Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Polikarpov I-16 'red 14' colour photo upgrade
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 12:26:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Polikarpov I-16 'red 14' colour photo upgrade  (Read 6658 times)
Troy Smith

« on: May 08, 2013, 02:51:35 AM »

found here
http://kevsaviationpics.blogspot.co.uk [well worth a browse]

And very pretty 109 too boot.  Not seen this one before, looks to have a silver band behind the red nose section.  
A quick check shows it's posed here http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/i16/i16painting/I16painting.htm
but in lower quality 2
Color photo of an I-16 without the spinner with an unsuspectable red nose. The number on the tail seems a red 14 outlined in white."

I think the  white outline is just digital distortion. 
Having the 109 in shot allows some idea of colour distrotion, as the 109 colours are well known, if someone wanted to adjust colur balance in phtoshop for example.
The picture caption says it's a 109G-2, but judging by the lack of nose cooling scoops and lack of heavy canopy framing, I'd say it's a F, not sure of subtype.

hope of interest, if nothing else an image upgrade for the I-16 page.

Anyone know which sub type this is?

cheers
T
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:01:16 AM by Troy Smith » Logged
learstang

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 06:04:51 AM »

Troy, that silver band behind the engine I believe was some sort of heat-dissipating device for the engine.  You also see it on the radial-engined Lavochkins.  It is actually metal, not painted silver.  You may already know all this, but it's not clear from your comments.  At any rate, looking at that I-16, I don't see the starboard radio hatch, so perhaps this is a tip 10?  No cannons are apparent, so it's not a tip 17, and you can't tell if it has a tailwheel or not, which might indicate a later series I-16 (although even a tailwheel is not diagnostic, as it could have been retro-fitted, as I've seen with I-15bis').  I'm sure there are some Polikarpov experts (which I'm not) who can come to the rescue on this one.  Nice to see a colour photograph of a VVS aeroplane at any rate.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
B_Realistic

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 09:39:08 AM »

Thanks for the link. Cheesy
The Me-109 is a G2 and not a F2.
I think from JG54.
The F2 has a small rectangular window on the side just below the front windscreen.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 10:54:23 AM »

Hi Troy,
good scan indeed.
I think the  white outline is just digital distortion
Could be, but could be real. The contour of the red stars doesn't show the same effect. Most worrying, the red seems to come out of the profile of the stars. They could have been retouched because they often appear pink in color photos.

Hi Jason,
that silver band behind the engine I believe was some sort of heat-dissipating device for the engine.  You also see it on the radial-engined Lavochkins.  It is actually metal, not painted silver.
that band is to fix the engine cowling panels without leaving gaps or steps between them. I don't know if the word 'fastener' is right for it.

Regards
Massimo
xan

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 11:25:34 AM »

wonderfull pic.
AII blue is very grey isn't it ?

66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 05:17:44 PM »

Hi,
Red on the star goes far beyond star boundaries. Nothing similar on no. 14 and red part of the cowling. Interesting.

66misos

learstang

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 05:59:11 PM »

Hi Troy,
good scan indeed.
I think the  white outline is just digital distortion
Could be, but could be real. The contour of the red stars doesn't show the same effect. Most worrying, the red seems to come out of the profile of the stars. They could have been retouched because they often appear pink in color photos.

Hi Jason,
that silver band behind the engine I believe was some sort of heat-dissipating device for the engine.  You also see it on the radial-engined Lavochkins.  It is actually metal, not painted silver.
that band is to fix the engine cowling panels without leaving gaps or steps between them. I don't know if the word 'fastener' is right for it.

Regards
Massimo

Yes, Massimo, fastener is the proper word for it.  I didn't realise that's what it was.  Thank you for the information!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: