Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Za Rodinou Mig 3 Trumpeter 1/48
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 10:46:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Za Rodinou Mig 3 Trumpeter 1/48  (Read 11135 times)
Athos

« on: May 12, 2013, 12:08:55 PM »

Hi all,

here is another Mig 3, this time the Trumpeter late version. The paints are Akan plus Montex masks. Thanks for looking.

Seawinder

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 03:17:07 PM »

Very nice, Athos. Which Akan paints -- enamel, aqueous acrylic, or acrylic lacquers?

Cheers,
Pip
warhawk

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 04:11:31 PM »

Excellent work!
I like the tones of the upper camouflage.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 04:59:15 PM »

Hi Athos,
very nice model.
I see that the tail wheel doors are missing.

From the photos, seems that this plane had early type doors with a window for the protruding wheel instead of the bulged type. You'll have to scratchbuilt them.
Regards
Massimo
Athos

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 05:19:07 PM »

Thanks Warhawk, Hi all,

I see that the tail wheel doors are missing.

From the photos, seems that this plane had early type doors with a window for the protruding wheel instead of the bulged type. You'll have to scratchbuilt them.

Yes you're right Massimo, and in fact I forgot them. This picture will be usefull and I'll scratchbuilt the doors quickly. Wink

Which Akan paints -- enamel, aqueous acrylic, or acrylic lacquers?

Hi Pip, these are the aqueous acrylics.
learstang

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 05:47:38 PM »

Excellent job on the MiG-3, Athos!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 09:08:10 AM »

Hi Athos,

very nice work. You way of doing scratched color is very convincing. Shocked
Anyhow, all deffects on the planes in operational status had to be repaired and repainted asap. More info you coud find in the thread http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1530.0. That Mig-3 was "grounded" when photographed and I think there was not only color scratched to the metal but also a lot of dust, probaby mud a yellow nitroputy on fabric and yelowish ALG-1 primer on metal.

IMHO, the appearance of that plain could be a bit more colorfull.
Happy modelling.

66misos

B_Realistic

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 09:14:26 AM »

@Athos
I see that the white description of the real Mig-3 covers the first piece of the red star but not on your model?
Nevertheless the build and the colors are good.
@66Misos
Thanks for clearing that out and I'll take this in account the next time I weather a model. Cheesy
4bogreen

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 12:07:07 PM »

Looks very nice Athos, i Have some difficulties with the wingroots and wing air intakes on this plane. Did you have these problems also, or do i simply have a bad molding  Huh

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »

Hi all,
Anyhow, all defects on the planes in operational status had to be repaired and repainted asap.
For what I have seen on photos, wide parts of the wingroots and fillets of MiG-3s in general were chipped and seem to show natural metal.

This photo is an extreme case. I think it's metal, because mud would have covered the slot at the wingroot.
The left wingroot was much more weared because the pilot usually enters on this side.
On prewar-built MiGs (I don't know on later ones) the green was the base paint and the light blue was sprayed on; so I suppose that zinc chromate primer wasn't utilized on these parts. This would justify the massive loss of paint due to the feet of pilots and ground crew.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 04:19:40 PM »

Hi Massimo,
thank for explanation.
So OK, no primer for metal parts was used and paint on the metal parts is scratched directly to metal. Only damaged fabric on fuselage and tail should show yellow scratches.
However, that Mig-3 "Za rodinu" is grounded without any further maintenance. Just german observers and souvenir hunters. IMHO, all uppersurfaces should be dirty from dust, smudged/triturated by rain.

66misos

KL

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 06:06:34 PM »

For what I have seen on photos, wide parts of the wingroots and fillets of MiG-3s in general were chipped and seem to show natural metal.
...This photo is an extreme case. I think it's metal, because mud would have covered the slot at the wingroot.
On prewar-built MiGs (I don't know on later ones) the green was the base paint and the light blue was sprayed on; so I suppose that zinc chromate primer wasn't utilized on these parts.

It is known from period technical literature that zinc-chromate was widely used in Soviet aviation industry.  It was a preferred method of duralluminium anticorrosive protection.  Dozens of wrecks prove this:  duralluminium was always primed and then painted.

Mig-3 wasn't an exception - MiG-3 wrecks also show yellow zinc-chromate.

Athos, your model is not accurately weathered.  It looks like a Japanese Army plane - those were usually painted without priming and that's why paint peeled off.  Soviet planes were primed, like US planes.

Why making conclusions based on b/w photos, when facts are known from tech literature?

Regards,
KL
Athos

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 07:07:53 PM »

Hello everybody,

thanks for looking and questionning about this model. First of all I must confess that when modelling I do not try to get the same accuracy on my model that the one on the reference photo. My way of doing is sometimes an interpretation of reality. For example when A plane is seen grounded and damaged on a picture I imagine it has been operational before and had a different look. I try to imagine and create this difference so I allow myself some "artistic" licence...  Of course I am conscious this is not the way everybody act when modelling and painting a kit. Most modellers such as my friends Xan & Pascal are looking for perfect accuracy and I respect this choice but mine is slightly different and I tend to  be closer of an art drawing than of a photo. This is why my model is may be not accurately weathered and why the "za rodinou" inscription doesn't goes up to the red star but for that I have supposed the photographed "za rodinou" was probably not the single Mig to bear this slogan.

Cheers all.
KL

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »

Hi Athos,
now you know better how VVS planes weathered.  I hope you will use this in your next project.  Smiley

It would be interesting to see a model weathered in a similar way to your MiG-3, but with yellow primer between metal and camouflage paint.

Happy modelling,
KL
Athos

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 08:13:54 PM »

Hi Athos,
now you know better how VVS planes weathered.  I hope you will use this in your next project.  Smiley

It would be interesting to see a model weathered in a similar way to your MiG-3, but with yellow primer between metal and camouflage paint.

Happy modelling,
KL

I will try for the next one Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: