Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
AMT-1 in Akan's new acrylic lacquer line
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 09:43:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: AMT-1 in Akan's new acrylic lacquer line  (Read 36967 times)
Seawinder

« on: May 06, 2013, 06:04:30 PM »

There are photos of a completed Tamiya Il-2 in the Plastic Pics section of HyperScale:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47751/message/1367774138/Tamiya%27s+new+IL-2M+type+3+done...

The builder used the new Akan acrylic lacquers (which I've been using with quite a bit of enthusiasm). To my eye the AMT-1 looks quite different -- more like tan -- from the renditions in their other paint lines. I'd be interested in what others think.

Cheers,
Pip
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 11:19:01 PM »

Hi Pip,
it looks more tan than the one we've discussed on Britmodeller, but is it an impression of these photos or it was told after having seen the real color?
Regards
Massimo
Seawinder

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 11:54:52 PM »

Hi Pip,
it looks more tan than the one we've discussed on Britmodeller, but is it an impression of these photos or it was told after having seen the real color?
Regards
Massimo

Hi Massimo. Not quite sure how to answer that. I guess I'm basing my comments on my impressions of the photos. On my monitor at least, the AMT-4 looks pretty similar to what I've been using on my Yak-1, so it seems like a decent bet that the AMT-1 as photographed is pretty close to what came out of the bottle. Bottom line, for me the colors in the new acrylic lacquer line are much more satisfactory than the aqueous acrylics. Can't speak to the enamels since I've never had them in my hands.

Cheers,
Pip
learstang

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 05:07:49 AM »

Strange.  Now those colours look like what I painted my first arrow in, and I had become convinced that my colours were too light!  I wonder if this modeller painted straight from the bottle, or lightened them?  That AMT-1 looks a lot like the Testors Model Master Afrika Dunkelgrau '42 flat enamel that I've been using for AMT-1 on the arrow I'm currently working on.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Seawinder

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 05:41:47 AM »

Strange.  Now those colours look like what I painted my first arrow in, and I had become convinced that my colours were too light!  I wonder if this modeller painted straight from the bottle, or lightened them?  That AMT-1 looks a lot like the Testors Model Master Afrika Dunkelgrau '42 flat enamel that I've been using for AMT-1 on the arrow I'm currently working on.

Regards,

Jason

I'll ask him.

Pip
Tyronesdaddy

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 04:48:23 PM »

All three topside colours appear significantly lighter than their aqueous counterparts I have used.
Seawinder

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 05:03:12 PM »

All three topside colours appear significantly lighter than their aqueous counterparts I have used.

That has been my experience too with the AMT-4 (the appearance of which I like better than the aqueous acrylic). OTOH, the AMT-7 is just about the same in both paint lines.

Cheers,
Pip
Seawinder

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 05:09:23 PM »

Here's the response of the builder to my query at the HyperScale thread:

"I didn't lighten the top surface colors though the weathering process may have to some extent. I did play with the undersurface in that I used WEM's French Sky Blue rather than the Akan AMT-7.

"I will say that for some reason the AMT-1 does look more tan in the pics than it actually is on the model. I think this may just be due to my lighting or white balance setting rather than anything else. The actual AMT-1 has a more cool tone when sprayed straight from the bottle."

So perhaps the new line AMT-1 isn't so different from that of the old line. I guess somebody'll just have to buy a bottle and see for himself. One nice thing is that Linden Hill is now selling at least some of the acrylic lacquers (including AMT-1) individually.

Pip
learstang

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 05:56:27 PM »

Thank you for the information, Pip!  I see where AKAN now have the three-colour camouflage set (actually it also includes AMT-7 and I believe A-14) just for the Il-2 - I really need to buy that in the acrylic lacquer.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Seawinder

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 06:29:08 PM »

Pip you get me sick!

I bought this paint two month ago un Obchod valka (cz)
so there is and old one and a new one?
I thought the Akan AMT-1 was much more greyish than the pic shows!

anyway I have to use the one I have on my U-2 this afternoon  and I will show you the result..

see you soon!
Xan
Hi Xan.
If you mean I make you sick, I'm very sorry!  Sad

The "new" ones are a line of acrylic lacquers that Akan introduced earlier this year. They behave very similarly to the Mr. Color paints. I can't tell from the picture of your bottle whether it's enamel or aqueous acrylic, but the new line is different from both of those. The picture of your plane makes me think you've got the aqueous acrylics, which are apparently consistently darker than both the enamel and acrylic lacquer paints. I'll look forward to more pictures of the U-2. I'll be posting pictures of my Yak-1 (done with the new colors) in a day or two as well.

Cheers,
Pip
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 05:34:09 AM by Seawinder » Logged
xan

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 10:42:14 PM »

I pip and the others,
I removed my post because I didn't understand that you were talking about a new type of paint.
Indeed, I use acqueous acrilyc.

I started painting the AMT-1 of my U-2 but I will hav to stop it...

How can be the difference so big?

and first, wich one is the real one?
I though akan paint (I mean the old one, were based in Orlov and Vaklamov, even done in colaboration with them)
who work with Akan for the new line?
Does Akanine say He was wrong with the acqueous acrilyc to change so much his coulours ?
Does someone see anything in scalemodels .ru ?
well meanwhile, I'm afraid I will have to let my U-2 in stand by...

how, I see know that in your post there are some answer:

"I will say that for some reason the AMT-1 does look more tan in the pics than it actually is on the model. I think this may just be due to my lighting or white balance setting rather than anything else. The actual AMT-1 has a more cool tone when sprayed straight from the bottle."
So perhaps the new line AMT-1 isn't so different from that of the old line. I guess somebody'll just have to buy a bottle and see for himself. One nice thing is that Linden Hill is now selling at least some of the acrylic lacquers (including AMT-1) individually.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 11:18:12 PM by xan » Logged

KL

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 11:36:02 PM »

How can be the difference so big?

and first, wich one is the real one?

Olive green and light brown on your first photo look very good - like real AMT-4 and AMT-1  Grin
AMT-4 should look like chlorophille and AMT-1 should look like sand.

Dark gray on your first photo does NOT look like real AMT-12 -it's way too light!!!  No contrast, so the whole plane looks washed out...

Second photo is very problematic: green and light brown are too brownish-greenish  Huh  Only dark gray on wing looks convincing.

HTH,
KL
xan

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 12:05:29 AM »

Hi mister K I was waiting for your point of view...
wel what you say is quite problematic because the photo below is made wuth "clasical" Akan who were considered as the most accurate...

I started to paint AMT-1 with the "old" AMT-1 wich is very greyish too

Massimo use a greyish AMT-1 too in is profiles:

Do we have any colour pic of AMT-1 real paint ? a plane with original colour or colours pics?

Xan

KL

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 12:17:45 AM »

No real planes, no wrecks, no colour photos; only photos from "Albom Nakrasok".  FYI, AMT-1 chip in Albom is very grayish.  Smiley  So, you are safe with your "old" AKAN paint.

Real problem is when AMT-1 turns greenish...

Saludos,
KL
xan

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 12:37:34 AM »

All right, if the only AMT-1 we have is the Albom Nakrasok,  where the AMT-1 is very grey indeed

why do you say it had to be sand color ? (and you are not the only one , most of profile show AMT-1 sand color?)

Xan
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:51:36 AM by xan » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: