information about the second gun!

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/lagg3/mironov/mironov.html

John Thompson

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 09:58:17 PM »

Hi John, Smiley
you're right, some surgery is needed.
Massimo
Dave

guaranteed varnished nutcase

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 12:41:36 AM »

Wow, I finally tracked down a Toko LaGG-3 from Canada, after reading Massimo's review. Will build it once a few more projects are done. I already have the decals for 'Galchenko's Cat'! Cheesy

Much of the modelling on this site is with kits that aren't exactly 'off the shelf', well not in Britain anyway  Embarrassed Unrelated but, I found the Revell La-5fn available in the UK, to be quite a decent kit. Does anyone know if the proportions are ok/and or if any other manufacturers used that same mould?

Dave.
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 12:58:34 AM »

Unrelated but, I found the Revell La-5fn available in the UK, to be quite a decent kit. Does anyone know if the proportions are ok/and or if any other manufacturers used that same mould?
Dave.

This is the old Italeri mold; it has also been released by Zvezda, and now Revell. All three companies have some business relationship, and occasionally share molds. It's a pretty basic kit (considering how long it's been around) but looks okay when built. The main thing I recall that is not right about it is that the rear fuselage is much too narrow. In that regard, it reminds me of a FW-190, but maybe that's because the old Italeri box art showed a captured version, in German markings! The narrowness of the fuselage also affects the canopy, and for that reason, the Falcon VVS vacuformed canopy set includes one which is specifically molded with this in mind.
Here's a link to a build review by Jon Hudak:
http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/allies/ussr/hudakla5.htm

John Thompson
Dave

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 01:45:07 PM »

Thanks, much appreciated. I saw that review but didn't realise it was the same as the revell kit. I'm painting an Eduard La-7 the moment and the two rear fuselages are similar but the Revell is a bit thinner. Not terrible though.

Argh, Humbrol 65 is an awful paint , very thin but the correct colour for the underside. I can't find any other paint in the Coventry area. Humbrol is usually good, but not this pot!
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 04:40:07 PM »

How good are the decals in the Revell kit? It appears to have some interesting options, and I was considering buying it for that reason while it's on sale at Squadron this month. Thanks!

John
Dave

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 06:42:01 PM »

Yes they are really nice, 3 options. One has slogans on the side and another are the markings of S.M.Kramarenko second top Russian ace of the Korean War (although he only got 2 kills in the La-5!). A very pretty kit, just don't paint the underside Revell 57 'interior green' like I did (in the instructions), may well be the correct colour though Huh Undecided

Plus I got the kit for only 4 pounds.
Dark Green Man

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 03:15:30 AM »

it includes decals for :

white 25 Lt S M Kramarenko 19 IAP April 1944
white 52 Kpt N P Pushkin 2 GIAP Sep 1943
silver 06 Kpt W? M Schkurenko 137 GIAP Riga Oct 1944

personally I have doubts about any silver numbers...

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: