Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Yak-1 in 1:48 South Front (Baranov)
Sovietwarplanes
April 18, 2024, 10:34:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yak-1 in 1:48 South Front (Baranov)  (Read 10816 times)
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« on: May 17, 2013, 02:11:57 PM »

Hi,
I started this thread to further discus Baranov's Yak-1 I currently build. Pip, I do not want you to feel I need constantly discuss your kit. Wink I already posted the basic info about Baranov and this plane on http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1547.msg11768#msg11768.

So here I go.
Cockpit painted with Akan A-14, no aftermarket parts added:

Only setbelts will come.

Plane airbrushed by Akan 4BO:

Black fields are airbrushed by Revell acrylics Black:

Were propeller blades painted full or partially black?

They seems to be black here:

with scratched black paint on the back side:

However bare metal is visible and discussed on http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1594.msg12488#msg12488
Propeller blade is probably retouched. Note strangely painted panel bellow/behind canopy.
...looks really the early style of painting blades...it's difficult to believe that all the front of the blades was left unpainted in 1942...

These pictures from http://deruluft.livejournal.com/23727.html are on 1942:

Note propeller blades on the 2nd plane from the left - seems to be the plane from photo above - they look different (e.g. bare metal?) from the black blades on the 1st plane from the left, and also from others.

Regards,
     66misos
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:16:53 PM by 66misos » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 04:08:48 PM »

Hi Misos,
nice model. I hope to see it completed soon.
The photos of the line of Yaks are surprising. One looks to have a fully unpainted prop. Another seens to have only one or two blades unpainted. Am I wrong?
Regards
Massimo
Seawinder

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 04:43:46 PM »

Hi,
I started this thread to further discus Baranov's Yak-1 I currently build. Pip, I do not want you to feel I need constantly discuss your kit. Wink I already posted the basic info about Baranov and this plane on http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1547.msg11768#msg11768.

So here I go.
Cockpit painted with Akan A-14, no aftermarket parts added:

Only setbelts will come.

Plane airbrushed by Akan 4BO:
Black fields are airbrushed by Revell acrylics Black:

Propeller blade is probably retouched. Note strangely painted panel bellow/behind canopy.

Note propeller blades on the 2nd plane from the left - seems to be the plane from photo above - they look different (e.g. bare metal?) from the black blades on the 1st plane from the left, and also from others.

Regards,
     66misos

Hi Misos. The model looks very fine so far. I don't mind your talking about my build.  Smiley

It's interesting what you did with the disrupted camouflage on the port side. What photograph showed that?

When I put mine together, I had to cut off the lower portions of the internal framework because it wouldn't fit into the narrow gaps outside the radiator duct. You can't see it anyway when it's assembled, but I did wonder if I had screwed up somehow.

I think from the photo you posted of the line-up of planes that some may still have had silver propellers. Not sure about Baranov's.

Cheers,
Pip
66misos

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 05:10:54 PM »

Hi Pip,
thanks for comment.
It's interesting what you did with the disrupted camouflage on the port side. What photograph showed that?

I had to cut off the lower portions of the internal framework because it wouldn't fit into the narrow gaps outside the radiator duct...

I had to cut them too. I think it also recommended in the instruction sheet.

Now I tend to make black blades with scratched color showing underlying metal, probably something like this:

regards,
     66misos

66misos

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 09:34:50 AM »

Hi,

here is my first attempt with hair spray. B_Realistic, thanks for inspiration Wink

My Yak-1 propeller already painted black was airbrushed with Alclad Aluminium. After dry I apply two coats of local floor wax to protect Alclad layer.
I sprayed relatively thick layer of Wella hairspray (not conditioner!) directly from can.
Acrylics Revell Black airbrushed finally.

After some drying (while I cleaned airbrush) I took small handbrush with cut hair (to get hair shorter and harder), put some water over requested area and started chiping to find out how it works. When it is too wet then suddenly a big pieces of black color were removed. Also toothpick can be used. Little scratches can be done when black layer is relatively dry.

Firstly I try some practise on the wreck of 1:71 Avenger:

Then I try to repeat it on the propeller blades:

When everything done and dry I used 600 sandpaper to make surface smooth. Additional benefit is visible on Avanger - sanding highlighted raised details (e.g. panel lines here).
It all together lasted approximately 1 hour.

Resume - even used for the first time, the final result is for me much more satisfying than anything else I tried up to date. Cheesy And after more practise the results could be even better. Recommended.

66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 03:14:04 PM »

Hi Misos,
interesting work indeed. Would fit well for Japanese planes, but the typically worn wingroots of MiG-3 would benefit of this treatment.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 06:15:55 PM »

Very nice-looking Yak, 66misos!  Nice work with the metal weathering also.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
B_Realistic

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 09:42:41 AM »

@66Misos
A one lyer of hairspray is enough.
For the first time it's been done well.
Love the propellor.
Now you use this technique by using a first lighter version of the camo, using the hairspray technique and then the original camo.
The around the edges removing the top camo and the you'll see the lighter camo underneath.
66misos

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 10:24:46 AM »

Hi,
my Yak-1 is finally finished. My intention was to make plane as it appeared during photo session. As original Baranov's plane was destroyed a week earlier this was some other (old) plane even without radio. My interpretation of photos and events is that this old weathered and scratched plane (black and lighter green 4BO) was partially repainted (new black and not weathered AMT-4) where inscriptions and victory stars were intended to paint.
Not everything is done as originally intended but even though I like the final result.
Hope you like it too. Wink

66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 12:14:08 PM »

Hi Misos,
it looks very nice. Repaintings are well noticeable.
Regards
Massimo
jonbius

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 12:34:45 PM »

Very nice work! I really like how that turned out.

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
learstang

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 12:09:12 AM »

Excellent work - the weathering looks great!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
B_Realistic

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 08:20:04 AM »

The Yak-1 has a good weathering and it's a good representation of the real one.
66misos

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 06:14:08 PM »

Hi,

here is link from scalemodel.ru (text in Russian) with very nice photos of inscriptions on Yaks, including also Baranov's plane http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_42439_start_40.html

Regards,
     66misos

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: