Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Baranov's Yak-1 "Red 1" 1/48 completed
Sovietwarplanes
April 30, 2024, 11:11:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Baranov's Yak-1 "Red 1" 1/48 completed  (Read 19014 times)
learstang

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 05:35:26 PM »

I can see pink, brown, and green, with some of the pink being more tannish.  I would have expected there to be some yellow from the nitroputtied fabric over the wood.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 06:02:26 PM »

Yes, it's on the ring too. I think it's metallic. Which is the overposition of colors, in your idea?
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 06:49:05 PM »

Yes, it's on the ring too. I think it's metallic. Which is the overposition of colors, in your idea?
Regards
Massimo

It appears to be green (probably AMT-4) over the pink, with the pink being over the brown.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 09:37:23 PM »

Hi,
IMHO that fuel gauge was surrounded by a red circle, which was painted in this case over the green. Look at the left upper corner of the photo showing real gauge. Boundaries of the red circle are visible there.

66misos

Seawinder

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 10:31:07 PM »

Hi,
IMHO that fuel gauge was surrounded by a red circle, which was painted in this case over the green. Look at the left upper corner of the photo showing real gauge. Boundaries of the red circle are visible there.

66misos

I'm not seeing that, Misos.

Cheers,
Pip
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 07:41:18 AM »

Hi,
Hi,
I see a small dark brown triangle perpendicular to the radius, but it's hard to say if it's the boundary of a wide red circle. Is there evidence of similar red circles from any other source?
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 07:59:14 AM »

Hi,
the plane was seen here:
http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1361.15
Not red circles, but a lot of mysterious shades.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 08:04:22 AM »

Yak-9 fuel gauge:

Seawinder

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 03:14:59 PM »

Yak-9 fuel gauge:

Yes, that photo I found elsewhere. Is it safe to assume that the Yak-3 used that type?

Cheers,
Pip
66misos

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2013, 10:19:06 PM »

Hi Massimo,

thank for link.
Hi,
the plane was seen here:
http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1361.15
Not red circles, but a lot of mysterious shades.
Regards
Massimo
Even pictures posted by myself Wink OK, no red circle.
As was discussed there yellow color is nitroputy. Black and green are camouflage colors. What is that red-brown color (on back side of fabric)?

66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 07:02:22 AM »

Hi Misos,
maybe a glue? Seems that the fabric is yellowish and the tan layer is underlying. But I marvel to find the same tan even over the ring of the gauge.
Something interesting is written on Colors of the falcons of Hornat, copied from V/O works. The material used to bond the fabric to the wood was supposed to be manufactured with a lead based compound, but lead was in short supply and was replaced by iron based compound on early spring 1943. This compound was susceptible to moisture and caused delamination of the wing surface. That problem involved Yak-1s built in Z.292. The iron compounds seems coherent with the reddish look of this layer.
Regards
Massimo
Seawinder

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 04:39:44 PM »

Here's a photo of the model with the fuel gauges as provided by KL. The photo is more washed out than the model -- it was hard to adjust the available lamp light.

Cheers,
Pip

learstang

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2013, 06:07:25 PM »

Still looks good, Pip!

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
66misos

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2013, 09:39:30 AM »

Hi,

were propeller blades on their back side on Baranov's Yak-1 painted black only partially (bare metal/silver root of the blade) or is that scratched black paint?

Something like this Yak-1 'army series' pre-production batch:

or these UTI-26 trainer prototypes:

I saw front side of the prop blades on production Yaks always painted black, although those prototypes have them bare metal.
Thank you for advice.

66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2013, 12:49:17 PM »

Hi Misos, looks really the early style of painting blades.  Strange, the shape of the rear windows is not of very early Yak-1s. Isn't there any photo from the front? Maybe they have utilized a spare propeller and have repainted it only in partial way... it's difficult to belive that all the front of the blades was left unpainted in 1942.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: